U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 04:57 AM

1,811 posts, read 5,395,325 times

Advertisements

I tried to find this info but could not. Does anyone know if there is a law requiring stores/restaurants to post whether open carry is allowed inside? I thought there was a law that they had to post whether they allowed guns in general. I have not been noticing any signs on any doors at all and I'm surprised. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2016, 06:41 AM

355 posts, read 270,804 times
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Apparently Handgunlaw doesn't wanting people linking directly to their pdf pages. Go here and click on the state: Handgunlaw.us

In Tennessee, carrying a firearm in public "with intent" (i.e., loaded) is generally illegal unless you have a handgun carry permit (HCP) or equivalent from another recognized state. There is no legal difference between open vs concealed carry in the state. "Car carry" in your own personal vehicle is legal at all times, but without an HCP your weapon may not leave the car loaded except in cases of self defense.

If someone goes to the trouble of getting a handgun carry permit they are permitted to carry open or concealed anywhere in the state with certain exceptions:
- Schools, courts, jails, federal facilities, etc. (see link above for more details)
- Any private property where the owner or representative has posted a gun-buster sign at all entrances. Crossing a signed door while carrying is actually illegal and you can theoretically be prosecuted (no more carry permit). That said, I am not aware of anyone actually being prosecuted under that law.
- Even without a sign, a property owner can ask you to leave at any time for any reason. Not leaving would be trespassing, but that isn't nearly as severe a penalty as crossing a signed door.

So no sign means you can carry if you have a HCP or out-of-state equal.

Some locations (usually in rural areas) pander to the pro-gun crowd by posting signs specifically stating that carry is allowed, but those signs are redundant. Most locations are not signed for the simple reason that a pro-gun sign would offend the anti-gun types while an anti-gun sign would offend the pro-gun types.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:44 AM

Thank you both! I can't believe there aren't some businesses that would allow CC but not OC.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:57 AM

I should have checked that link.

I have read that some businesses in some Tennessee cities have seen a decrease in business after posting gun-buster signs.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 AM

yeah I'm sure they have. But I wouldn't think allowing CC only would hurt them.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
yeah I'm sure they have. But I wouldn't think allowing CC only would hurt them.
True ... probably would attract more business if they advertised pro cc.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM

29 posts, read 43,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
True ... probably would attract more business if they advertised pro cc.
They would probably loose some of the anti-gun supporters. So not really much for the business gain. Politicizing any political topic in your business will probably gain you nothing. Politics have this country divided almost perfectly in half. It is impossible to have an opinion any longer with out offending someone.

Last edited by JMT; 01-29-2016 at 04:42 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wis-ski View Post
They would probably loose some of the anti-gun supporters. So not really much for the business gain. Politicizing any political topic in your business will probably gain you nothing. Politics have this country divided almost perfectly in half. It is impossible to have an opinion any longer with out offending someone.
My guess is that there are more pro 2nd amendment (pro-gun) citizens in Tennessee than anti 2nd amendment (anti-gun) citizens but I agree that politicizing a business is not a good practice.

I also agree that politics have this country divided almost perfectly in half ... but isn't that by design?

Last edited by JMT; 01-29-2016 at 04:42 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thank you both! I can't believe there aren't some businesses that would allow CC but not OC.
I don't think this is possible. Again, there is no legal difference between OC and CC in Tennessee. You either have a carry permit or you don't. Carrying is permitted on premises or it isn't.

I suppose it would possible to post a sign prohibiting OC while allowing CC, but it wouldn't carry the same legal weight as a gunbuster sign. It would be the same as someone being asked to leave a non-posted business by a manager. It would also generate lots of unnecessary angst because most people simply do not understand the law. The pro-gun types would get mad because it would appear to be an infringement of carry rights; anti-gun types would get mad because concealed carry would still be allowed. It would be a lose-lose.

And for what it's worth, rural areas (sparse police force/protection, few people, mostly private land, more wildlife) are populated by mostly pro-gun types. Any business that posts a gunbuster in a rural area might as well post a "Closing Soon" sign at the same time. Urban areas have more anti-gun types and more stores where guns aren't allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I also agree that politics have this country divided almost perfectly in half ... but isn't that by design?
No, it isn't, in spite of what the news implies. It's more like 25% liberal, 30% conservative, and 45% somewhere in the middle. The 45% is the reason there are such things as swing states in national elections, and they are the ones keeping things from going too far to either extreme. If things start getting too far to one side more moderates switch over to bring things back in balance.

But if you listen to only your side it appears to always be 55% [your side] and 45% [other side], with the other side always cheating to get their way. And it doesn't matter which side is yours... it applies either way.

Take carrying... I was in favor of the recent changes allowing carry in restaurants that served alcohol, with removing the local opt-out for carrying in parks, and allowing someone with a HCP to always have a weapon in a vehicle (guns in trunks law). With training, background check, and fingerprints on file I couldn't think of a single good reason why I should have to leave my weapon at home just because one of my stops during the day happened to be to drop off paperwork at school, or taking my kid to soccer practice, or stopping to eat lunch in a restaurant that happened to serve beer.

But now some are trying to go to "constitutional carry", which means even the most dimwitted, mentally deficient, narcissistic adult may carry a loaded weapon anywhere any time (except for schools, etc.) with no knowledge of self-defense law or even how to properly aim and fire. I am totally against this, and if it gets brought up again I will contact my representatives again. I consider it to be the same as driving a car. Anyone of any age may own a car. Anyone may drive a car on private property (my young kids have both driven vehicles and fired weapons on private property). But if you want to operate a deadly weapon in public (either a handgun or a 2-ton missile on wheels) you should have to undergo training and prove you have minimal competency. The second amendment provides a necessary right, but it is not a suicide pact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee