U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 717,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Yes (off topic), I know. There is a lot going on with that. The residents of Bristol Va/TN are just up in arms! (no pun intended). There are petitions and all sorts of things going on. There are businesses threatening to leave Virginia. I hope Mark Herring got a hefty sum for this unilateral decision since he is going to die on this sword.

For those of us that will be in VA and carrying we can apply for temporary permits.
Worst case scenario, there is an alternate route from Atlanta to Pittsburgh that adds less than 40 miles to the trip (and 38 minutes) and avoids Virginia altogether! I could use my laser/radar detector all the way AND I would always be in a state that recognizes my Georgia Carry Permit. Even though I don't 'carry' on my person very often, a Carry Permit is the only way to carry a concealed weapon in my vehicle legally in many areas.

The alternate route goes from Atlanta, through Tennessee and Kentucky (crossing thorough Lexington). Then it continues through Cincinnati before heading east thru Columbus and finally to Pittsburgh. I've ma the drive from from Atlanta to Lexington at least 10 times but that was when one of my close friends decided to go to college there (Asbury College). I feel so old when I realize that the final time I visited her ther/e before she graduated was 20 years ago! Oh well. I've also driven between Columbus and Pittsburgh, so I'm familiar with most of the drive via the alternative route.

I suppose the biggest concern I have about going to Pittsburgh using this route is the potential for traffic issues and delays in cities, primarily Cincinnati and Lexington and Columbus to a lesser extent. My original route had me going thru Chattanooga and Knoxville but I don't think there was another city until Pittsburgh after Knoxville!?? I'll be bypassing Charleston, WV (and is it really a major city) so now I have a decision to make.

Another plus for going via Kentucky and Cincinnati addresses another concern that I've had in the back of my mind. My car is 10 years old but only had 98k miles on it because I own two other vehicles and don't drive it all the time. It is a 2006 Mazda3 and I still love it, so I hang on to it. I have a 2015 Volvo S60 that would make the trip more comfortably (and actully gets better gas mileage than the Mazda), but it is leased and in 11months I'm already 4k miles over the allowance! If I keep it up for the remainder of the 3yr lease, I'll owe a check for $3k ($0.25/mile overage penalty) and i can't handle that (I could scrape the money together, but I would be very upset with my lack of discipline to stay within the contracted 12k miles per year. I've chanaged every flilter, the spark plugs and installed new plug wires, changed all fluids and even changed the synethic gear oil in the transmission. I did I also had the tires rotated and balanced a llittle earlier than the normal 7500 mile interval and I just installed new Yokohamas less than six month ago, so they're road-ready! Still, I've learned over the 10 years that I've had this car that almost anything can happen and repairs that are simple on most cars are like removing a kidney on mne! There are a LOT more Mazda dealers along the route that goes thru Cincinnati, which would give me a little reassurance that I could at least get the parts to fix it if someone went wrong. I already plan to take my tool kit and I have AAA plus Roadiside Assitance wity my insurance company. And the gun was reassuring in casee the car left me stranded in the middle of West Virginia! I watch Criminal Minds, I know what kind of sick, twisted people are out there and I want to have a fighting chance. Hell, if I get abducted and it looks like things are headed toward a re-enactment of the Ned Beatty ("squeal like a pig") scene from Deliverance, I could at least shoot myself to avoid that fate....

I know that guns in general are something that people feel very passionately about on both sides. But I started carrying one in my car after I was mugged at an ATM in 2005 (a drive-thru ATM and was inside my car). Eight months later, I was able to to stop a young woman from being raped when I herd her screaming for help as I left the my apartment around midnight on a Saturday night. I started running toward her the direction where the screams were coming from and I had to pass my car in the parking lot to get there, so I stoppe and grabed my gun. When I found her, she had been beaten in the face and had her head slammed into the concrete multiple times, he had her naked above the waist an had torn her shorts and had them halfway off. He was high on multiple illegal drugs and, thankfully, he wasn't armed so I forced him to let her go and lay down on the concrete until the police arrived. If he had been armed, I would have had no choice but to shoot and I'd sleep like a baby every night with a clear conscience if that had been the way it worked out. Instead, he returned to prison for three years (he was on parole) for parole violations. I figure that three years in prison was probably much worse than death anyway! I've always said that I would never kill someone when I could make them wish they were dead instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 AM

892 posts, read 473,096 times
Yes, Virginia. DO NOT SPEED. Lol I drove back home to Knoxville on an alternate route due to snow from upstate NY and really started to wonder why literally *no one* was doing a hair over 70. I saw tons of people pulled over so I googled "don't speed" and the search engine filled in the phrase "don't speed in Virginia" lol, um yeah. Glad I slowed down. Also, ANYTHING 15 or over in VA is automatic reckless driving, and I read they literally throw people in jail if they're going fast enough. Some guy, an out of state automotive journalist testing a new Camaro, got popped doing like 95 and had to spend 3 days in jail. No joke.

It was the worst and slowest 350 something miles I've ever driven. I'm the guy who took 26 hours flat to get from a West Hollywood to Knoxville when we moved back (a 31+ hr drive otherwise), so going that slow felt like an eternity. The miles pass by SIGNIFICANTLY faster at 85-90+ (100), lol.

But bottom line, I wouldn't go more than 5MPH over in VA.

Edit: Also, anything over 80 is automatic reckless. Gee wiz.

Last edited by Mister 7; 01-14-2016 at 02:16 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Yes, Virginia. DO NOT SPEED. Lol I drove back home to Knoxville on an alternate route due to snow from upstate NY and really started to wonder why literally *no one* was doing a hair over 70. I saw tons of people pulled over so I googled "don't speed" and the search engine filled in the phrase "don't speed in Virginia" lol, um yeah. Glad I slowed down. Also, ANYTHING 15 or over in VA is automatic reckless driving, and I read they literally throw people in jail if they're going fast enough. Some guy, an out of state automotive journalist testing a new Camaro, got popped doing like 95 and had to spend 3 days in jail. No joke.

It was the worst and slowest 350 something miles I've ever driven. I'm the guy who took 26 hours flat to get from a West Hollywood to Knoxville when we moved back (a 31+ hr drive otherwise), so going that slow felt like an eternity. The miles pass by SIGNIFICANTLY faster at 85-90+ (100), lol.

But bottom line, I wouldn't go more than 5MPH over in VA.

Edit: Also, anything over 80 is automatic reckless. Gee wiz.
I'll only be in Virginia for about 82 miles according to my calculation. I think can handle setting the cruise on 70 (or whatever the posted limit is) to pass through without incident.

In Georgia, we have a "Super Speeder" law. If you are caught going over 75mph on any two-lane road or over 85mph on ANY road/highway/interstate, it applies. In addition to any penalties or fines you pay to the jurisdiction where you were ticketed, you also pay the state $200.

I just found an article about the Virginia speeding law and it mentioned the guy going 93mph in the Camaro. Going 20mph over is a Class One Misdemeanor, which is just a notch below a Felony! It is punishable by a $2500 fine and up to one year in jail.

That punishment is much too harsh for the crime, IMO. Perhaps if it was a second offense it might make more sense. But a Class One Misdemeanor would follow you for years, possibly even the rest of your life! I was looking at some other laws in Virginia and Cruelty to Animals is also a Class One Misdemeanor (it's a felony in Georgia). It doesn't make any sense that beating, starving, fighting or neglecting an animal and driving 20mph over the speed limit are considered equally severe crimes with potentially the same punishment!

Actually, I just read this about VIRGINIA-
Max Hwy Speed- 70mph
Reckless driving threshold- 80mph or 20mph over in 30mph+ zone or 60mph in a 35mph zone
Failure to give proper signals (for intent to turn or change lanes) is considered reckless driving.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
So you drove from West Hollywood to Knoxville in 26 hours? I have a cousin who lives in Los Angeles (Woodland Hills, to be exact, and Pacific Palisades prior to that) and we're very close. We're more like brother and sister even though I'm 41 and she's 56 (I like her a lot better than my sister and her brother is a d!ck!) Her dad died in 2009 and her mom went into a nursing home. She flew back for at least one week every month from mid-2009 until early 2011 trying to clean out the house, settle the estate and deal with all kinds of legal issues. After we finished cleaing out the house, she got an estimate on what it would cost to ship the antiques and other items that she wanted to take home. It was going to cost over $5k!

She decided to rent a truck and drive it cross-country herself. Being pretty protective and defensive of her, I couldn't let her go alone. I called around to six or seven different truck rental places and I was very blunt about asking if the trucks had speed limiters (governors) on them and, if so, what speed were they limited to. Two of them told me they couldn't/wouldn't rent to me for asking that, but I bet their trucks were limited to 55mph or something. I finally found one place and he told me that he had one truck that would go 80mph or a little over, the rest were limited to 70mph. He rented us the faster truck and we made it from Atlanta to Woodland Hills in 29hrs and 28mins (mapquest calculates it as a 33hr 58min trip). We stopped to get gas (we averaged 11mpg fully loaded and going 80mph) and to grab food that we ate on the road. It was the most miserable drive of my life!

I stayed in CA for a few days to recuperate, then she flew me back to Atlanta. I definitely prefer the 4hr 50min flight to the 30-hour drive!

I actually haven't been to Knoxville since I bought my car there on 12/15/2005. Mazda Knoxville was the only dealership within 500 miles of Atlanta that had the model/color/features I wanted with a manual transmission, so I went up and bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee