U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City
Chattanooga 14 53.85%
Knoxville 9 34.62%
Tri-Cities 3 11.54%
Clarksville 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 PM

16,942 posts, read 11,791,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
I'm also interested in the Knoxville vs Chattanooga comparison and found this interesting. Jabogitlu, do you think Knoxville punches below it's weight considering it's size or are you just not a fan of cities around that size and suggest stepping up to the next tier? Any particular flaw or fault with Knoxville that you could point out? How do you think it stacks up vs Chattanooga? Thanks for the feedback.
I wouldn't say Knoxville has any big flaws, but it just doesn't have as much as you'd expect. Knoxville doesn't get the big name concerts like you would get in a bigger city. Shopping is fine, but it just seems like there ought to be a little more. The restaurant scene is fine, but it seems like you'd have a few more defining places.

Chattanooga is getting the notice now, which gets people moving there, starting businesses, etc. I would say Chattanooga has a brighter future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 AM

4,985 posts, read 7,356,385 times
I'm not jab, but here's my take on some differences:

Chattanooga has smaller mountains right in town. Knoxville has much larger mountains visible in the distance.

Knoxville has a smaller downtown with a lot of restaurants/retail very close together. Market square is a gem. Chattanooga has a larger footprint with activity more spread out. But that's more opportunity for infill.

Knoxville is historically much more culturally diverse, though Chattanooga is working on attracting diverse people.

Chattanooga has lots of new construction, Knoxville's focus is historic preservation, especially lofts in older buildings.

Chattanooga has great neighborhoods like Fort Wood and the northside right next to downtown, but they tend to be expensive. That might not be an issue coming from CA. You could probably afford a house on the mountain. Knoxville has gentrified neighborhoods, but we also have affordable neighborhoods near downtown such as Mechanicsville, South Knoxville, and Morningside.

IMO, Knoxville is better for music Chattanooga is better for art.

The power structure in Chattanooga is top down, Knoxville is more grass roots. But the rich people in Chattanooga have a lot of money to fund progressive initiatives.

Quote:
Knoxville: Punches below its weight compared to similarly sized cities
I'm not sure why Shakeesha made this comment, I'll guess because she looks for new construction. Cities that are close to Knoxville in urban areas are Grand Rapids, Akron, New Haven, Colorado Springs, Columbia SC, Charleston SC, Ogden, Cape Coral, and Bakersfield. Except for Charleston SC, I'm pretty sure that Knoxville has as much or more to offer than the other cities. I'd say Knoxville pretty much "punches at it's weight", if not a little above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

OTOH, Chattanooga very much "punches above its weight". If you are looking for a city from a "go team" type standpoint, Chattanooga is your best choice. It is very dynamic.

My advice for people considering both cities is usually to visit both and see if there is a preference. But if you are more interested in what other people think... in that case Chattanooga is for you. It puts out a lot of PR. Not to day it doesn't deserve it, just Knoxville is more laid back.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:56 PM

97 posts, read 59,901 times
Chattanooga is one of my favorite cities. Would choose it over all the others.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:11 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,380,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Knoxville has a smaller downtown with a lot of restaurants/retail very close together. Market square is a gem.
Market Square is a nice aesthetic, but that's where it stops. The restaurants were awful, and there is no major retail there. It was a bunch of knick knack type of stores.

Quote:
I'm not sure why Shakeesha made this comment, I'll guess because she looks for new construction.
That's not true either, as Knoxville has larger suburbs with newer construction. Chattanooga has much better urban offerings in the core. Knoxville has a small downtown for its size. Neither city looks new from an outsider's point of view.

Quote:
Cities that are close to Knoxville in urban areas are Grand Rapids, Akron, New Haven, Colorado Springs, Columbia SC, Charleston SC, Ogden, Cape Coral, and Bakersfield. Except for Charleston SC, I'm pretty sure that Knoxville has as much or more to offer than the other cities. I'd say Knoxville pretty much "punches at it's weight", if not a little above.
I disagree, Grand Rapids and New Haven have better offerings. Grand Rapids has a growing economy and nicer downtown. New Haven is significantly more urban and has a higher GDP. The other cities I agree with you on.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM

4,985 posts, read 7,356,385 times
I don't expect Shakeesha will be visiting Knoxville, but if anyone else is reading along there are restaurants and retail on Gay St and along Union.

Yes, it's mostly entertainment shopping, though I have purchased practical things like a winter coat and a water filter from Mast General store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee