U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 PM

263 posts, read 739,188 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I recently heard from a Recruiter that is looking to fill a job position in Union City, TN.

I know nothing of the state or the city, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the city or the area.

I'm honestly hesitant right now because of the location because it would be another relocation to more of an “outpost area” career wise for me. My job field is pretty specialized and job opportunities aren't really plentiful, so should I really desire to “settle in” to an area and want to plan a long term future there, or if I get laid off, it's unlikely that I'd find other viable jobs. There are skills I could apply to other industries, but it's not like I would have the versatility of a more generalized profession. So basically, the job I would relocate for would probably be my only employment opportunity.

I feel it's also appropriate to give some of my background info. I'm a 36 yr old single white man with no kids. Without wanting to start a political conversation or rile people up (and I don't want to talk politics right now) I'll say that I would consider myself “Liberal” and I'm not sure I would be thrilled to live in a very Conservative, Evangelical place.

I grew up in a small town of 4,500 people in Northern Michigan, so I'm not adverse to living in a small town, but it would depend to me on what else there is to do in the area. I like to hike, camp, kayak, and hunt, so I could probably find something to do if that's a good region for outdoor activities, but I don't want to live some place that's really isolated and completely lacking in the standard city conveniences like major retail stores, internet service, cable TV, etc. Living someplace wooded is nice to me, living someplace desolate and isolated isn't.

So if you know the area what can you tell me about it?

I've read the city profile on this website and I know that it's a small town of 10,000 that's about 2 hrs from Memphis and about 3 to Nashville and that's about it.

What can you tell me about any surrounding towns and cities?

How's the economy there and unemployment and poverty level?

Is there a decent amount of apartments or other housing available for rent?

Are there good places of outdoor recreation like hiking, fishing, camping, etc?

What is the geography like there? Hilly? Flat farm land?

I'm assuming that a town that small is “safe”, but are there any other issues like crime related to meth or opiate users?

What do they have for stores, etc in the area (Walmart, Lowes, etc you get the idea)?

Is there anything to do there in general or night life?

Is this a Tornado prone area?

How hot are the summers?

Any other general impressions you have of the area would be helpful too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:41 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
I don't think we have any regular forum members that live in the area.
I have been through years ago, wasn't a lot in the area other than UT Martin and I don't think it has changed much except for Discovery Park.
Western TN is generally gently rolling landscape with a mix of forest and farms, with hot muggy summers and chilly winters. If you like the outdoors it's close to reelfoot lake and to land between the lakes. For shopping and entertainment I'd use the search nearby feature on google maps to get a list of restaurants and grocery stores and the like.
I think there may have been a few older threads about Union City too, so you may want to do a search for them on this subforum

Old 10-14-2016, 04:18 PM

4,989 posts, read 4,487,989 times
My husband is from Northwest TN. Based on your post, I don't think Union City would be a good fit for you.

It's one of the few places in the state that is losing population. You would not like the politics and it's pretty dominated by religion. They just recently got "liquor by the drink" passed. (Meaning restaurants can now serve alcoholic beverages besides beer).

There is very little retail and not many good restaurants. Most people drive an hour to Paducah, KY or Jackson, TN to do real shopping.

I have no idea what a 36 year old single person would do for fun or to meet people if you didn't go to church.

It's not particularly safe, and there are plenty of drugs in the city. Unemployment is bad, poverty is bad. Union City has really struggled since the Goodyear plant closed.

And it does get hot and humid in the summer. The area is mostly flat farm land, lots of farmers.

The only thing that might fit is your desire for an area with outdoor activities. UC is close to Reelfoot Lake, which is a big hunting/fishing area.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:46 PM

263 posts, read 473,204 times
I don't give advice...

but don't do it!

There are only two parts of this state that I would completely advise someone your age an in your situation to avoid: 1) the southeastern portion of Middle TN for lack of better terminology; and 2) NW TN.

Neither of those areas offer anything for a young, single, progressive such as yourself -- and both are just far enough away from a major city to be extremely frustrating. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I think you would regret it.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,745,617 times
Im in my mid 20s, live in West TN and I have no problem with Union City, but no it will not be a good fit for what you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or