U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My fiance and i will be getting married in October and heading up to TN for our honeymoon in November. We are mainly looking at Knoxville and Nashville because we have heard that both areas are great in their own ways and after researching a bit, we think both would be good places to honeymoon. We plan to visit Gatlinburg too. Also, in a year or so we are contemplating moving with our now 6 month old baby. Again, we are looking at Nashville and Knoxville.

So, the question is, which one? We aren't really touristy type people. We enjoy city-life. We like the restaurant and bar scenes but also parks and nature trails and outdoorsy stuff. We love music, and actually I hope to find a concert or two to attend while we are honeymooning. We are bringing our car, but I would really like to visit/live somewhere that is walkable (walk to stores, parks, restaurants, etc). That is probably what is most important to us - we live in a smallish town in FL and to get anywhere you really have to drive. There are no little cafes or bars or local, unique eats nearby, and upon moving that is what we are looking for. Our budget for rent if we do decide to move would probably be $1000, preferably less of course.

Which city would you recommend we honeymoon in? Which to move to? Is there enough to do in Knoxville for a week of honeymooning, or would Nashville be more ideal? Are people in either place more welcoming than the other to non-natives? Which city has more culture (i'm thinking both from what i've researched, but opinions wouldn't hurt)?

Please and Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,738,118 times
Moving - jobs? Budget?

Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 PM

renting, $1000 per month, preferably less.. fiance will be transferring with his job - i will look for restaurant work.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:35 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,808,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem1229 View Post
Hello all,

My fiance and i will be getting married in October and heading up to TN for our honeymoon in November. We are mainly looking at Knoxville and Nashville because we have heard that both areas are great in their own ways and after researching a bit, we think both would be good places to honeymoon. We plan to visit Gatlinburg too. Also, in a year or so we are contemplating moving with our now 6 month old baby. Again, we are looking at Nashville and Knoxville.

So, the question is, which one? We aren't really touristy type people. We enjoy city-life. We like the restaurant and bar scenes but also parks and nature trails and outdoorsy stuff. We love music, and actually I hope to find a concert or two to attend while we are honeymooning. We are bringing our car, but I would really like to visit/live somewhere that is walkable (walk to stores, parks, restaurants, etc). That is probably what is most important to us - we live in a smallish town in FL and to get anywhere you really have to drive. There are no little cafes or bars or local, unique eats nearby, and upon moving that is what we are looking for. Our budget for rent if we do decide to move would probably be $1000, preferably less of course.

Which city would you recommend we honeymoon in? Which to move to? Is there enough to do in Knoxville for a week of honeymooning, or would Nashville be more ideal? Are people in either place more welcoming than the other to non-natives? Which city has more culture (i'm thinking both from what i've researched, but opinions wouldn't hurt)?

Please and Thanks!
It'll be tough to find rent in Nashville for less than $1000. I think it'll be much more doable in Knoxville.

For a honeymoon, if you're looking for concerts, restaurants, and bars, Nashville has a bajillion times more of that than Knoxville. For example, just between now and summer here some concerts coming to Nashville, in addition to the Grand Ole Opry and other touristy mainstays:

Paul Simon
George Thorogood
Merle Haggard
Adam Lambert
The Piano Guys
Gordon Lightfoot
Vance Joy
Moon Taxi
Jethro Tull
Smashing Pumpkins
Boz Scaggs
Bonnie Raitt
Joe Rogan
Miranda Sings
Ringo Starr
Blake Shelton
Rihanna
Mumford & Sons
Barry Manilow
Avett Brothers
Pentatonix
Selena Gomez
Justin Bieber
Adele
Bryan Adams
Styx
Jimmy Buffett
Barenaked Ladies
Duran Duran
Journey
Heart
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Twenty One Pilots
Beyoncé

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 02-22-2016, 03:47 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,222,216 times
Nashville is much more tourist oriented . Why not take a day to scout out Knoxville on the way to Gatlinburg. Search the discussions about walkability so you'll know where to explore.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 PM

Thanks.
I know visiting somewhere is different than living there. Since Nashville is more touristy, maybe we'll visit there and plan a day or two to explore Knoxville and see if we think we'd like to live there.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:34 AM

5,861 posts, read 6,935,288 times
Knoxville itself is not touristy, but areas close to Knoxville are very touristy. Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and the Smoky Mountain National park are the largest tourist drawing places in the state. Now the OP claims to not be that into touristy kinds of things and that is what Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are. However they also say they like the outdoors and hiking so Smoky Mountain National park would interest them. Gatlinburg is also very popular for honeymoons, lots of things to do there. Now the OP also said they like city life and the bar scene. That goes to Nashville hands down. The OP has a week, maybe they should consider spending time in both East Tennessee and Nashville. Knoxville and Nashville are only a few hours apart, you could split the difference. Now which is better to live in?? Well that depends on where you get a good job offer. Knoxville, Nashville and Ill throw in Chattanooga too are all growing popular cities to live in. All have nice qualities. Nashville is the biggest, offers the most urban amenities. Knoxville and Chattanooga are closest to pretty scenery, and they are smaller cites. It really comes down to a personal preference, so there is no answering this for the OP. I am sure the OP will learn a lot about Tennessee from visiting here.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:15 AM

922 posts, read 1,408,204 times
Nashville is about the most welcoming large city in the country. You will never hear the question, "Where did you go to high school?" Being larger, it also has far more "things to do", and far better air access with 400 flights per day.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:03 PM

16,096 posts, read 9,279,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem1229 View Post
Hello all,

Please and Thanks!
Probably Nashville would be best, but the COL is higher. Knoxville is a nice city with a fair amount to do, but less than Nashville. However being in (or near to) Knoxville puts you clsose to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg as well plus closer to the Smokies. In addition close to NC, WV, VI, GA, KY and a a lot of things to do on short trips, not to mention Chattanooga which has a nice city center. Even Ashville, NC is not that far. My wife and I chose the Knoxville area after visiting both several times.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:47 PM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or