U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:05 PM

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
A metal roof on solid sheathing with underlayment isn't that noisy. That reputation came from metal roofs on spaced out laths so you had the drum effect.
Exactly. I have a metal roof on my house and don't hear a thing when it rains. When it comes time to reroof the house I own in Knoxville I am definitely putting a metal roof on it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 09-23-2015, 12:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,783,847 times
Metal roofs are a traditional building method in most of the nation. You will see (or at least you did, in my youth) many older clapboard homes and log cabins with metal roofs.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,290,421 times
This is starting to make sense to me now-while driving along the route of the world longest yardsale on 127 thru Tn. we saw roll after roll of shiny bubble insulation- I bet that was used for the metal roof insulation-ya think?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM

404 posts, read 344,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I wonder if they are loud when it rains?
Yes, in my experience the rain is loud on a metal roof. I loved hearing the rain on the roof and miss it. I would love to have a metal roof again.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 AM

86 posts, read 70,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
My husband told me when he was a kid they loved the rain hitting on the roof. You can put the roof angwhere in country. My neighbor a couple houses up has one. Believe it was a southern state thing. Reason have no clue but think it had some advantage. You would have to check rules with HOA.

No HOA to worry about where we bought our land.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Another big issue in the southeast is heat: a shiny metal roof reflects more sunlight than traditional shingles; even more if a light color metal is used. I know of several that have white or silver roofs which reflect much more sunlight than they absorb.

So sunlight reflection instead of absorption, immune to flying sparks in a fire area, and will last the life of the house if the install is done correctly.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 AM

230 posts, read 254,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Another big issue in the southeast is heat: a shiny metal roof reflects more sunlight than traditional shingles; even more if a light color metal is used. I know of several that have white or silver roofs which reflect much more sunlight than they absorb.

So sunlight reflection instead of absorption, immune to flying sparks in a fire area, and will last the life of the house if the install is done correctly.
Reflective radiant barrier sheathing under a shingle roof would probably be just as effective for keeping heat out of the attic. Perhaps, more so. We actually have both, a metal roof sitting on reflective sheathing. It seemed highly redundant to me, but our builder said the increased cost over standard sheathing was minimal (under $1000 extra for our 2,000 sf house with oversized 2 1/2 car garage and workshop).

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,058,650 times
I just came back from Oregon/Washington. I saw many homes in the forests with metal roofs there (near the coastal areas and a bit inland).

Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 PM

23,637 posts, read 21,973,649 times
Metal Roofs here and any were else... Two kinds majority is corrugated square / rounded held down by screws with neoprene washer.. heat and cold expansion in time will cause them to leak. aka as a " Barn Roof "
Then you have the more expensive roof called standing seam.. no screws in the metal roof material.. held down by seams made in the metal on site when roof is installed.. most will last 50 years or more.. one of many companies. I have NO affiliation with this company..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLBl_dy2XQ

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 10-03-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,763,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Metal Roofs here and any were else... Two kinds majority is corrugated square / rounded held down by screws with neoprene washer.. heat and cold expansion in time will cause them to leak. aka as a " Barn Roof "
Then you have the more expensive roof called standing seam.. no screws in the metal roof material.. held down by seams made in the metal on site when roof is installed.. most will last 50 years or more.. one of many companies. I have NO affiliation with this company..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLBl_dy2XQ
Do people ground a metal roof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee