U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 23,695 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on safe, middle-class towns. I have posted in the NC forum (we lived there for some time) but I'm looking for more options since we want both scenery and close access to water... Which we can't have both there. I have NEVER gone to TN so I don't even know where to start looking. A bit of an insight: we are a young family with 2 small children, middle-class. Home price range mid 100k to $170k. My husband is an auto/diesel mechanic but due to his injuries from being in the Marines, he's looking for something that is less strainuous. School district is important, as well as close access to a hospital (we don't want to be in a city but we don't want to be so distanced). Being close to a lake is also a plus for water activities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 06:23 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,313,065 times
Secure a job first ......

Then you can locate a house for rent for awhile to make sure the job is OK and you know how much you can afford around that area....

Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Secure a job first ......

Then you can locate a house for rent for awhile to make sure the job is OK and you know how much you can afford around that area....
Job is open.. My husband is medically retired from the military.. He doesn't need to work. I am pursuing teaching. My good friend lives in Medina... Are you familiar with that area at all?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:59 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,957,165 times
A lot of people seem to like the Cookeville/Crossville areas. There are hospitals in both places. The area has many state parks, some with lakes. I will be retiring in this area possibly next year. One of the moderators on this forum, JMT, has said many times that Cookeville has excellent schools. More information is available at the links below.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cookeville-Tennessee.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Crossville-Tennessee.html

Check out the Cookeville forum here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cookeville/

Old 11-11-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
A lot of people seem to like the Cookeville/Crossville areas. There are hospitals in both places. The area has many state parks, some with lakes. I will be retiring in this area possibly next year. One of the moderators on this forum, JMT, has said many times that Cookeville has excellent schools. More information is available at the links below.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cookeville-Tennessee.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Crossville-Tennessee.html

Check out the Cookeville forum here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cookeville/

The area looks beautiful! Thank you very much for the recommendation, I've never heard of it before. I'm trying to visit the state early spring. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2016, 05:29 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,313,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asousa View Post
Job is open.. My husband is medically retired from the military.. He doesn't need to work. I am pursuing teaching. My good friend lives in Medina... Are you familiar with that area at all?

Not familiar with Madina, only know it's West of Nashville. I'm on the plateau near Crossville...

As JG suggests....Cookeville/Crossville....

Old 11-12-2016, 02:14 PM

4,989 posts, read 4,490,835 times
Medina is a suburb of Jackson. It's probably a fine place to live, but I wouldn't call that area scenic.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Medina is a suburb of Jackson. It's probably a fine place to live, but I wouldn't call that area scenic.
That's what I thought too..it looks fairly "suburban." I also saw that Jackson had a fairly high crime rate so I figured I would ask others.. My friend is pretty biased since shesfrom there.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM

598 posts, read 630,713 times
Johnson City seems to tick a lot of boxes for you. Great schools, large hospital, one of the top VA facilities in the country, beautiful scenery and several lakes nearby.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:56 PM

11,609 posts, read 31,794,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asousa View Post
The area looks beautiful! Thank you very much for the recommendation, I've never heard of it before. I'm trying to visit the state early spring. Thanks!
Definitely agree with the Cookeville suggestion. Great schools, growing economy, low cost of living, low crime, beautiful area, lots of area lakes, waterfalls, parks, large hospital, a children's museum, children's theater, children's library, and it's only an hour from Nashville and only about 3 hours from your friend in Medina. There's also a VA clinic in town.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or