U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,316,868 times

Advertisements

Perhaps a place next/near someone that has pasture and barns ????

I'll send ya a DM....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:36 AM

105 posts, read 97,408 times
Thank you

Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 AM

786 posts, read 618,616 times
Bedford County is an AG county with your store requirements BUT something for 70K could easily put you in one of the rural drug areas. There are drugs everywhere but there are a few rural places In this county that you don't want to be.

Perry County is one of the last Middle Tennessee counties before West Tennessee starts. Their population has barely changed since the Civil War, no kidding. However, it could be a bit of a drive to WalMart, Lowers, and a hospital.

Down here in The Basin, a/k/a Tennessee Valley, we are privy to Louisiana style humidity these last few summers. I am 68, retired and still mucking stalls for two horses. The extreme humidity can be as obnoxious as the cold/damp winters when I lived on the OH/PA border.

I know there are a lot of rural areas up on the Cumberland Plateau with plenty of horseback riding opportunities. It stays a bit cooler up there and while humidity is still hard to take, it isn't as bad as down here in the Valley

Monterey is one town that comes to mind and there is an excellent barefoot trimmer in that area. I don't know about stores and hospitals

Good luck in your search, I hope you find something

Old 10-05-2015, 08:34 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNhomesteading View Post
I know it might sound a little crazy to move to a state and be unsure of exact location for purchase. After just generally researching the state, it seems like a great fit. I am just determined to make my dream of a rural life a reality. Frankly, I ain't getting any younger and it's number one on my bucket list. I'm a horse person and where I live now, it's an hour drive to a really nice barn. The board is very expensive (at least $750) and I hate having a pet I have to drive so far to visit. I'm happy to make a compromise in the house itself.
Keep in mind the Gainsboro and Celina area is very hilly, not the best for pasture. Much of the cheap land is on a rocky hillside. Try searching the Jamestown and surrounding area. You have Big South Fork and East Fork for riding and there is lots of rural areas.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 AM

21,036 posts, read 15,345,127 times
You really need to determine where you want to live first.

I would say your money is going to go farther in west TN, where it's flatter, hotter, and more rural. With that said, $70k with enough land for horses is basically going to get you a teardown for property.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Bedford County is an AG county with your store requirements BUT something for 70K could easily put you in one of the rural drug areas. There are drugs everywhere but there are a few rural places In this county that you don't want to be.

Perry County is one of the last Middle Tennessee counties before West Tennessee starts. Their population has barely changed since the Civil War, no kidding. However, it could be a bit of a drive to WalMart, Lowers, and a hospital.

Down here in The Basin, a/k/a Tennessee Valley, we are privy to Louisiana style humidity these last few summers. I am 68, retired and still mucking stalls for two horses. The extreme humidity can be as obnoxious as the cold/damp winters when I lived on the OH/PA border.

I know there are a lot of rural areas up on the Cumberland Plateau with plenty of horseback riding opportunities. It stays a bit cooler up there and while humidity is still hard to take, it isn't as bad as down here in the Valley

Monterey is one town that comes to mind and there is an excellent barefoot trimmer in that area. I don't know about stores and hospitals

Thanks for info. I live in Philadelphia which is VERY HUMID. This summer Miami had lower humidity than us. Good to hear from fellow horse person!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You really need to determine where you want to live first.

I would say your money is going to go farther in west TN, where it's flatter, hotter, and more rural. With that said, $70k with enough land for horses is basically going to get you a teardown for property.
I was thinking West as well. I've seen some nice mobile type home properties with acreage there. Based on my budget, I'll have to make concessions. Thank you

Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Keep in mind the Gainsboro and Celina area is very hilly, not the best for pasture. Much of the cheap land is on a rocky hillside. Try searching the Jamestown and surrounding area. You have Big South Fork and East Fork for riding and there is lots of rural areas.
Yeah, true. I'll be landing next weekend to start home shopping. Can't get any real feel for an area online. Thank you.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:25 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley;

Monterey is one town that comes to mind and there is an[B
excellent barefoot trimmer in that area[/b]. I don't know about stores and hospitals

Nora?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 PM

786 posts, read 618,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Nora?
Yes, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or