U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 21,153 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My family is looking to relocate to Tennessee hopefully this coming summer, we are a pretty big family, my husband and I in our early 30s. 4 wee ones ages 9, 6, 4, and 2. Now we originally were looking into Wisconsin, but due to recent health issues for myself it just gets to dang cold. Also looking over there for the GREEN. We are sick of the dry brown desert of nothingness.

That being said I have been looking and looking and I still cannot make up my mind on where to go, so maybe you all can help me narrow this down a little bit more. Here is what we are looking for,

*A good school system, with extra activities, my oldest loves football, if he could he would play in his sleep. And the other 3 will be starting soon. So i want to make sure they get a good start. My oldest i am afraid when we move standards will be so different he will be behind, and we will be doing anything and everything to fix that.

*Lower crime rate, now i know there is crime everywhere but i want to be able to feel safe enough to let my kids play in the front yard or ride a bike up and down the street without having to fear something will happen. And no i dont have that where i live now, but its a fear I have moving somewhere bigger.

*Good cost of living, from what i can tell just about all of Tennessee is good about that. Here property taxes look to be a little less but we do have income tax, we also pay tax on food, heck everything is taxed. Our tax rate is 6% so what is it there?

*Big but not hige city, we are in a town of about 8,000 and everyone knows everyone, your business ends up being everyone's business. I would like to escape the drama and lack of privacy of small town living.

*My husband does landscape right now but is in the process of finishing up his cdl, how is that job market?

*We are an outdoor family, and would like to live somewhere that meets that, parks, zoos, hiking, fishing, farmers markets, carnival/fairs, lots of activities, even just walking around the neighborhood(safely). We would like to be in an active city, where people are out and about and just having wholesome family fun.

I do have more but lets start with these and maybe just maybe I can start narrowing it down. I have narrowed down that Memphis is a No. That is as far as i have gotten. So any help, advice, suggestions would greatly appreciated. I hope everyone has a great new year and thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM

I forgot to mention trees, we want lots of treen everywhere. Green and trees. Please and thank you

Old 01-07-2016, 12:14 PM

11,609 posts, read 31,794,417 times
You've pretty much described Cookeville. It's a town of about 32,000 with a mid-major university, located in a part of Tennessee filled with waterfalls, lakes, and rivers. One of the largest trucking companies in the country is headquartered in Cookeville (Averitt Express), and others also have trucking hubs in the area. Averitt currently has openings for drivers in Cookeville:

https://www.averittexpress.com/index.jsp

In addition, Academy Sports + Outdoors is opening a 1.6 million square foot distribution center in Cookeville which will be coming online within the next few months. They're definitely going to be hiring a bunch of truck drivers.

http://www.academy.com/shop/store/Ca...mmc=UV_careers

Schools in Cookeville are excellent, and it also has open enrollment so you can live anywhere in the county and send your kids to any school you want as long as there's room.

Cookeville is an hour from the Nashville airport which has--by far--the cheapest air fares and best connections for those times when you want to head back out west or your family wants to come here. (It's the only airport in TN with non-stop service to SLC, for example, and it's a hub for Southwest Airlines.)

Housing is inexpensive, taxes are low, and the city has a lot of family friendly activities: children's theater, children's library, children's museum, parks, playgrounds (including an all-inclusive handicapped-friendly playground that just opened downtown), railroad museum, YMCA, youth sports, farmers markets, etc.

Here are some pictures of the city and the area around it:

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 01-07-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 AM

That looks like an amazinh place, but my husband said he would like more sun... we looked at the index and its got more than we do for cloudy skies. I appreciate your input tho, iys has definitely opened our eyes more about the different communities around there.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:30 AM

355 posts, read 271,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinsclan6 View Post
That looks like an amazinh place, but my husband said he would like more sun... we looked at the index and its got more than we do for cloudy skies. I appreciate your input tho, iys has definitely opened our eyes more about the different communities around there.
I wouldn't use any published statistic on how cloudy the skies are to determine where to live. That data could be and probably is wrong. I lived for decades in Southern California near the beach and the statistics for my home town (Huntington Beach) claimed to have much more average sun than Cookeville. But I have lived in Cookeville now for three years and I get much more sun here than Huntington Beach has now. Those statistics are apparently based on old data and don't take into consideration the new normal of cloudy skies these days generated by persistent contrails and resulting cirrus clouds and heavy overcast that block the sun more now than ever before. Frequent cloudy skies are everywhere now. You should see how cloudy Las Vegas is these days compared to how sunny it was back 20 years ago.

We get plenty of sun in the Cookeville area.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:14 PM

9,518 posts, read 13,357,488 times
Quote:
I cannot link to THAT competitors site, but it shows Emmett has 210 sunny days compared to Cookeville at 208 sunny days.
It also looks as though most of your sunny days are in the summer with a lot of cloudy winter days, compared to TN where it's more evenly distributed throughout the entire year (and a little cloudcover on hot summer days can sometimes be a welcome relief here, lol)
Also, here in Bristol we have a lot of days that are cloudy, but they aren't gloomy, if that makes sense. Rainbow making kind of days, clouds over here, sunshine peeking through over there. I imagine it's similar in Cookeville.
from one of our regulars posters in the tri-cities forum, clouds and sunshine:
IMG_3449.1 2-2_zpsk7rnv1s8.jpg Photo by kamoshika93 | Photobucket

Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM

11,609 posts, read 31,794,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I cannot link to THAT competitors site, but it shows Emmett has 210 sunny days compared to Cookeville at 208 sunny days.
It also looks as though most of your sunny days are in the summer with a lot of cloudy winter days, compared to TN where it's more evenly distributed throughout the entire year (and a little cloudcover on hot summer days can sometimes be a welcome relief here, lol)
Also, here in Bristol we have a lot of days that are cloudy, but they aren't gloomy, if that makes sense. Rainbow making kind of days, clouds over here, sunshine peeking through over there. I imagine it's similar in Cookeville.
from one of our regulars posters in the tri-cities forum, clouds and sunshine:
IMG_3449.1 2-2_zpsk7rnv1s8.jpg Photo by kamoshika93 | Photobucket
Not to mention it's hard to have so much greenery without rain, and for rain we need clouds. Honestly, the only time I think it's "gloomy" around here is when we have cloudy winter days. Otherwise, like you and Jumeby said, it certainly doesn't feel gloomy around here at all. I also appreciate those respites from the summer sun when we the occasional overcast summer days to cool things down a bit.

I've lived in northern Utah which has very similar weather to Emmett, Idaho. I also had a serious girlfriend in neighboring Boise which I visited many, many times. I experienced a lot more gloomy weather out there, especially in the winter, than I have ever experienced in Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 PM

20,031 posts, read 20,528,200 times
Quote:
Hi all,
My family is looking to relocate to Tennessee hopefully this coming summer, we are a pretty big family, my husband and I in our early 30s. 4 wee ones ages 9, 6, 4, and 2. Now we originally were looking into Wisconsin, but due to recent health issues for myself it just gets to dang cold. Also looking over there for the GREEN. We are sick of the dry brown desert of nothingness.

That being said I have been looking and looking and I still cannot make up my mind on where to go, so maybe you all can help me narrow this down a little bit more. Here is what we are looking for,

*A good school system, with extra activities, my oldest loves football, if he could he would play in his sleep. And the other 3 will be starting soon. So i want to make sure they get a good start. My oldest i am afraid when we move standards will be so different he will be behind, and we will be doing anything and everything to fix that.

*Lower crime rate, now i know there is crime everywhere but i want to be able to feel safe enough to let my kids play in the front yard or ride a bike up and down the street without having to fear something will happen. And no i dont have that where i live now, but its a fear I have moving somewhere bigger.

*Good cost of living, from what i can tell just about all of Tennessee is good about that. Here property taxes look to be a little less but we do have income tax, we also pay tax on food, heck everything is taxed. Our tax rate is 6% so what is it there?

*Big but not hige city, we are in a town of about 8,000 and everyone knows everyone, your business ends up being everyone's business. I would like to escape the drama and lack of privacy of small town living.

*My husband does landscape right now but is in the process of finishing up his cdl, how is that job market?

*We are an outdoor family, and would like to live somewhere that meets that, parks, zoos, hiking, fishing, farmers markets, carnival/fairs, lots of activities, even just walking around the neighborhood(safely). We would like to be in an active city, where people are out and about and just having wholesome family fun.

I do have more but lets start with these and maybe just maybe I can start narrowing it down. I have narrowed down that Memphis is a No. That is as far as i have gotten. So any help, advice, suggestions would greatly appreciated. I hope everyone has a great new year and thanks for any help.
Quote:
That looks like an amazinh place, but my husband said he would like more sun... we looked at the index and its got more than we do for cloudy skies.
Perhaps you should start with: *low cloud index

and go from there.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 PM

5,765 posts, read 3,047,758 times
I think you pretty much described Cookeville as someone mentioned or Murfreesboro. Both have good education systems, Univ/College, though I think Murfreesboro is now a bit larger than Cookeville. (Note, I don't live in either one, so I'm neutral there). Between the two Murfreesboro probably has more employment opportunities and more school districts to choose from.

There are also possibilities around Chattanooga. I've seen it listed as one of the top places to live for quality of life, but the school system is definitely lower (lots of private schools in the area) though some of the outlying areas are better.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,019,807 times
Guess this caught my attention since I live in ID and lived in TN for seven years (just south of Nashville), although due to my job at that time, I was not full time in TN. And where I live it is very green, lots of trees but I'm out of that desert area that runs along the southern part of the state.

TN is a beautiful state too. I gave it serious consideration as a place to end up after retiring. But the two things that kept me away were the lack of mountains (and folks, I mean mountains; highest point east of the MS is not much higher than where I live and the mountains are a lot higher like around 12,000+) and the main decision was......HUMIDITY!

So where ID is dry, even where there are tall trees and green grass; TN is humid at least it was in middle TN. Humid in the way that at 7AM on a July day, outside on the deck reading a paper and drinking coffee sweat type of humidity.

As for areas to live...Spring Hill south of Nashville has good schools and I know it is growing and grew a lot since I left. So there probably is a good possibility for jobs. And being close to Nashville would probably help with the job searching.

And it was safe and everyone was friendly. I'm sure that the friendliness might have changed a bit since there was a large influx of out-of-staters moving into that area.

But today, I believe TN's economy is strong and never heard anything bad about their schools. I never had kids so can't really speak other than what I would read when in town.

Good luck, it is probably the best all around state in the southeast USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or