U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:59 PM

1,232 posts, read 4,174,791 times

Advertisements

We are just north of Chattanooga, and all along the steep plateau of Cumberland ridge seems the woods
you are looking for.. Here is a pic of the new linear trail park in SODDY DAISY, about 1 1/4 long along the rushing creek, good for swimming... Up top of this ridge is the 300 mile long hike trail almost finished called the CT or Great Eastern, Cumberland Trail . Cumberland Trail Conference Any vacation houses up
on the plateau will have deep forest.....

Here is a typical UP Top Pic of the plateau along some of the Eastern Vista's along the hike segments..

Last edited by SPLIT; 02-06-2016 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: 2nd Pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 02:49 PM

1,204 posts, read 4,095,124 times
My choice for a retirement location would be Cookeville....no question about it. That was my plan several years ago, so I spent some time there to get a feel for the city. Being from the South, I'm used to people being friendly to strangers, but on my visits to Cookeville it seemed as if everyone worked for the Chamber of Commerce! The city is large enough to have everything you need....including an outstanding medical center (which may become more important to you as you age).

My plans changed once a couple of grandkids came along....and I don't want to live 4 hours away from them. Tried without success to get the entire family to move there

Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 AM

5,841 posts, read 6,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post
Thanks! What are some of the more "wooded" or "foresty" areas of North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia? I've looked at aerial maps and pictures online but it's hard to differentiate one are from the other. Any of these areas have a "northwoods" type of feel?
This part of the country is heavily forested, mostly deciduous tree cover. The "northwoods" thing your looking for can only be found very high up in the Smokies. There are some northern type pine trees that grow up there. The climate and plant life over 5000 feet in the Smoky Mountains is similar to what might be found in places like New York (so they say). I guess that would qualify as "northwoods".

If you choose to visit Smoky mountain national park and the tourist areas of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg you should know that there will be a lot of people and traffic there. I personally would do it during the week when the traffic and crowds are not quite as bad. That is a very popular tourist destination, but if your coming home from Disney you will be used to it. If you don't mind the crowds there is ALOT to do in those towns, and lots of hotels. There are also many places in East Tennessee to visit the mountains without going to Smoky mountain national park and its crowds. I like the Tellico plains area and driving the Cherohaula skyway. Not many hotels in that area however, but there also is a lot less people and traffic.

There have been a lot of great suggestions by other posters as well, so many places of natural beauty to visit in East Tennessee. The place DoubleT suggested, Fall creek Falls is truly beautiful as well. It is not near the larger mountains to the east but its waterfalls are world class. Its also very friendly to the route between Florida and Illinois that you would naturally be taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee