Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 07:03 PM

9,675 posts, read 9,348,789 times

Advertisements

The Human Rights Campaign has released scores for Tennessee's six largest cities. Murfreesboro scored dead last at just 12 points. Nashville scored the highest at 66 points. Thoughts?

Total Scores:
Nashville: 66
Memphis: 56
Chattanooga: 35
Knoxville: 31
Clarksville: 17
Murfreesboro: 12

Murfreesboro scores low on LGBT equality

HRC's Municipal Equality Index | Human Rights Campaign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 05:37 AM

569 posts, read 1,423,537 times
I had posted in another thread. Nashville passed a non discrimination ordinance years ago. Then, the state legislature created a law to ban it. That portion of the survey is worth 30 points. TN cities will never have a great score. However, as a gay man....I feel pretty lucky to live in Nashville. I'm also grateful Lee Beaman does not represent me politically (even though he has an awful lot of influence over the more marginal state politicians).

Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 AM

9,461 posts, read 10,779,726 times
Murfreesboro is a nice city, and so are most of the places on that list. Tennessee is a religious conservative state that is oriented toward family values. Some people are offended by that, and that is their right. If they feel strongly enough against the predominate values of the state then they can consider moving to a place more aligned to their worldview and political outlook. Lists and studies like this are meant to shame us into conforming to the values others say we should have. Having said that I believe Tennessee is a live and let live state. I believe a gay person can live here and not be bothered or harassed and that is the way it should be. That does not mean however that a vocal minority should be able to dictate policy or values to the majority. People who do not live here should not be able place these labels on us because we don't do things the way they want us too.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:02 AM

569 posts, read 1,423,537 times
I was just talking about discrimination....nothing more nothing less...

Old 12-19-2015, 01:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 17,192,587 times
Quote:
I believe a gay person can live here and not be bothered or harassed and that is the way it should be.
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I am a gay man who grew up in Tennessee. My ex husband had his clothes set on fire when they were still on his body. My friends there have had death threats against their lives. I was on a date one time in Shelby Forest and we were physically prevented from leaving by rednecks in a big truck while they taunted us and called us f a g g o t s and q u e e r s and told us they were gonna beat our a s s e s. This was 2013, not 1975.

Don't be ridiculous, dude. Just because you haven't experienced discrimination doesn't mean it's not out there. Policy to protect the minority is the EXACT responsibility of the majority. Even in your so-called conservative, family-values Tennessee.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:24 PM

1,683 posts, read 808,888 times
Being a so-called "conservative christian" means never having to be sorry for the presence of horrendous human rights violations in your area. Possibly the reason why a steeple resembles a giant dunce cap.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:45 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,946,845 times
As a gay black man I lived in memphis for five years and didn't have any issues with being gay being presented to me anymore than St. Louis or Chicago.

I would say that I dont like the politcal climate in the state. It seems so anti progressive in too many ways.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:02 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,561,719 times
Quote:
If they feel strongly enough against the predominate values of the state then they can consider moving to a place more aligned to their worldview and political outlook.
Harumph. I've lived in TN almost all my life, my business and friends are here, love the climate and scenery. Very ironic to find a transplant telling me to "love it or leave it".

Fortunately I'm not alone in feeling more inclusive. Here's a recent quote from my Mayor;

We know that a great city opens its arms to celebrate and nurture the diversity of its people – from white collar to blue collar; from labor to management; from every neighborhood north, south, east, west, and downtown; people of all races and colors; people of all abilities; gay and straight; people of all faiths; from the youngest to the oldest; from the richest to the poorest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee