U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 PM

868 posts, read 1,514,556 times

Advertisements

Like most things, ObamaCare/ACA isn't all bad or all good. There are portions that are working beautifully, and there are potions of it that aren't working very well. Anyone that tells you that it is either all good or all bad either doesn't know what they are talking about or is a homer for whatever team they are rooting for (Dems vs Repubs) and refuse to see the fault in their side's arguments.

The Good:
-The ACA got rid of the ability for insurance companies to deny individual plans based on pre-existing conditions. That was the most absurd feature of the system prior to the ACA. People who were diagnosed with problems that were no fault of their own (juvenile onset diabetes, familial hyperlipidemia, cystic fibrosis, ulcerative colitis, etc) could not get insurance. The ACA assured that all people could receive insurance coverage.
-Group insurance under the new regulations seems to be working great. Cost increases are at record lows (essentially inflation).
-For states that expanded Medicaid, there are few people uninsured.

The Bad:
-The individual market has seen the emergence of the feared "death spiral." The penalties for no having insurance were too weak and young, healthy people are opting to stay uninsured. That has led to a horrible feedback loop in which individual insurance becomes increasingly expensive because only sick people are buying it.
-For states that have not expanded Medicaid there are still large numbers of uninsured residents. This has led to small hospitals in these states closing and leaving large swatches of the state without any emergency care. This is especially true in Tennessee.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 AM

4,989 posts, read 4,492,429 times
It's not just TN, the ACA is struggling in many states. Minnesota's exchanges are collapsing, and I'm pretty sure that TN Republicans had nothing to do with that. Tennesseans who lived here during the beginning of TennCare had already seen this scenario play out once. The TennCare mess in the 90s got Bredesen elected, and he drastically scaled back TennCare.
I wish Obama had consulted him when crafting the ACA.

I feel bad for the patients, but I felt bad for them even before this. Many of the ones I met felt let down by the ACA. I spent a day working with BCBS part E patients at an office one day. Part E was a very low level ACA plan with extremely limited networks and high deductibles. The patients all told the same story. They said they were so happy to be able to buy insurance, but once they got it, they discovered no one would accept it. And when they jumped through hoops and waited months to get an appt for a provider that would accept it, they discovered their insurance didn't cover the cost. Some of the women actually cried telling me their stories. People wanted to know why they were paying "all this money every month" for insurance that didn't actually provide any access to healthcare.

The ACA never should have allowed such worthless plans to be sold. The insurance companies had way too much say in crafting it.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,219,659 times
Quote:
I've been in this market as a broker for 35 years, there are inexpensive options for folks with no health issues.
Pintail, what kind of options do you offer for Tennesseans with pre-existing conditions?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 AM

3,419 posts, read 5,380,656 times
Here is an article from the TENNESSEAN I have been meaning to post. On the news they said that the musicians in town are hit hard because they are self employed for the most part. The "Affordable" Care Act was unsustainable. I didn't get to keep the coverage I had, I don't't get to keep the doctors I have been with for 6 years. Even if I WANTED to spend $1000 a month on insurance, I no longer have the option to buy BCBS or use any of the St. Thomas or Vanderbilt doctors.

BCBST shakeup brings uncertainty to many in Tennessee

The Republican Party would like to open the insurance market up so that you could buy insurance outside of your own state which I think is a great idea. The free market works. Let's say a company called "Universal Health" contracted with 2 major hospitals in 200 big cities - and offered insurance to people in all 50 states. You'd get healthy people in "healthier states" offset the less well in other states. There would be more of a balance than ONLY being able to insure folks in a traditionally unhealthy (poor) state.

I'm not trying to be political. If this was the Democrats idea I would vote for it.

Actually, health insurance was invented as an incentive when the Roosevelt instituted wage and price controls during WW2. Companies got around that by offering a "healthcare" package. Before WW2 people paid the doctors directly. I think healthcare would be lot more affordable if we eliminated the middle man, the insurance companies. We're also a very litigious country . . .

Anyway, I'm screwed . . . .

Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,793,189 times
Quote:
I think healthcare would be lot more affordable if we eliminated the middle man, the insurance companies.
I completely agree.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 10,587 times
The health insurance companies and big pharma wrote the bill. Remember one thing and one thing only: "You being sick is what keeps them in business." The elite purposely poison our food, water and air while over medicating us so we depend on for profit insurance that rapes the public.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:26 AM

868 posts, read 1,514,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I feel bad for the patients, but I felt bad for them even before this. Many of the ones I met felt let down by the ACA. I spent a day working with BCBS part E patients at an office one day. Part E was a very low level ACA plan with extremely limited networks and high deductibles. The patients all told the same story. They said they were so happy to be able to buy insurance, but once they got it, they discovered no one would accept it. And when they jumped through hoops and waited months to get an appt for a provider that would accept it, they discovered their insurance didn't cover the cost. Some of the women actually cried telling me their stories. People wanted to know why they were paying "all this money every month" for insurance that didn't actually provide any access to healthcare.

The ACA never should have allowed such worthless plans to be sold. The insurance companies had way too much say in crafting it.
I'm going to correct something. Having BCBS Network E does not indicate anything about deductibles. There are high deductible and low deductible plans that are part of Network E. In fact, in terms of co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurance there is no difference between Network E, S, or P. All have the same options.

As far as the network availability, Network E is the most restrictive. However, it is still fairly easy to find providers. My wife has Network E and there are numerous physicians in every specialty that are available. However, it only covers Ascension Health (St Thomas Midtown and West), so you won't be able to go to any Tristar facility or Vanderbilt.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:03 PM

16,091 posts, read 9,272,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The Republicans in this state purposely imploded the ACA and then stand around gloating. Meanwhile, the sheep believe what they are saying, having no idea what is really going on here. Oh Lamar, the depths of your ingenuousness leaves me reeling.
It is imploding in Blue States too. ACA was theoretically a good idea but poor planing and implementation among other things has made it a mess everywhere. Remember NO Member of Congress got to read the plan before voting on it. Pushed through on straight party lines with no understanding of the plan at all.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:00 PM

3,419 posts, read 5,380,656 times
Default 2017 Insurance Options in TN after BCBS pulled out

RE: Nashville Area

So I have been looking through what is now available to me since BlueCross Blue Shield pulled out of the Nashville market. The only options are Humana or Cigna and Humana covers a couple of my doctors although it is a PPO and I lose about half of the doctors I have been seeing. Wasn't that part of the spiel? "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor?" The price of the Silver plan has gone from about $800 on BCBS to $1100 on Humana. Deductible has doubled. And there's a 20% coinsurance I didn't have before as well as one of my two drugs not being covered.

The only 'good' thing is that the payment has not increased too much, since the tax credit has increased as well. BUT certainly more out of pocket with the copays.

Am I happy? Not at all. The little hospital here in Williamson County is not covered and one of the two doctors, I can only see at her Nashville office and not here in Franklin.

But there is no other option. Unless I go with a HSA? Haven't checked that out yet. Pretty sure BCBS would have increased had they stayed BUT at least I could have kept my doctors, most notably my GP that I have had for 5 years. I asked about paying out of pocket to see her outside the network and was told that "might not be allowed".

Not sure what Trump may bring to the table with all of this. One friend in Ohio has a doctor who has gone "rougue" and is no longer accepting any insurance. You pay her directly for services. SHE (the doc) will have a lower overhead not having to hire billing people who deal with the insurance companies and SHE (the doc) believes she'll have more time for her own life and not feel a need to rush through patients. Interesting idea.

Has anyone else checked out the options left for Nashville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or