U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 AM

50 posts, read 113,445 times

Advertisements

I am looking online at prices of homes and found some in my price range in Brainerd/East Brainerd in Chattanooga. Can anyone tell me what that area is like? I own a home daycare and want to continue doing home daycare when I move. I have a teenager in high school and a 4th grader - I can either put her in school or home-school her. She is currently home-schooling. So I need a place where daycare is needed and schools are decent. Also a few kids in the neighborhood for my kids to hang out with. Of course, there needs to be some local activities/sports that my kids can get into. Their main sport is Karate. I would like a neighborhood grocery store, but expect to drive about 30 minutes or so to get to major shopping. I also would like to know how "neighborly" the area is. I moved to Florida not too long ago, and the main thing I can't stand about being here is that no one is neighborly - they are pleasant, like hi, how's the weather, but never really get to know each other - I'd like a place where neighbors invite each other over, actually become friends.

Last edited by vacationsover; 02-24-2008 at 08:39 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 AM

50 posts, read 113,445 times
Soooooooo, is this a REALLY bad area or is it just that no one that lives there is on this forum?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 AM

2,350 posts, read 7,434,928 times
Vacation, Brainerd and E Brainerd are two totally different animals lol E Brainerd has great schools and TONS of shopping but it will cost you and the traffic is IMHO a mess. Brainerd is still very close to general shopping (Walmart, grocery etc) but the schools are not so good and it's got a higher racial mix. It's also cheaper. What road/area exactly are you looking at and maybe we can help you more.

PS I am in BRAINERD Brainerd

Old 03-01-2008, 09:04 AM

382 posts, read 781,128 times
Vacationsover, there is a small area of Brainerd that is zoned for the East Ridge School system. East Ridge is it's own municipality, and the schools are decent. If you are already working with a realtor, ask them about the Navajo Hills and Glendon Place neighborhoods. Glendon Place is a bit pricey, but the area around it is a lot less expensive. It's close to the interstate, though you wouldn't know it because there are lots of big trees that screen the views and noise. Easy interstate access makes you only 10 minutes to downtown and huge shopping. You're close to East Ridge, a quiet community with grocery stores, the best farm stand in town, antique stores, and a great used book store. I just sold a house in Navajo Hills, and the neighbors were great - like it was the 1950's! Our back yard felt like a park. There were birds everywhere, and people were always walking their dogs. It's a relatively small area, so I don't know how many houses are currently listed at the lower price end. Brainerd and East Brainerd are both close to major shopping - being Hamilton Place Mall, the largest mall in Tennessee. You may want to also look into East Ridge. I used to be a bit snobby about the area, as I grew up on the North side of the river, so I never spent much time on the south side. But I live in East Ridge now, and I like the area. There are a lot of older people here that have been in their homes for 40-50 years, but because the area is affordable, there are young families moving in.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 AM

2,350 posts, read 7,434,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
I used to be a bit snobby about the area, as I grew up on the North side of the river, so I never spent much time on the south side. But I live in East Ridge now, and I like the area. There are a lot of older people here that have been in their homes for 40-50 years, but because the area is affordable, there are young families moving in.
Same here! When I bought my home in Brainerd my family acted like I was moving to Mars LOL We have the same kind of neighborhood as you on this side of the interstate. Lots of kids, everyone knows all their neighbors etc...

Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 AM

I think Brainerd is up-and-coming. Not every area for certain, but I know quite a few people that have bought in Brainerd - young couples, some with kids. They are all fixing up their houses, investing in the neighborhood. I think we'll see a lot of 20 and 30-somethings moving in because they like the old home charm but can't afford the North Chattanooga Price.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Vacationsover, might I suggest you repost this thread in the Chattanooga forum? You'll get more response. If you do end up in Brainerd, we'll probably unknowingly pass each other in the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee