U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,025 times

Advertisements

hello...here is some background info about me

for the first 7 years of my life I lived in Racine WI. We then moved to Superior WI and have been here for 15yrs. I HATE it here. The weather BITES, it's freezing, people are always depressed (now I am included...), and very unfriendly for the most part. I have no friends. There is never anything to so. All I go to is Superior and Duluth. There are a few stores. That's it. Never any events close enough for me to partake in. I was in college for a while. There are very little job opportunities.

So my parents want to move again. They are talking about moving back to Racine. I do NOT want to. I just want to get the heck out of Wisconsin. I never want to come back here.

My parents talked about maybe moving to TN. They told me nice things about it, but they still want us to maybe travel there to see for ourselves what it is like.

Aside from Florida, I've never been anywhere in my 22yrs. I feel frustrated to the point of tears because there's not much I can do. I can't afford to live on my own yet. I just know I don't want to be here any longer.

I'm just wondering what TN is like. I'd love to hear some input about the area...the weather, the people, the crime, what is there to do, etc etc. Do you think it would be an improvement? Would you recommend someone living there?

Please help Sick of feeling like WI is the only place on earth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 PM

3,954 posts, read 3,622,463 times
I'm sure there are young people, like yourself, that live here and think the same of Tennessee.
That said, look at a map of Tennessee. It stretches from the Mississippi River to the Appalachian Mountains, pretty different from one end to the other. Humidity in the summer would probably not be your thing here, you could adjust though, many complain. Winters wouldn't be what you're used to, so that could be a trade off. Events? What interests you? I'm sure there are some where you live now, just not your thing. The people are what you make of them. Yea, you will find some turds, but you find those everywhere. What kind of stores do you need? What type of job? A visit would be highly recommended.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:49 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,275,480 times
Step 1. What do you want to do with your life?

Step 2. How do you plan on getting there?

Everything will stem from those two decisions.

Frankly, you need to be in school. Go to college, learn a trade or go into the service. Hanging around with no money to support yourself is no way to live.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:00 AM

3,330 posts, read 3,028,899 times
Quote:
Hanging around with no money to support yourself is no way to live.
What she said. And Tennessee is probably one of the worst states to try and do this.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM

109 posts, read 202,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
What she said. And Tennessee is probably one of the worst states to try and do this.
that don't stop everyone from moving here, lived in the Tenn all my life and it just keeps getting more populated by the day.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:06 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,884,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Step 1. What do you want to do with your life?

Step 2. How do you plan on getting there?

Everything will stem from those two decisions.

Frankly, you need to be in school. Go to college, learn a trade or go into the service. Hanging around with no money to support yourself is no way to live.
I want to reemphasize the bold part. Most people think "education" past high school means "college", but that's far from the only option. You said you tried college and didn't make it, so try one of the other two. Most people either can't make it in college or will never have the opportunity, and there's no shame in that. There are millions of good-pay jobs out there waiting to be filled... it just takes a willingness to work and the ability to be trained in a specific trade.

Check out Profoundly Disconnected

By my math you're 22 and still living at home with no plans. Get moving.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:54 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,160,100 times
That's an excellent website. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or