U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM

9,707 posts, read 7,654,638 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for all the recent sadness amd trouble in your life, especially the loss of your son. That's something no parent should have to experience.

The Smokies are beautiful in the spring, but the national park only has one indoor overnight accommodation, and that's LeConte Lodge, atop Mt. LeConte, which must be scaled on foot. However, there are many great campgrounds, if you have a camper or tent of your own. Reservations must be made in advance, but are probably easier to obtain in the spring than in the summer.

However, all of the small towns adjacent to the park have motels, whose prices run a wide range. Spring is less costly than summer and fall, due to having fewer tourists. Check out Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge (both have lots of motels but are very commercialized), and smaller, uncommercialized Townsend, on the "quiet side of the Smokies" if you prefer peace and quiet over tourist hustle and bustle.

But in any of these towns, you'd be about three or four hours from Nashville - fine for a vacation; not feasible for a daily commute. So DO plan on seeing the spectacular Great Smokies on your upcoming trip to Tennessee - but don't plan on living there, if you want to be closer to your brother.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 PM

4,545 posts, read 3,011,875 times
Thank you Craig. Anywhere in Tennessee is going to be closer than Minnesota. I've just had too many expenses to come there anytime soon. I may even have to wait for next spring.

I have to sell the motorcycle that was in both my son's and my name; mainly because I paid for it. It's been sitting in the pole barn since he was hurt. It needs work and a friend of my sister's will be working on it. But, I'm not pushing him as he will be doing this at a very reduced price.

If it is fixed and sold, I can come sooner but, until it is, I have to wait. I spent too much on his cremation and settling his affairs. I did not mind doing that as it was the last time I will be able to do something for him.

Thanks for the info on sites to see. I am planning on possibility settling in the tri-city area.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:08 PM

Default It's meo again. Now I'm thinking about visiting either

The beginning or middle of June or August. July is out because we are finally doing the memorial for my son. The first half I'll be working (with my sister) setting up the arrangements, I assume the 2nd 1/2 I'll be a basket case. The memorial will be July 16th at the family farm,& just setting up the board with his pictures has not been easy so am leaving that until July.

Okay, let me get back on track; as much as I would love to experience wonderful weather, I also want to experience the worst of humidity, heat, etc.

So, what's the consensus? Thanks all.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:00 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,212,996 times
Visit in early august. If you can stand the heat and humidity that's a good sign.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:45 PM

Thanks, Creeksetter. As much as it would be pleasant to come in good weather, it's best not to.

Right now we have a low ceiling of clouds and the humidity is not good. My nose is running non-stop. Not pleasant.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:11 PM

39,075 posts, read 37,733,259 times
The humidity here can be beyond oppressive.

If you can tolerate July or August here, you will have a good idea of what to expect from May through September.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Oh no, that does not sound good. Tolerating and enjoying are two very different things. Sometimes I think I should just stay home!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 AM

3,107 posts, read 2,733,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Sometimes I think I should just stay home!
Considering you have your people around you and everything you need in your small town (note your recent bank issue), I really don't understand why you would consider moving somewhere you've never been and don't know anyone.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:11 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,068,318 times
Every time I visit family in Knoxville I get respiratory problems leading to emergency room visits and i am not particularly allergy prone. Most of my visits are in the summer and my January visit went better health wise

So I second late July and August visits to see how you fare.

I didn't have the same problem when I lived in Murfreesboro but I was younger then and the winds pushed through middle Tennessee better taking the pollutants with them

Good luck meo. You earned it

ONS

Old 05-30-2016, 12:30 AM

Thanks northstate.

I'm also looking at Arkansas now. Tennessee is my first choice but looking at options.

N. Cal, I moved to my small little town, which is where my mother grew up until her dad bought the farm, after she passed. I'd moved to the family farm earlier to help my sister because Mom had dementia & she needed help. Shortly after she passed I had the back operation & stayed with my sister for a year before I could be independent again.

Last winter about did me in. I could barely go outside & each day it was painful. The cold aggravated my back to no end. Now, if it's muggy because storms are approaching, my back again hurts horribly. It's no fun being in pain so much of the year & I really don't want to take pain pills any more than I have to. I need a warmer place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or