U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM

118 posts, read 75,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If shopping is an issue, Huntsville is just a short hop from Fayetteville.

a. Tullahoma: Not really a military town because the base is mostly contractors, fewer than 100 military. However it does result in a very high percentage of professional scientists and engineers in the area who expect a good school system.

b. Manchester: A bit smaller than Tullahoma and closer to Murfreesboro.

c. Winchester: More agricultural, but still has a lot of ties to AEDC.

d. Shelbyville: Like said above, growing faster due to it's proximity to Murfreesboro. This could be either a plus or minus for you.

e. Fayetteville: Really becoming a bedroom community for Huntsville. Huntsville is a booming town so probably a bit more shopping and amenities than Murfreesboro. So if your only reason for looking at Shelbyville is distance to Murfreesboro, then consider the Fayetteville-Huntsville drive is similar.

f. Yes, we get tornadoes around here.

g. Education: Tullahoma has probably the best school system in the region. High percentage of Merit Finalists and high ACT scores. The band, theatre, and coral programs are outstanding for the size school. Football players want to be in the theatre group if that says anything. However you said school is not a consideration for you. When it comes to higher ed however, the area is a bit lacking. There is Motlow Community College (typical 2 year CC) and University of Tennessee Space Institute (offers only graduate degrees; primarily focused on aerospace and engineering programs), but no typical four year school. Closest are MTSU on Murfreesboro and UAH in Huntsville. I'd say probably UAH is a better school than MTSU and if I understand there is an agreement that residents in border counties pay instate tuition. There is Sewanee up on the mountain at Monteagle which is a very good private college, but with a price to match.

h. Recreation: Lots of lakes -- Tims Ford, Normandy, and Woods for fishing and boating. Woods is on the base, but is open to the public. There are a lot of recognized hikes and parks in the area, but those are more to the east getting into the mountains than immediately around Fayetteville.

i. There is no state income tax, but there is the Hall tax which sometimes gets new residents unaware. It's a tax on interest from essentially out of state sources so be sure to check your tax person if you have accounts in out of state institutions.

If you have some specific questions, please post them.
Thanks for the great info. I appreciate it. I know that Fayetteville is small, but is there a certain area that we need to avoid? We are thinking of buying a house when we move. We looked at houses just right outside Tennessee state line but we are not sure if it's financially worth it to live in Alabama and then work in Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM

5,287 posts, read 8,242,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
Thanks for the great info. I appreciate it. I know that Fayetteville is small, but is there a certain area that we need to avoid? We are thinking of buying a house when we move. We looked at houses just right outside Tennessee state line but we are not sure if it's financially worth it to live in Alabama and then work in Tennessee.
You should stay in Tennessee. Tennessee has no income tax on wages. Alabama state income tax is 5%.

Live in Tennessee and shop in Alabama.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You should stay in Tennessee. Tennessee has no income tax on wages. Alabama state income tax is 5%.

Live in Tennessee and shop in Alabama.
Great advice! thanks! Any places to look for, areas to avoid? My husband and I did a little drive around Fayetteville, Tullahoma and Shelbyville a week ago. We didn't like Tullahoma or Shelbyville and my in-laws do not recommend both.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
Great advice! thanks! Any places to look for, areas to avoid? My husband and I did a little drive around Fayetteville, Tullahoma and Shelbyville a week ago. We didn't like Tullahoma or Shelbyville and my in-laws do not recommend both.
I'm am not a Fayettville local; hard to imagine a "bad" part of that little town. I would stay away from living near trailer parks and/or apartments and you should be fine. Maybe your husband can talk to his co-workers to see what they say?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 PM

5,784 posts, read 3,052,832 times
Sorry, don't live in Fayetteville so I can't say on a good part of town vs another. Town wise, if you don't like Tullahoma or Shelbyville, then you probably won't like Fayetteville that much either. They are all about the same as far as being a town. If you're looking for big city amenities, you probably won't find them short of Nashville or maybe Chattanooga. Even Huntsville, while booming and having a lot really isn't a big city in that respect.

If you can be more specific in what you're looking for and do and don't like on Tullahoma/Shelbyville, maybe we can make some suggestions.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM

23,665 posts, read 21,998,807 times
The Beechcraft Heritage Museum | BEECHCRAFT HERITAGE MUSEUM

http://tennesseewaterfall.com/machin...a-tullahomatn/

http://www.tullahoma.org/

Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 PM

Great places to visit however the OP is looking for a place to live. Very few people would choose a home based on having the Beechcraft heritage museum in town.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 PM

23,665 posts, read 21,998,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Great places to visit however the OP is looking for a place to live. Very few people would choose a home based on having the Beechcraft heritage museum in town.
The OP has the Chamber of Commerce to look at for information on the town.. along with the other links for other people to see..

Old 03-31-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
The OP has the Chamber of Commerce to look at for information on the town.. along with the other links for other people to see..
Tullahoma is a great town; I am not knocking it at all. Not a great choice if working 25 miles away in Fayetteville.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 AM

Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions. We found a house that we love in Fayetteville just walking distance to the square. Now we are just waiting for our offer to be accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee