U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,390,377 times
Default Tornado shelter - anyone have one

After having hid in a closet with 2 adults and 6 animals with tornado warnings, I need to do something. I've only been here 4 months from the new england and this is the worst kind of storm I've been through with fear of the unknown.

We are looking into buying a tornado shelter since we can't afford to move. does anyone have or know about these shelters?

Thank you for any info you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,566,261 times
Always a wise investment here in Tennessee. We have a root cellar at the back of our house as many older homes do. we use it for storing fruits and veggies and tornado shelter. i am glad you are okay.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 AM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
FEMA Library - Taking Shelter from the Storm: Building a Safe Room Inside Your House

Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM

We are designing our retirement home for Fairfield Glade. Here is a portion of the basement.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/SafeRoom.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM

21,595 posts, read 29,623,312 times
Isn't it better to go underground? It wasn't so long ago that a tornado struck a brick school and students were killed.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,390,377 times
We are looking into a premanufactured structure that can be delivered and put onto our concrete floor in the garage. It's expensive but I'd rather spend the money than lose a life.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Isn't it better to go underground? It wasn't so long ago that a tornado struck a brick school and students were killed.
If a structure is built correctly it can withstand a tornado.

The danger of being below ground is water. If it can get in you could be in trouble. Take extra care to waterproof.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,781 times
BUILD A SHELTER BELOW GROUND! Above ground shelters would probably fail in larger tornados. Most people are killed from the debris flying around. Will the above ground shelter be able to stop something heavy (large oak tree) moving at 200+ mph? It's just not worth the chance to find out.
Go below ground! Do it yourself or have a professional do it for you. Do not put it off. You need to protect yourself and your family. 2/5/08 should be a wake up call for everyone! Thank God that you're okay.

Last edited by Suburban Family; 02-06-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: added notes

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM

272 posts, read 283,163 times
The end of our driveway, 1 side is a hill. Many moons ago, way before my time (will be 26 in April) my grandfather dug a hole there in that hill. He then drove a bus (a full size bus) into said hole. He then lifted the motor & trannie out of it framed it with cinder blocks, made a sort of enterence way into the back of the bus & then put dirt back on top of the bus. That is our "storm house", as it has always been called. Oh and he removed all of the seats except 2. They took various lawn chairs down there to sit in.

I can remember, as a child, being made to go down there & ,seriously, like 15-20 people (sometimes more) would come to our house & use the "storm house" whenever it would get "rough" outside. In fact my brother, his pregant wife, 7 their 2 year old son, & my cousin went down there & used it last night. I didn't, my mom & I stayed in the house.

The 1 thing I have never been able to understand is my grandfather would make all of us go to the storm house. Then he & all of the other men would go outside & just stand there looking up at the sky. What was the point in that? Oh, well.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

83 posts, read 226,522 times
Bad weather doesn’t bother me much but my wife stays up all night watching the TV. I put a shelter in the garage anchored it to the concrete floor. We have too many rocks around here to go underground.

Have not used it and hope we never will.

Ours is a 2 person one but 4 people could fit into it easily.

Got it from Tornado Safe Room in Murfreesboro it is well made and tested.
Floyd did a good job installing it.

Tornado Shelter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee