U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 16,887 times
Default Does TN have deep-south culture?

I live in Missouri and my husband might get offered a job at MTSU in Murfreesboro. Missouri has a fairly casual atmosphere where people don't have to dress up, etc. My Mother-in-law says that I'll have a rude awakening if I move to TN because it is very deep-south and formal. Is this true? I will be involved in university events at a high level so I would like to know what to expect. I am very far from a southern belle. Will I fit in in Murfreesboro?

Last edited by akallen; 11-30-2006 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: confidentiality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,577,672 times
Default Don't worry

I don't want to say that your MIL is wrong or anything, but.....

I was told the same thing when I moved here, and it's just not true. I have gone to PTO meetings in a suit, workout clothes, and everything in between. Trust me when I tell you no one cares. Same for church.

I can't tell you what to expect at university functions, but overall culture does not require a hoop skirt and parasol.

I hope you love it here. We sure do.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM

21,595 posts, read 29,615,620 times
Not sure about Murfreesboro.

In the Knoxville area it is VERY Southern Belle. My husband and I have a joke about it. I call them the "matchy-matchy girls!"

I worked at a temp job where about six of them sat around all day giggling about bridal showers and babies. Nobody said a word to them. Then men thought they were so cu-uuute! Everyone of them were UT grads.

<Huge eyeroll>

I'm finding the little girls here are extremely catty, too, so I guess they are raised that way.

I had a hard time finding a church that wasn't superficial, too. I think I finally found one.

I use to be concerned with my appearance, but when I lived in Florida I began to relax. It's too hot to wear makeup and hairspray. Everybody dresses casually. Now that I've moved I can't seem to break out of the habit.

I start a job on Monday and those folks didn't seem very concerned with appearances. Really big corporation, too.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:08 PM

Default akm4

Where do you live and did you have makeup on at the PTO meetings and church?

Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,887 times
I'm from Kansas City and I do wear a little makeup, more for parties and events, but I usually dress as casually as I can get away with. My MIL lived in Jackson, MS after growing up in TX and she said it was very difficult to fit in. Let's just say, I am no social butterfly.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Actually, I was asking AKM4. You can show up in sweats at a PTO meeting and still look very pulled together. But I'm not sure where she lives.

Like I said, no one looked very pulled together at my job interview. It looked like a place where I would fit in. I hope I'm right!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,577,672 times
Default Franklin

In Williamson County. Yes I wear makeup, but not if I'm on my way to the gym after the meeting. Yes, there are matchy matchy moms too, but it's just not an issue. I have a friend whose kids go to a public school in Brentwood and she says every function is like a fashion show. She chooses not to buy into it, and has still been accepted with open arms.

As for the church, we go to a United Methodist church where anything goes. Shorts, suit and tie, whatever. It's not about that there, thank goodness.

We moved here from the Lake Tahoe area, and I will admit to dressing up more in general here. I never felt any pressure to, though. Just a happy byproduct of not having to carry firewood or chain up the car, LOL!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Hilarious!

That is too funny. The church I found is the United Methodist Church, too. They seem like great folks. Most welcoming folks I've ever met. We are DEFINITELY going back next week.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 PM

93 posts, read 313,919 times
Ask the people who you are going to work with!! This is a valid question. Dress code is a reflection of corp culture anyway

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM

408 posts, read 1,305,592 times
Overall, I'd say most people opt for causal in general everyday situations. I don't really recall any professors at MTSU standing out as dressing up (males or females). I don't recall the regular staff being dressy either.
There are people who like to dress up pretty much all the time and there are people who only do so on special occasions. I don't think you will have trouble fitting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee