U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 AM

20 posts, read 22,687 times

Advertisements

Hello. My fiance and I are planning to move in 2017, from NJ, along with our 2 young children. They will be 6 and 3 so schools are a factor. I am pretty open to any area of TN. I have 2 friends that have moved 1 to Clarksville and one to cookeville.. And they love it. I'm not too concerned about finding work since I am CNA and fiance has 21 years of moving experience as well as working dietary in nursing home. I am more concerned about pay rates for CNA compared to renting costs. To give an idea now my base pay rate 12.37$ an hour (after 7 years at same facility) and fiances is 9/hr and my rent is 1030$. With rent and bills its about 1900 a month excluding groceries and gas for our cars. I've tried researching cna salaries but they do not seem realistic to me so I was wondering if I could get some insight on pay rates In different areas on TN. And from there I could narrow down my housing search. Any info would be greatly appreciated 😊
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 AM

29,334 posts, read 22,169,500 times
I'm from the Tri-Cities area and you should expect to pay between $550-$800 in rent for 1/2 BR, depending on the amenities, size of unit, etc.

21 years of experience in something and making only $9/hr? You could probably find work at a grocery store for that. CNA pay is probably about what you're making where I'm from, maybe a little less, but your husband should be able to make more.

TN also has no income taxes. You'd probably come out ahead most anywhere in TN.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,003,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm from the Tri-Cities area and you should expect to pay between $550-$800 in rent for 1/2 BR, depending on the amenities, size of unit, etc.

21 years of experience in something and making only $9/hr? You could probably find work at a grocery store for that. CNA pay is probably about what you're making where I'm from, maybe a little less, but your husband should be able to make more.

You might want to tell her what area is the Tri State area ..............

Old 05-12-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:

He left the moving company last month making 16/hr. (After 21 years) The 9/hr is what he makes now working on dietary at a nursing home... Is one of the tri cities Johnson city?

Old 05-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Is it safe to assume wed be able to make it out there with our line of work? I know it will take a few weeks for my license to transfer to tennessee. Assuming we saved about 8000$ and found a place around 600/month. We would like to be able to pay 6 months rent up front And pay up on Utilities Since I wouldn't be able to start work asap I don't think. I know securing a job first is what's best I'm just not sure how to go about that since our funds would be limited to make multiple trips out there and I worry employers won't hire with an out of state address

Old 05-12-2016, 01:20 PM

29,334 posts, read 22,169,500 times
Johnson City is part of the Tri-Cities, as well as Kingsport and Bristol. I'd also recommend Knoxville and Chattanooga - Knoxville is bigger with more jobs, and a similar cost of living. Nashville is just too expensive for now.

$8,000 isn't a lot of money, but it might work. The difficulty is going to be finding a landlord to rent from with no job. You may be able to find a place for six months by paying up front, but that's likely going to be from a private landlord, not a big time rental company. Johnson City has a ValuPlace extended stay hotel that I think is either $200-$250 per week. That would allow you to get here and find a job without making any long term commitments, but I would highly recommend finding whatever job you can just to get some income rolling in and start to stabilize.

I don't think you'll have any problem finding CNA work once you're actually here. I don't think it would a big stretch to assume two people working in nursing homes could make $12-$13/hr each, perhaps a bit more.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,003,740 times
Quote:
Johnson City is part of the Tri-Cities, as well as Kingsport and Bristol. I'd also recommend Knoxville and Chattanooga - Knoxville is bigger with more jobs, and a similar cost of living. Nashville is just too expensive for now.

$8,000 isn't a lot of money, but it might work. The difficulty is going to be finding a landlord to rent from with no job. You may be able to find a place for six months by paying up front, but that's likely going to be from a private landlord, not a big time rental company. Johnson City has a ValuPlace extended stay hotel that I think is either $200-$250 per week. That would allow you to get here and find a job without making any long term commitments, but I would highly recommend finding whatever job you can just to get some income rolling in and start to stabilize.

I don't think you'll have any problem finding CNA work once you're actually here. I don't think it would a big stretch to assume two people working in nursing homes could make $12-$13/hr each, perhaps a bit more.
She wasn't asking about Nashville, she inquired about Clarksville.

Big difference.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:05 PM

12,540 posts, read 35,001,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
She wasn't asking about Nashville, she inquired about Clarksville.

Big difference.
And Cookeville. Definitely doable in Clarksville and Cookeville. The OP's pay scales aren't very high, and they're pretty comparable to what CNAs make in Tennessee, even in Cookeville. Rent is half what she's paying in NJ, and I imagine most everything else will be cheaper in TN, too. I have several friends in Cookeville from NJ, and they are happy as larks. Beautiful area, very family friendly (children's museum, children's library, children's theater, etc), and very good schools.

Moving somewhere where the OP already has friends (Clarksville and Cookeville) is probably a really good idea.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 05-12-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much !! I'm hoping to save more than 8000. My facility has others in Harriman and maynardville and LA follette. Do you have any info on those areas? Crime and schools and such?. I could put in for a transfer but will be a waiting game for my license so I am open to take whatever job I can! And when the time comes I will def look into the valuplace!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And Cookeville. Definitely doable in Clarksville and Cookeville. The OP's pay scales aren't very high, and they're pretty comparable to what CNAs make in Tennessee, even in Cookeville. Rent is half what she's paying in NJ, and I imagine most everything else will be cheaper in TN, too. I have several friends in Cookeville from NJ, and they are happy as larks. Beautiful area, very family friendly (children's museum, children's library, children's theater, etc), and very good schools.

Moving somewhere where the OP already has friends (Clarksville and Cookeville) is probably a really good idea.

Thanks very much for your response. I feel like we are drowning here so to hear that our pay rates are similar but housing costs are half is very reassuring. The only thing that would cost more in TN is sales Tax. Nj is 7% I believe TN is a little higher but when you put it all together I don't think sales tax will ruin us in TN . I see lots of rentals around 500-650 through out the state. Is that a normal rent in a decent neighborhood or is that going to put me in a bad place? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing low rents? Mine right now is one of the lowest in my area. Everything else in my area is 1200 and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee