U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 PM

106 posts, read 83,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
garbage propaganda article
Exactly! Otherwise known a "click bait".
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:55 PM

40 posts, read 64,883 times
Default how safe is Tullahoma

I've been looking for a small town that is safe but have heard nothing but bad about Tullahoma. Is it full of drugs, gangs and crime? I'm a senior citizen and wanted to feel safe. Maybe I should look someplace else.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,368,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followthegold View Post
I've been looking for a small town that is safe but have heard nothing but bad about Tullahoma. Is it full of drugs, gangs and crime? I'm a senior citizen and wanted to feel safe. Maybe I should look someplace else.
Who the hell did you hear that from?

I mean, literally every sizable town has its elements of bad, but "full of drugs, gangs and crime?" At best, that's hyperbole.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM

Thank you for your answer Nasvols. The house I'm looking at online is in a country setting. I did a google street map view and it looks like a nice country subdivision of 30yr old + homes that are very well taken care of. The area I have lived in for the past 16yrs has changed to the point I make sure I'm in my locked house by dusk and keep my door and windows locked during the day. 100% opposite of what it was like when I moved there. I guess I'm being over cautious of going through this again. This will be my last move. I lived in the Nashville area for 6 yrs a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I want to retire in TN but want to be safe too.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 AM

11,603 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Thank you for your answer Nasvols. The house I'm looking at online is in a country setting. I did a google street map view and it looks like a nice country subdivision of 30yr old + homes that are very well taken care of. The area I have lived in for the past 16yrs has changed to the point I make sure I'm in my locked house by dusk and keep my door and windows locked during the day. 100% opposite of what it was like when I moved there. I guess I'm being over cautious of going through this again. This will be my last move. I lived in the Nashville area for 6 yrs a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I want to retire in TN but want to be safe too.
What made you decide on Tullahoma?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 AM

207 posts, read 312,195 times
You never know if you can believe the MSM or the papers but has crime gone down in TN? Big Cities? Just curious.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM

To JMT I didn't necessarily decide on Tullahoma. I've been there a couple of times. I looks real rural and has that feel. There isn't much there to impress you if you're looking to be impressed like a big city. I have been looking online in areas I've been to that I wouldn't mind living in. I loved Beth Page and I think that's a similar setting. When I lived in the Nashville area, I was way out between the state park and Mt Juliet. I do need to be close to a grocery store and my "loves" - a TXMAX or Marshall's or Ross and a Michael's or JoAnn's. Not an hour or two away. I'm deciding between moving back to TN or AR. But, any of the rural areas in both states are miles and miles away from the stores I like to go to. I'm retirement age but still working, from home thank goodness and not ready to sit in the wilderness in my rocking chair watching the squirrels bury their acorns for winter. Reliable internet service is very important too. I have inquired about that when looking at particular homes in communities and it's not even available. No internet, no work, no income, can't pay bills.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM

To dad2paisley, I don't think crime is going away any time soon. I see it getting worse. It seems like there is no place immune to it anymore. We just have to live our lives knowing we are never really safe. Seems like there is a crazy nut around every corner regardless of the community - big city where we expect the crime, or a little so called safe rural community. I'm not expecting the idyllic safety from years ago. Just want to be able to feel safe when I sit in my backyard or front yard. I don't feel safe letting my dog out after dark anymore. And even that is almost laughable because so much is starting to happen during the day.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:55 PM

11,603 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
To JMT I didn't necessarily decide on Tullahoma. I've been there a couple of times. I looks real rural and has that feel. There isn't much there to impress you if you're looking to be impressed like a big city. I have been looking online in areas I've been to that I wouldn't mind living in. I loved Beth Page and I think that's a similar setting. When I lived in the Nashville area, I was way out between the state park and Mt Juliet. I do need to be close to a grocery store and my "loves" - a TXMAX or Marshall's or Ross and a Michael's or JoAnn's. Not an hour or two away. I'm deciding between moving back to TN or AR. But, any of the rural areas in both states are miles and miles away from the stores I like to go to. I'm retirement age but still working, from home thank goodness and not ready to sit in the wilderness in my rocking chair watching the squirrels bury their acorns for winter. Reliable internet service is very important too. I have inquired about that when looking at particular homes in communities and it's not even available. No internet, no work, no income, can't pay bills.
Tullahoma is a nice town. It's not particularly noted for its retirement community, but it's a nice place.

If fast and reliable internet connection is a concern and you want rural life but near a town with TJMaxx and those type stores, then look at Cookeville. Gigabit internet is available there and in the rural areas surrounding the town, and Cookeville has stores like TJMaxx, Kohl's, Sears, JCPenney, Hobby Lobby, Sam's Club, and others. The cost of living is inexpensive, and it's only an hour from the Nashville airport.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 10-26-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks JMT Fairfield Glade is in that area and it looked nice. All the stores you mentioned are where I go. I do seem to go back to the Cookeville/Crossville area when I'm looking online. I am trying to plan trip to TN and AR sometime after the first of the year and plan on driving around the Cookeville area. I know of someone who lives in Fairfield Glade and they like that area. I've been looking at Hot Springs Village online but it's so far from everything - beautiful from the pictures but I don't want to drive an hour to shop. Especially as I get older. I love TN and years ago went to several areas in AR quite a bit on business trips with my husband. I guess that's why I've zeroed in on those states. I just have to zero in on an area. I know I'd be happy in either state. Just have to find the right town.

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or