Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 8,729 times

Advertisements

My son and I are relocating to Tennessee. I will be transferring through work. There are facilities in Sevierville Bristol Morristown Johnson City that I could transfer to. I've plenty of research on the places but hear tons of misleading information on city data. I'm a single parent looking for a area with good schools close to the mountains but close to a grocery store. I rarely go out. No need for a place that has clubs. A good safe place to raise my son. We would like to have snow. Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I'm not that familiar with Morristown or Sevierville, but both Bristol and Johnson City could fulfill those needs, giving the edge to JC for the schools.
Tennessee High in BRISTOL, TN | Best High Schools | US News
Science Hill High in JOHNSON CITY, TN | Best High Schools | US News

Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 PM

320 posts, read 540,797 times
Johnson city is the largest city you listed, and is a college town.

Sevierville is a resort town will have the worst traffic.

All cities probably receive similar snowfall, with the least in Morristown.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Morristown is not that great of a place, to be honest. I mean, it is what it is: if you're forced to be there, it's not awful. But I would pick any of the other 3 places.

Bristol City Schools and Johnson City Schools are going to be the best for your child. Sevierville is fairly close to the Smokey Mountains, but Johnson City and Bristol are within striking distance of Roan Mountain and equally excellent facilities as the Smokeys without the massive amount of tourism that Sevier County receives. If you're looking for a quieter community, I would choose Bristol or Johnson City.

(My totally biased opinion: pick Johnson City. It's the best of the bunch.)

Old 11-18-2015, 05:15 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Morristown is not that great of a place, to be honest. I mean, it is what it is: if you're forced to be there, it's not awful. But I would pick any of the other 3 places.

Bristol City Schools and Johnson City Schools are going to be the best for your child. Sevierville is fairly close to the Smokey Mountains, but Johnson City and Bristol are within striking distance of Roan Mountain and equally excellent facilities as the Smokeys without the massive amount of tourism that Sevier County receives. If you're looking for a quieter community, I would choose Bristol or Johnson City.

(My totally biased opinion: pick Johnson City. It's the best of the bunch.)
Agreed on all counts. My first pick would also be Johnson City (by far), followed by Bristol, then Sevierville, and Morristown in a distant last place.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 8,729 times
Thank you for your responses. Amen friend of mine said there isn't much to do in Bristol except NASCAR. My son is 7. We love the outdoors but I know he will want some kid fun. I know sevierville is tourist. Is there anything else kid friendly in Johnson city or Bristol. Anybody know of before school and after school programs. I found out that there is a facility in Knoxville. I don't want to live there but is there any areas around Knoxville with the same criteria

Last edited by Sfinn; 11-18-2015 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinn View Post
My son and I are relocating to Tennessee. I will be transferring through work. There are facilities in Sevierville Bristol Morristown Johnson City that I could transfer to. I've plenty of research on the places but hear tons of misleading information on city data. I'm a single parent looking for a area with good schools close to the mountains but close to a grocery store. I rarely go out. No need for a place that has clubs. A good safe place to raise my son. We would like to have snow. Thank you for your time

There is a lot to do in Sevier County and the Mountains are right there, however as others have said the tourist traffic can be awful. You say you would like snow, well the snowiest part of Tennessee in up toward the Tri Cities, so Bristol and Johnson City would fulfill that need. None of the towns on your list are bad places, they all have their pros and cons.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 AM

677 posts, read 1,073,395 times
Johnson City or Bristol would be your best bet but I'd give the nod to Johnson City. Great schools and right next to the mountains. There is the Hands On Regional Museum and the Gray Fossil Site and Museum that would be great for kids along with Bright's Zoo. There is minor league baseball in the Johnson City Cardinals along with Division I college sports at ETSU.

Bristol is only about 30 minutes from Johnson City but the schools aren't quite as good. Can't comment on schools in Sevierville or Morristown but Sevierville is a major tourist trap with horrible traffic and Morristown sort of seems like an older run-down factory town.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 AM

412 posts, read 451,484 times
I vote for Johnson City. I wouldn't wish Sevierville on my worst enemy. Well, actually, I might.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinn View Post
Thank you for your responses. Amen friend of mine said there isn't much to do in Bristol except NASCAR. My son is 7. We love the outdoors but I know he will want some kid fun. I know sevierville is tourist. Is there anything else kid friendly in Johnson city or Bristol. Anybody know of before school and after school programs. I found out that there is a facility in Knoxville. I don't want to live there but is there any areas around Knoxville with the same criteria
I would vote for Johnson City as it is 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Sevierville when you want the things there. It is easy to go to Ashville, NC from Johnson City as well. I live in Sevier County, but in a rural community and avoid Sevierville and Pigeon Forge like the plague except for a visit to a specific business, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee