U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM

50 posts, read 26,697 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking at visiting a state next year for a couple of weeks holiday and am thinking of Tennessee, however I don't know an awful lot about it.

I went to Texas for 3 weeks this year and absolutely loved it. Is Tennessee in any way similar?

Tourist attractions aren't really my thing, it's more about visiting new places and meeting new people, Texans were incredibly friendly, do people in Tennessee have the same 'southern hospitality' thing going on?

Finally, I'm 28 so enjoy going to bars, live music, American football etc - are the cities in Tennessee good for this? I know you have the Titans, not sure which college football teams you have?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 01:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 13,334,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_new View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at visiting a state next year for a couple of weeks holiday and am thinking of Tennessee, however I don't know an awful lot about it.

I went to Texas for 3 weeks this year and absolutely loved it. Is Tennessee in any way similar? Horses and music? Lots of country folks and southern cooking and pick up trucks? but we don't have a funny twang like they do

Tourist attractions aren't really my thing, it's more about visiting new places and meeting new people, Texans were incredibly friendly, do people in Tennessee have the same 'southern hospitality' thing going on? Yeah, pretty much. People hold open doors, chat your ears off, call you ma'am or sir and will 'bless your heart' as needed, lol. Much more noticeable in smaller towns though.

Finally, I'm 28 so enjoy going to bars, live music, American football etc - are the cities in Tennessee good for this? I know you have the Titans, not sure which college football teams you have? A game at UTknoxville is a must if you come to TN https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b6f3b2418a.jpg

Thanks in advance
Music could be an entire thread on it's own, I'll let other people run with that one, or you could do a search on this forum and probably come up with a ton of info on places to go.
Pretty state, big with a lot of variation from one end to the other, plenty to see and do depending on your interests.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:55 PM

37 posts, read 15,340 times
Yes, I would say Tennesseans definitely have southern hospitality and are very friendly.

For big cities, you have Memphis or Nashville. Both have bars and music. Nashville is drawing more tourists lately, but there are devoted Memphis fans as well.

The University of Tennessee in Knoxville is the mecca for college football in the state and is well known nationally for the passionate fan base and VERY large stadium. Knoxville is nice as is Chattanooga - a beautiful, under the radar place with lots to do.

I would say Tennessee is similar to Texas in culture. The state is much smaller and generally more green one end to the other.

If you enjoyed Texas I'd say you'd have a great time in Tennessee. Best times of year are April - June and October - November imo for weather, etc. Come on down for a visit!

Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,201,788 times
If you are coming for Football, September/October is a good time.

Will you be driving or taking busses? One good thing about Knoxville is there are dozens of music venues in and around the downtown area. So lots of options if you are centrally located.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,779,346 times
If you have a couple weeks, I'd suggest renting a car and spending 3-4 in Nashville, 3-4 days in Memphis, then 3-4 days in New Orleans. That's a pretty cool road trip, and the drive from Memphis to New Orleans is chock full of very unique and interesting experiences like Clarksdale, Greenville and Vicksburg.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 PM

3,800 posts, read 3,428,133 times
When are you planning on having your holiday? This would be good for us to know for more detailed recommendations.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 PM

922 posts, read 1,404,315 times
Tennesseans were the first Texans... and they taught Texans all about friendliness.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Tennesseans were the first Texans... and they taught Texans all about friendliness.
Haha! That's good to know.

I'm aiming for October/November time so that the football season's started properly.

What I did in Texas was hire a car and then travel between the big cities, stopping off at a few smaller towns along the way, does Tennessee have the same thing? I'm a New Orleans Saints fan so whoever posted about going down to there, that would be a really interesting thing to do.

I've kind of narrowed it down to Tennessee, North Carolina or Georgia.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 13,334,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_new View Post
What I did in Texas was hire a car and then travel between the big cities, stopping off at a few smaller towns along the way, does Tennessee have the same thing? I'm a New Orleans Saints fan so whoever posted about going down to there, that would be a really interesting thing to do.
Interstate 40 runs across most of the state so that would be easy. Maybe fly into NOLA and drive up to Memphis, over to Nashville, on to Knoxville, down to Chattanooga and on into Atlanta to catch your flight back home. Assuming you have a good amount of time as it would be roughly 15 hours drive time to hit all six cities.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:20 AM

Cheers, that sounds do-able and I could time that to do a weekend in New Orleans and a weekend in Knoxville for the Saints and the Volunteers(?) respectively. Think that's the best/most organised plan so far! Flying out of Atlanta might be cheaper too as loads of planes from the uk fly there, seems to be a bit of a hub.

One other question, and I hope I don't sound rude asking it, but are Memphis and Atlanta safe?

I know all cities have their dodgy parts so if it's just certain areas of the city then that's fine. I'm from Liverpool in the UK and so am used to the stigma of living in a working class city that gets a bad reputation for no real reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee