U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:36 PM

105 posts, read 97,408 times

Advertisements

[quote=Geneyus;41844910]I worked the night shift for several years, and I saw the following in urban neighborhoods: bobcats, coyotes, fox, deer, skunk, and armadillo. There have been black bear and cougar sightings in all parts of TN.

Last year, there was a news story about an unknown animal jumping over 6' fences in Cordova and ripping dogs to shreds. If you know anything about Cordova, you know it's packed with housing and commercial properties.
Mysterious Beast Killing Dogs In Cordova Neighborhood | WREG.com

Personally, I don't know why people buy little dogs that are at the bottom of the food chain that must be taken care of. Dogs should serve a purpose. Buy a German Shepherd that will protect your home, chase off other predators, and alert you to trouble. If your dog is under 5 lbs, I'd worry about hawks and falcons as well.[/QUOTE

I currently have a large German Shepherd, but mom wants a smaller dog to cuddle. My Shepherd ain't cuddly. ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 10:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,838,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNhomesteading View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I worked the night shift for several years, and I saw the following in urban neighborhoods: bobcats, coyotes, fox, deer, skunk, and armadillo. There have been black bear and cougar sightings in all parts of TN.

Last year, there was a news story about an unknown animal jumping over 6' fences in Cordova and ripping dogs to shreds. If you know anything about Cordova, you know it's packed with housing and commercial properties.
Mysterious Beast Killing Dogs In Cordova Neighborhood | WREG.com

Personally, I don't know why people buy little dogs that are at the bottom of the food chain that must be taken care of. Dogs should serve a purpose. Buy a German Shepherd that will protect your home, chase off other predators, and alert you to trouble. If your dog is under 5 lbs, I'd worry about hawks and falcons as well.
I currently have a large German Shepherd, but mom wants a smaller dog to cuddle. My Shepherd ain't cuddly. ]
My German Shepherd is 110 lbs, and he just started being more snuggly this year at 6 years old. The first couple of years he was all about playing, running, wrestling, and chewing on me. Now, he just wants to be petted and loved on. If yours is younger, I bet he gets cuddly later on.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:21 AM

355 posts, read 271,795 times
Which creatures burrow into holes with a 7-12" diameter?

I have a few of these in the woods behind my house.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:56 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,316,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
Which creatures burrow into holes with a 7-12" diameter?

I have a few of these in the woods behind my house.
Most likely a groundhog, also known as a woodchuck....

Old 11-08-2015, 08:47 AM

355 posts, read 271,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Most likely a groundhog, also known as a woodchuck....
That makes sense ... I haven't seen groundhogs in my yard but I have seen them as roadkill

Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 PM

105 posts, read 97,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
My German Shepherd is 110 lbs, and he just started being more snuggly this year at 6 years old. The first couple of years he was all about playing, running, wrestling, and chewing on me. Now, he just wants to be petted and loved on. If yours is younger, I bet he gets cuddly later on.

Yes, mine just turned 2. Lol, now I only have to wait 4 more years

Old 11-12-2015, 02:29 AM

5,861 posts, read 6,935,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
There are coyotes in all of Tennessee.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/coyote

There are so many of them, see them all the time. They are constantly yelping behind my house. Tonight I almost hit one on my way home from work. I am in East TN, but Im sure West TN is crawling with them too. Coyotes are becoming a problem in a lot of areas.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 PM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
While it's some distance away and through the woods, we can distinguish the barks of the yotes from the LGDs. Once in a while, the sounds are closer as one pack of LGDs alerts others, some of them "next door". We can track the movements of the yotes by the sounds as they move around us. It is one of the many reasons our kitties are indoors at night while being allowed to hang out in the yard during the day.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 PM

23,665 posts, read 21,998,807 times
East TN Wildlife

Old 12-07-2015, 10:36 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
I saw a sounder of wild hogs along side the road on my way to work. First time I've seen that. At first I thought the one closest to road was a bear cub. It was barely daylight and my vision is not what it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or