U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My fiancé and I are looking to move to Tennessee in the next year, our reasons vary. The biggest one being the cost of housing and over all cost of living. We also have family near Nashville. We do plan on renting for a few years before buying a home, we also plan on having children so decent schools would be a plus. We love the mountains, hiking, swimming, and pretty much anything outdoors. So I guess I'm just looking for some opinions of which towns have low crime. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also we currently live about 40 minutes south of Boston, MA.

-Belle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:44 AM

21,036 posts, read 15,345,127 times
You need to find the job first then let that dictate your location. For employment, Knoxville and Chattanooga areas are your best options.

There are charming small towns in east TN like Greeneville and Jonesborough, but there isn't much in the way of professional level employment there. If you work from home, or are in some medical or education field, your odds of finding decent employment in the area improve.

Nashville is where the lion's share of professional job growth is in Tennessee, and it's the closest you'll get to Boston's labor market.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:54 AM

My fiancé currently travels about an hour and a half each way to work so any nice towns within 1 and 1/2 hours of Knoxville or Chattanooga?

Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM

50 posts, read 114,951 times
If yall really enjoy outdoor activities, Chattanooga is amazing for that. There are several small towns that surround Chattanooga also that are nice, safe and wonderful places to live. Knoxville is a lot bigger--you should definitely come down and check both out. Lots of good areas between the two cities too that might give you the best of both worlds!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times
There's no way you should want or need to drive 3 hours daily in a job commute in East Tennessee. Seriously.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM

3,801 posts, read 3,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
There's no way you should want or need to drive 3 hours daily in a job commute in East Tennessee. Seriously.
I agree. What type of job does he have now? Let us help you there first and then we can go from there.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:28 PM

I agree the commute is ridiculous, I'm not saying he wants to continue to do it. He's a pressmen, there are some job opportunities for him in Knoxville as well as Chattanooga.

Also, just wanted to say I appreciate everyone responding��

Old 04-10-2016, 07:14 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleMc30 View Post
My fiancé currently travels about an hour and a half each way to work so any nice towns within 1 and 1/2 hours of Knoxville or Chattanooga?
Yes! Knoxville is about 90 minutes from Chattanooga and Chattanooga is about 90 minutes from Knoxville.

I'm from Mass., lived there for 33 years. Tenn. and Mass. are very different states. Sure, you know this, but you don't really know, trust me.

Small towns down here don't always have decent schools. Most of them do not have the money. Taxes are very low, so some schools suffer. People will tell you that the sales tax is high and it is. However, put everything together and taxes are some of the lowest in the country. Massachusetts isn't called Taxachusetts for nothing!

Cities here feel different. I live in Knoxville and it feels like a very large town where most people know each other or know someone that knows you. Frankly, it's great. However, some small towns feel a bit backwoods.

The other town that I would recommend would be Oak Ridge. It has very good schools due to the National Laboratory.

I know in Knoxville and Chattanooga, 10 or 15 minutes from the core of the city and you can be in a very rural area.

In any event, put out feelers for jobs before you even consider a move. Pay is very low here, but so is the cost of living.

Personally, I LOVE living in Knoxville, but there are a lot of places that you couldn't pay me to live in.

What kind of jobs are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee