U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 637 times

Advertisements

I just recently purchased my home in Clarksville, TN. I live in a subdivision, but not one that has a HOA. my house is the corner lot of a cul-de-sac and my backyard is fenced in with a chain link fence. The neighbors on the side are renters and the neighbor behind me owns his home. I share one side and the back fence with these neighbors, but the third side is on my property and is not shared. I am wanting to replace the entire chain link fence with PVC vinyl fence. I was only given lot dimensions, so I am unsure if the shared fence is on the property line, and if so, can I replace it? if it is my fence, do I have the right to replace it without permission on the neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:31 PM

355 posts, read 271,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellinichole View Post
I just recently purchased my home in Clarksville, TN. I live in a subdivision, but not one that has a HOA. my house is the corner lot of a cul-de-sac and my backyard is fenced in with a chain link fence. The neighbors on the side are renters and the neighbor behind me owns his home. I share one side and the back fence with these neighbors, but the third side is on my property and is not shared. I am wanting to replace the entire chain link fence with PVC vinyl fence. I was only given lot dimensions, so I am unsure if the shared fence is on the property line, and if so, can I replace it? if it is my fence, do I have the right to replace it without permission on the neighbors?
The first thing I would do is look for your property line markers to determine whose property the fence is on. If you don't have existing markets or don't trust them then get a property line survey done.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
The first thing I would do is look for your property line markers to determine whose property the fence is on. If you don't have existing markets or don't trust them then get a property line survey done.
Exactly. Must know the property lines. If the fence is entirely on your property you can replace it without anyone's permission but out of courtesy I would at least tell the neighbors ahead of time.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:47 PM

38 posts, read 24,457 times
I know fences aren't the norm in most of the midwest (at least the parts I've visited) but I honestly don't know of anyone who would prefer a chain link fence over pretty much any other option.

Now if you were asking them to split the cost, that is another thing. But like other mentioned above, get property lines surveyed so you know where you want to put your new fence, give the neighbors a heads up, and I'm sure there won't be any issues.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:39 PM

785 posts, read 616,746 times
Ditto get the property surveyed. If the fence is a common fence and someone depends on it to keep their dog in the yard, they won't want to see something else go up.

I live in an Ag county in TN, where the old fence rows are not only boundary lines and common fence where repairs are shared, they keep livestock in.

If a new neighbor moved in who didn't like the looks of the boundary fence and wanted it gone, there would be Trouble In River City because my horses live on the other side of that fence.

If they didn't have livestock, all the repairs of that common fence would fall on us because we do have livestock. As it is, we took responsibility for a fence row when that neighbor sold out of his cattle.

So, as has already been commented, not only find the survey pins or get that side re-surveyed, then talk to the neighbor regardless of where the survey ends up. You are "the new kid on the block" and making waves over a fence is not a good way to start out in a new neighborhood.

Who knows maybe the neighbor will breath a sigh of relief and say "I thought you'd never ask"

Old 02-22-2016, 07:51 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,310,157 times
You "might" need to pull a permit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or