Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 17,166,459 times

Advertisements

Yep, it is stupid. "They" are trying to figure out why our economy is slowing? Um, well, for one, I can't afford gas to do anything except drive to work and back. Seriously. I stop once a week to pick up supplies on my way home from work, and that's it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM

62 posts, read 205,724 times
Commodities market just closed with all time record highs,not a good sign.
Crude @ 117.00
Wholesale gas @2.99

Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 AM

16 posts, read 55,009 times
Unhappy $3.47 for reg in MI as of yesterday

Last week it was up to 3.57/gal for reg in Pierson MI, has dropped to 3.47/gal as of yesterday. We will be driving a 24 ft truck with a 55 gal tank, a Mercury Grand Marquis, and a dodge neon, I'm praying the money we have set aside for gas will be enough....

Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,366,602 times
Default Gas Prices

Yesterday on the way to the bank to get some milk and eggs from the vault I noticed that unleaded regular was $3.43 here in Kingsport.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
The sad thing is gas could be dropped to a $2.00 a gallon and the top dogs would still make tons of money. It is nothing but greed. I wish everyone in the USA would stop buying gas for an entire week. Everyone at once. I bet they would lower gas quite a bit.
......ok, I'll restrain myself, and just comment that this poster should honestly do some research, instead of listening to rhetoric. Just take a look at the gas pump next time you're filling up and see just how much state tax is lumped onto the price of gasoline.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
$3.49 here in Western PA, with about 43c per gallon state tax per gallon on gasoline. I commute about 21 miles and try to combine as many stops as possible on the drive back. I've got to fill up today. And the PowerBall is up to $105 million.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
......ok, I'll restrain myself, and just comment that this poster should honestly do some research, instead of listening to rhetoric. Just take a look at the gas pump next time you're filling up and see just how much state tax is lumped onto the price of gasoline.

blessings, Shen
Shen, you are so right. Furthermore, the oil industry makes around 8 cents per gallon of gasoline sold. I work for a trucking company that spends several million dollars per month on diesel fuel and they get a discount of only 5 cents per gallon.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Ridgerunner, anytime I see a political ad that the politician wants to tax "Windfall Profits", I want to barf. Since when is 8c per gallon a windfall? Especially since the government is taking 43c per gallon?? Who, here, is truly getting the 'Windfall Profit'?? And also consider that out of that 8c per gallon, the oil companies have exploration, drilling and refining costs, as well as administrative and delivery. I'd say their profit margin is pretty low.
Hurricane Katrina really opened everyone's eyes to the need for more and newer oil refineries, as well as developing shale oil in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah, along with drilling in ANWR.

From Heritage.org:
"Since the 1980s, the cost of oil exploration and drilling has increased. These projects cost billions of dollars and last for decades, over which time the price of oil will fluctuate. Indeed, the price of oil was well under $20 per barrel for most of the 1990s, reaching a low near $10 per barrel as recently as 1998. Needless to say, oil industry profits were quite modest at the time, and many oil wells were operating at a loss. If producers have to endure periods of low oil prices but must forfeit extra proceeds to the government in times of high prices, they will not undertake as much exploration and drilling. OPEC and foreign oil companies would again be given a comparative advantage relative to U.S.-based firms."

blessings, Shen

Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Ridgerunner, anytime I see a political ad that the politician wants to tax "Windfall Profits", I want to barf. Since when is 8c per gallon a windfall? Especially since the government is taking 43c per gallon?? Who, here, is truly getting the 'Windfall Profit'?? And also consider that out of that 8c per gallon, the oil companies have exploration, drilling and refining costs, as well as administrative and delivery. I'd say their profit margin is pretty low.
Hurricane Katrina really opened everyone's eyes to the need for more and newer oil refineries, as well as developing shale oil in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah, along with drilling in ANWR.

From Heritage.org:
"Since the 1980s, the cost of oil exploration and drilling has increased. These projects cost billions of dollars and last for decades, over which time the price of oil will fluctuate. Indeed, the price of oil was well under $20 per barrel for most of the 1990s, reaching a low near $10 per barrel as recently as 1998. Needless to say, oil industry profits were quite modest at the time, and many oil wells were operating at a loss. If producers have to endure periods of low oil prices but must forfeit extra proceeds to the government in times of high prices, they will not undertake as much exploration and drilling. OPEC and foreign oil companies would again be given a comparative advantage relative to U.S.-based firms."

blessings, Shen
Another big problem we have is spineless politicians who will not stand up to the environmentalist wackos who prevent drilling in our vast oil reserves. Meanwhile, Russia and other nations are drilling just off our shores.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
Wow! I saw lots of $3.35 and one $3.37 today in Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee