U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 PM

39,199 posts, read 37,806,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Truth be told, Nashville is not at the top of the list because I really can't stand country music - sorry.

It's not as if they pipe country music through loudspeakers around town and force you to tune all your car radio presets to the country stations.

Nashville is not a cheap place to live anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM

21,036 posts, read 15,345,127 times
I'm also from the same areas as jabogitlu and agree that being Catholic isn't an issue - we had a couple Catholic families when I was in school growing up in the 90s-early 00s in Kingsport and it was never really an issue. There is some criticism in the pulpits of the mostly conservative evangelical churches in the area, but it doesn't seem to be an issue on the street.

I also graduated from ETSU and while I think the education itself was of good quality, the problem with a lot of the schools on these lists is that they are rural and not located near major job centers. If a school is "okay," but not exceptional, say like King, Lincoln Memorial, or ETSU, marquee employers are not going to recruit there much as there are probably just as good or better schools located closer to them. Furthermore, students aren't going to get a lot of opportunities for internships, etc., because there are no meaningful employers located in the area.

Let's say that Lincoln Memorial does have an excellent computer science program - it doesn't really matter as there are probably few if any commutable IT/CS internships from rural Harrogate, and there are no employers of note in that area. Employers in Knoxville can more easily recruit from UT-Knoxville. The kid graduating from LMU, even if it is a top notch program and they have great grades, is going to be at a distinct disadvantage compared to an average grad at an average in a major metropolitan area.

I would recommend TTU or UT-K if someone is majoring in CS. I'd avoid small rural colleges, no matter their ranking. I also work in IT and most of the ETSU graduates I know who majored in CS/IT had to leave Tennessee in order to get decent jobs.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:36 AM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times
^ Good points above. I'd also throw into the ring that CS/IT is such a huge field. If your son is interested in logistics systems and how IT dovetails into that field, UM is the way to go. Or with Geographic Information Systems, as there's a large presence on campus with the Center for Partnerships in GIS. So it really does depend on specific interests going forward.

(For example - paleontology - ETSU, hands down.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee