Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 AM

119 posts, read 396,692 times

Advertisements

My daughter is determined to get her degree to teach elementary school. Between having 3 children, seems she's been in school forever, since she can only take a couple of classes a week. In trying to convince her to move to Tennessee if we go, she tells me she wouldn't be able to teach there.

My question is: If she transfers her credits, do you know what she'll lose?

She is currently on a MAT course (Masters of Art & Teaching) and will be finished a year from now....spring of 2009.

Does anyone know how far back it would set her if she moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
She will have to let one of the universities analyze her transcript and determine how her state's course work translate to Tennessee's. This used to be done by our State Dept. of Education, but now the state universities do it. Be prepared, since the universities do the determination, sometimes i feel that they look for deficiencies so they can convince you to take more of their classes. Usually course work done within the last 9 years will transfer and count toward degrees.... anything older than that must be redone.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
She will have to let one of the universities analyze her transcript and determine how her state's course work translate to Tennessee's. This used to be done by our State Dept. of Education, but now the state universities do it. Be prepared, since the universities do the determination, sometimes i feel that they look for deficiencies so they can convince you to take more of their classes. Usually course work done within the last 9 years will transfer and count toward degrees.... anything older than that must be redone.
That's exactly right. She'll need to contact the College of Education at whatever university she's interested in attending. Do you know what university she's interested in?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQFL View Post
My daughter is determined to get her degree to teach elementary school. Between having 3 children, seems she's been in school forever, since she can only take a couple of classes a week. In trying to convince her to move to Tennessee if we go, she tells me she wouldn't be able to teach there.

My question is: If she transfers her credits, do you know what she'll lose?

She is currently on a MAT course (Masters of Art & Teaching) and will be finished a year from now....spring of 2009.

Does anyone know how far back it would set her if she moved?
Some schools have a minimum number of credits you must do at their school in order for them to give you a degree. When I was doing undergrad classes, and wanted to move from NY to MD for a job promotion, and with one semester to go, I was told I would have to do 39 credits at the MD school for them to give me a degree. I wouldn't do it. It had nothing to do with accepting my credits. You just had to do 39 credits at their school minimum for them to award a degree. So, ask that question. They may take all of your daughter's credits but they may have a minimum number of credits that have to be done at their school.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 AM

119 posts, read 396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That's exactly right. She'll need to contact the College of Education at whatever university she's interested in attending. Do you know what university she's interested in?
Well, since we're interested in the Cookeville area (and I'd like to keep those grandgirls close) whatever the college is in Cookeville.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
That would be Tennessee Tech University.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Your daughter should realize too, SuzieQ, that what one college requires for a particular degree may be many semester hours different in another.

She may have several completed courses with great grades that will not even transfer to her new school.

It is always best to communicate directly with the new anticipated college. Check with the Admissions Department and they will point you in the right direction.

Here is their website:

Tennessee Tech University || About TTU (http://www.tntech.edu/about.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: