U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

my husband and I have talked about moving to TN with our 4 children.This would be a big move for all of us.We have all been to TN a couple times on vacation and we all love it there. we do not have any family that live there we just want a change.we currently live in ohio. weve talked and would like to be in east TN we love the mountains. any advise for a safe town to move to with kids would like good schools. ive googled stuff on a lot of different towns one article says the town is full of crime and the next says its a great place to live. are people welcoming of out of towners moving in? hoping maybe someone from east TN could give some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,316,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy1983 View Post
my husband and I have talked about moving to TN with our 4 children.This would be a big move for all of us.We have all been to TN a couple times on vacation and we all love it there. we do not have any family that live there we just want a change.we currently live in ohio. weve talked and would like to be in east TN we love the mountains. any advise for a safe town to move to with kids would like good schools. ive googled stuff on a lot of different towns one article says the town is full of crime and the next says its a great place to live. are people welcoming of out of towners moving in? hoping maybe someone from east TN could give some advice?

Will you need a job....

Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,738,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Will you need a job....
That.

And, budget????

Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
Quote:
East TN is a pretty big place. Tennessee is like Ohio and every other state in the respect that they all have crime. Generally, more affluent areas will have less crime. My advice would be to browse the local newspaper to get a feel for the types and frequency of crime in a particular town. Also, people that live in TN are not of one hive mind so some people will welcome you with open arms, some maybe not so much but overall people are very welcoming. I live in a fairly rural area but we have people in the community from all over, lots of CA, FL, NJ, lots of Yanks (I grew up in Ohio as well) Mexico, China, India, Somalia. People relocate all the time so your reception will depend on you.

As well, generally, the better schools are located in more Urban areas. The public schools are mostly funded by property taxes so areas with higher tax revenue have better funding thus more opportunities and generally better schools. There are also web sites which give ratings, as well you can look at each district and individual schools web sites to get a feel for the school.

Finding jobs should be your first priority. And keep in mind being in a place for vacation is not the same as actually living there.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM

922 posts, read 1,408,204 times
Knoxville is great for families. Growing economy, low crime, clean and access to mountains and good schools.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM

16,096 posts, read 9,279,216 times
Quote:
Look either South or West of Knoxville. Maryville, Seymour are both nice areas and closer to the MTNs.

Farragut, Lenoir City up to Oak Ridge would be good areas to look also.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,282 times
my husband drives truck he can go almost anywhere to get a job. I currently work in a factory and also volunteer on our town life squad my husband is also a volunteer fire fighter. we are hoping where ever we would decide to move to possibly get on the local fire/ems. currently we live in a higher priced small town everyone knows each other good or bad.there are so many people here who have there head up someones butt and constantly have there nose in your business just to run to the next person and gossip just to cause problems everyone here is always trying to keep up with anothers life style, and its all about your last name here if you have the right name your in weather its a sport in school popularity and even job advancements but if you don't have it your an outcast. the only thing I really like about it anymore here is that I can trust to let my kids play at the park or walk down the street without worrying constantly about someone taking them or being shot like we here all the time on the news in larger cities. we live in the country and have different animals our friends say we own a mini zoo! we love being outside. we know financially it wont be easier there then here we know jobs can be harder to find. were tired of the flat country I said earlier we love the mountains and we love being outside threw the summer my kids don't want to go to amusement parks they want to go somewhere to enjoy the outside we go to our local state park and walk trails and the kids play in the creek. or they constantly ask to go to TN when we do go were not riding all the rides or doing all the attrations we go to walk in the smokey moutains. I understand anywhere we go we may have some of these same complaints but we just want a change. and yes we deffiently would not make any drastic moves at least one of us would have a job lined up before the move. ive been doing a lot of internet searches on different towns schools and even churches we are Christians and definently want to continue taking the kids to church. it would be a big move for us but we are all willing to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or