U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:31 AM

11,614 posts, read 31,808,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks northstate.

I'm also looking at Arkansas now. Tennessee is my first choice but looking at options.

N. Cal, I moved to my small little town, which is where my mother grew up until her dad bought the farm, after she passed. I'd moved to the family farm earlier to help my sister because Mom had dementia & she needed help. Shortly after she passed I had the back operation & stayed with my sister for a year before I could be independent again.

Last winter about did me in. I could barely go outside & each day it was painful. The cold aggravated my back to no end. Now, if it's muggy because storms are approaching, my back again hurts horribly. It's no fun being in pain so much of the year & I really don't want to take pain pills any more than I have to. I need a warmer place to live.
Good heavens, if humid summers and cold winters aggravate your back, then you need to stop looking at Tennessee and Arkansas and look at places like New Mexico, Arizona, or even southern Utah (St George). I love Tennessee, but I cannot in good conscience recommend Tennessee to anyone who suffers from the kind of weather you described.

Best of luck to you.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 05-30-2016, 08:52 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,738,118 times
Quote:
Now, if it's muggy because storms are approaching, my back again hurts horribly.
If muggy is bad then Tennessee is not the place.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:22 PM

4,558 posts, read 3,018,593 times
You all might be right. I've been to the Arizona site & it sounds like a state I should check out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,075,701 times
Meo

Suggest you go near family and find a way to make the climate work for you. Sounds counterintuitive I know.

adjust your environment as best you can and take a pill when everything else fails. The mental and emotional support of family is very important, if that is the case. If they are dirtbags get as far away as you need.

Although if you are drawn to those other states, go forth and enjoy

Good luck

Old 05-31-2016, 01:15 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Good heavens, if humid summers and cold winters aggravate your back, then you need to stop looking at Tennessee and Arkansas and look at places like New Mexico, Arizona, or even southern Utah (St George). I love Tennessee, but I cannot in good conscience recommend Tennessee to anyone who suffers from the kind of weather you described.

Best of luck to you.
One-hundred percent this!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:14 PM

You all do realize that cold in Minnesota can be awful. You don't dare go out some days. Of course, those who work have no choice. There were days, when I was living on the family farm, that you couldn't even get out of the driveway because the plows couldn't handle the snow and it sometimes took them 2 days to clear us out. Those who worked stayed in town.

Sometimes you don't dare go outside at all because the wind chill will freeze you within minutes. I seriously doubt Tennessee has those kind of conditions.

Last year was supposedly a mild winter but there were many days we were advised to not go outside due to the wind chill. That's Minnesota.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times
Probably the best thing you can do is visit in January. Honestly, the -15 days here in Alaska are pretty cold, but those 10 degree nights in Tennessee feel really dang cold -- maybe even colder. It's a different kind of cold. Just like the South's hot summers are "wet," so are the cold winters "wet," too. I've never been to Minnesota, so maybe your winters are "wet," too. It's definitely a bone chilling cold. (But, yes, nothing like the -30 or -50 that you might occasionally get in the Dakotas or Alberta or Fairbanks, Alaska...)

Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Meo

Suggest you go near family and find a way to make the climate work for you. Sounds counterintuitive I know.

adjust your environment as best you can and take a pill when everything else fails. The mental and emotional support of family is very important, if that is the case. If they are dirtbags get as far away as you need.

Although if you are drawn to those other states, go forth and enjoy

Good luck

Amazingly I am thinking about the possibility of living with my brother, as I did before the back operation. We were doing fine until my niece decided that I had too many rules. I think it was a relief for all of us when I was scheduled for surgery and, after leaving the nursing home-which was a long time, I had to move into my sister's as I could do next to nothing. I learned quite a bit from the physical therapists so was able to do some, just not much.

My niece decided to move to the cities & hasn't lived with her dad in over a year, so that eliminates that problem.

My moving back in with him hasn't been openly discussed between us yet. But it would sure be a win/win for both of us. We are both retired, although he does still work part-time because he loves his job, and sharing expenses would give both of us a lot more to live on.

The family farm was bought by two of my brothers. My sister lives in one house and my brother in another. They're separated by a large field which is rented out to a neighboring farmer.

I did like living there. The lake and wildlife are breathtaking and worth staying for.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM

13 posts, read 18,817 times
Smile Weather -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
If you like the outdoors and TN is one of your retirement prospects, Middle Tennessee has had temps/humidity to rival Louisiana, during July, August and even part of September.

I'm retired, I have horses, DH and I maintenance 23 acres. There have been days, these last few summers, that what doesn't get done by 11:00 AM, waits until the sun starts setting. I have seen temps at 100 F or higher with a heat index of 112%. My horses won't even leave the barn fans after late morning.

I do the bush hogging in the Spring and Fall; DH manages in the middle of summer.

Just sayin' to listen to the locals, on this trip, so you can pick your weather battles before you move

During July and August, I question why I left the bone chilling cold, damp winters of western PA, lol

We're looking to move to TN within a year. We've been in Florida for 30 years and just over the long hot summers. Our AC usually runs 10 months a year. We love fall and can't wait to see the changes, but question is approximately how long is summer there? We can tolerate June-September knowing cooler weather would be coming.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times
I was back home (east TN) in mid-May and the temps were very bearable. Days in the 70s, a couple days in the low 80s, and even one day in the 60s. I was also in Atlanta, and it was much hotter.

I remember October being another May-like month. There can be hot hot weather, but it's more often quite moderate, even in the 50s and 60s is possible, and the nights are starting to cool down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or