U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM

355 posts, read 271,795 times

Advertisements

Is it me or are the gnat and flies worse this spring? Just sitting on my deck can result in itchy bites but I made the mistake of sitting on the shore of a local lake where it was much worse.

How do you deal with these pesky bugs?

How do you prevent getting bit?

How do you stop the itching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 02:43 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
I haven noticed them being worse this year, yet.
At home, guineas, bats, purple martins.
Citronella candles, bug spray, itchy scratchy medicine.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:52 PM

I did have a bat box but it went with the old deck. I need another.

There are different types of gnats, the ones biting me look more like small flies. But you might not notice them until they are sucking your blood and by then it's too late. That bite, or siphon hole, will react with a itchy spot for days and the more you scratch the worse it gets.

I do use the otc stuff and it helps somewhat but I was thinking there might be a better treatment ... a local home remedy might yield better results.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,316,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I did have a bat box but it went with the old deck. I need another.

There are different types of gnats, the ones biting me look more like small flies. But you might not notice them until they are sucking your blood and by then it's too late. That bite, or siphon hole, will react with a itchy spot for days and the more you scratch the worse it gets.

I do use the otc stuff and it helps somewhat but I was thinking there might be a better treatment ... a local home remedy might yield better results.
I got bats in the barn...want some...

Hope they aren't chiggers ....

Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I got bats in the barn...want some...

Hope they aren't chiggers ....
If you get a bat box ... how do you get a bat to move in?

I don't have chigger bites don't ask how I know

I have been told some home remedies for chiggers bites ... including using diesel fuel

I think what I have now is the black fly gnat. When we got our first spring like warm days I could see tons of these little suckers sunbathing on my deck rail and propane tank ... or any surface that they could get warm. I don't see them sunbathing anymore but there are enough still flying around to bug you while outside. They will be gone soon when it starts turning typical hot and humid summer weather.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times
My main tormentors are no see-ums.
The only thing other than encouraging natural predators and sprays that you can really do is watch your wet areas. Most egg/larval stages develop in water or mud.

The old timers used diesel fuel or coal oil for preventing chiggers and bug bites but that was before bug spray. I prefer bug spray. Thinking back its a wonder my granny didn't kill me with some of her remedy's.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My main tormentors are no see-ums.
The only thing other than encouraging natural predators and sprays that you can really do is watch your wet areas. Most egg/larval stages develop in water or mud.

The old timers used diesel fuel or coal oil for preventing chiggers and bug bites but that was before bug spray. I prefer bug spray. Thinking back its a wonder my granny didn't kill me with some of her remedy's.
Yep ... I think I get those also. Some I can see and swat and some seem to be stealth. I do have lots of water around me with ponds, private lakes, seasonal streams and a river very close.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,316,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
If you get a bat box ... how do you get a bat to move in?

I don't have chigger bites don't ask how I know

I have been told some home remedies for chiggers bites ... including using diesel fuel

I think what I have now is the black fly gnat. When we got our first spring like warm days I could see tons of these little suckers sunbathing on my deck rail and propane tank ... or any surface that they could get warm. I don't see them sunbathing anymore but there are enough still flying around to bug you while outside. They will be gone soon when it starts turning typical hot and humid summer weather.

I would love to see them relocated....I guess you catch them like a rabbit...

"How do you catch a unique rabbit ....You neek up on him"

Don't know about diesel fuel, but have heard about kerosene......

Have not been bothered by gnats or mosquitoes over here....plenty of chiggers and ticks...

Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I would love to see them relocated....I guess you catch them like a rabbit...

"How do you catch a unique rabbit ....You neek up on him"

Don't know about diesel fuel, but have heard about kerosene......

Have not been bothered by gnats or mosquitoes over here....plenty of chiggers and ticks...
Sometime home remedies or home brews work. I recently had someone tell me he used engine oil (used) to stain his new deck. I thought this was strange but I researched it and sure enough it's not all that uncommon.

We seem to get everything here ... including freaky scary looking bugs and snakes!

Here are a few pics I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Gnats-freak2.jpg   Spring Gnats-black-rat-snake.jpg  

Last edited by Jumeby; 05-12-2016 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or