U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 851 times

Advertisements

I currently live in southern WV but have been looking for a fresh start in a place with more to do and more opportunity to grow. I'm a single, 28 yr old woman, interested in being able to meet people around my age but not that concerned with dating. I love the hills, mountains, and hiking, which WV has, but I'm looking for more of a creative and interesting environment, which my area lacks. I've searched around these three areas but not sure which would be right for me. I'm also open to nearby cities because I have a tight budget. Hoping to get into a modest, budget-friendly apartment which isn't falling apart or in a bad part of town. I'll take any decent job that pays enough for me to live on but I would be interested in growing creatively, possibly in the areas of baking and interior design. Any tips or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 02:37 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,210,342 times
Since you need budget friendly, Nashville is out.

Both Knoxville and Chattanooga have creative and interesting "scenes". Best advice is to visit both and see if one resonates more strongly than the other. If not you may have to base your choice on where you find the best job or which city has the most promising training programs.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 AM

922 posts, read 1,405,992 times
All great cities. Personally I like smaller cities. So I live in Chattanooga. I've lived in several sunbelt boomtowns, and of the list of fastest growing cities there is none better than Nashville. QOL, COL, education, airport, taxes, attractiveness to young people, outdoors, growth, economic strength. Nashville and Austin are pretty much the only two cities I'd live in for the bigger options.

As for Chattanooga, it is perfect for families, COL, QOL if you enjoy outdoor activities with lakes, mountains, biking, swimming, skiing, hiking, triathlon and many other more daring pursuits like whitewater and hang gliding. It's about a third the size of Nashville and about a sixth the size of Atlanta and right in between both.

Personally, I don't much care for Knoxville, but it does have many of the same things Chattanooga has. It has some beautiful suburban areas if you're into that. Plus, I understand Knoxville has an outstanding school system.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 AM

922 posts, read 1,405,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloginger42 View Post
I currently live in southern WV but have been looking for a fresh start in a place with more to do and more opportunity to grow. I'm a single, 28 yr old woman, interested in being able to meet people around my age but not that concerned with dating. I love the hills, mountains, and hiking, which WV has, but I'm looking for more of a creative and interesting environment, which my area lacks. I've searched around these three areas but not sure which would be right for me. I'm also open to nearby cities because I have a tight budget. Hoping to get into a modest, budget-friendly apartment which isn't falling apart or in a bad part of town. I'll take any decent job that pays enough for me to live on but I would be interested in growing creatively, possibly in the areas of baking and interior design. Any tips or advice?

More I think about your situation, I would recommend Nashville. It's a magnet for young people, for new business startups, and behind LA and NYC it has the most creative class of people I have ever seen. It is why Nashville Cool has been discovered. It is unlike anything you'd find on the coasts, and it's imitated now in lots of cities around the country. Nashville Cool is a product of the city's merging of world class universities (Vandy and Belmont) and the creativity of the music industry, and don't dismiss its longtime Bible culture. I consider the icons of Nashville Cool to be Dierks Bentley and Kacey Musgraves. Another thing about Nashville is the classiness of its Southern heritage. You see it in the style of the fashion and architecture. For a large city too, its residents are much more gracious/polite than anywhere I've ever visited in the USA. It is accepting of newcomers too, and you'll never hear that absurd question, "Where did you go to high school?"

Old 02-23-2016, 01:40 PM

3,107 posts, read 2,732,698 times
Quote:
I have a tight budget.

Define this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or