Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:24 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,395,858 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I can't think of anywhere where selling novelty mugs would be worthwhile. Unless, you mean just as a hobby. Tennessee's economy is not nearly as vibrant as California's, but it's a lot cheaper too. And small town people can be insular, suspicious of outsiders and disinterested in the outside world.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM

25 posts, read 35,614 times
I live in Chattanooga, born in Kingsport, raised in Nashville. I'll be honest I laughed when you said you would want to move to a 'small community' outside Chattanooga. You're talking about the Deep South. Super insular, super conservative, super religious. People that have lived their whole lives in that town. I just can't see some California coffee mug salesman being accepted in any way. Nashville would be your best option in the state, but close to the city. I'm probably being rude but I think someone needs to give you a fair warning that deep south conservative is not just 'Woo America and capitalism!' it's deeply entrenched tradition that makes up entire worldviews. They aren't going to take you in just because you voted for Trump or whatever.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 PM

182 posts, read 226,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolinman View Post
I live in Chattanooga, born in Kingsport, raised in Nashville. I'll be honest I laughed when you said you would want to move to a 'small community' outside Chattanooga. You're talking about the Deep South. Super insular, super conservative, super religious. People that have lived their whole lives in that town. I just can't see some California coffee mug salesman being accepted in any way. Nashville would be your best option in the state, but close to the city. I'm probably being rude but I think someone needs to give you a fair warning that deep south conservative is not just 'Woo America and capitalism!' it's deeply entrenched tradition that makes up entire worldviews. They aren't going to take you in just because you voted for Trump or whatever.
Tennessee isn't the deep south but i see your point

Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM

11,054 posts, read 7,127,714 times
Sometimes people just do research online from a distance, and get sort of sterile data (statistics, numbers, etc.) The information may not even be wrong, but it's only one dimension and piece of the pie.

There's a whole other dimension, as I've discovered. I'm talking about regional and cultural differences. This includes how people communicate with each other, the use of words and dialect, philosophies, history, and of course culture. I moved a few years ago just two states away and found a very alien environment. I'm still trying to understand people in my current area.

For the OP though - going from CA to TN - that would be a relocation of great distance and many regions and cultures. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but there's a lot to keep in mind and consider. There's much more to this relocation business than meets the eye! I'd visit the desired area first and spend as much time as possible locally, soaking in the ways of the people and the interactions. Even if you seemingly get along well on the outer surface, you still might not connect with the locals and natives. That can happen anywhere between two different regions.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:17 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,657,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolinman View Post
Well, contrary to this persons views or experience. Not saying they are wrong or right, i just have a different perspective..

I was raised just north west of Chattanooga... (grundy county) and my parents still live their today. I expect to retire and move back there in ~10 years or so. Its not what I would call the DEEP SOUTH... MOST of the folks there have Northern ancestry.. having moved their in the early to mid 19th century to escape the heat and humidity of many northern cities centered around rivers... Conservative, yes but NOT SUPER Conservative. A close friend of mine, who i grew up with, still lives there and is very liberal and his (liberal) mom used to help run the city in her younger days. Currently, the Mayor (elect) is gay (Democrat). He beat out the Republican incumbent who was a scoundrel so my dad says.. My dad tells me the new Mayor is a heck of a nice guy and hopes he does what he says he will... Folks care less about Party at the local level than they do the National level. Most probably voted Trump, but also voted democrat at the local level simply because they don't put up with nonsense... if you don't do what you say you are gonna do... your gonna be looking for a new job regardless of party affiliation.

One of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges is in the next town, which is super Liberal and most of the kids that attend are from out of town (rich kids) but as of yet, there has been no civil war... no rocks thrown, no antics what so ever... no trump marches, pro or anti... who has time for that crap! Religious yes, but NOT SUPER RELIGIOUS.. and you certainly wont be looked down upon if your are not a regular in church. You will be welcome as long as you are nice.. you will be treated the same. If you get along with people from where your at today, then you will get along with people in this small town.. I have always found that good people get along with good people.. PERIOD..

Now as for the economy.. that's a different story. I would NOT recommend starting a new business in this town. Small towns like this tend to be poor.. and the economy even worse. You would be hard pressed trying to sell much of anything outside of a necessity. But, you could easily commute back and forth to Chattanooga to run your business if you so desired.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 PM

12,829 posts, read 9,019,947 times
When you say selling gift mugs, do you mean like one at a time to tourists or do you mean as a production effort making customer mugs such as those with company logos used for marketing? That would be two very different parts of the state. Tourist region is either Gatlinburg or Chattanooga (BTW, love Chattanooga, but it is a bit of a mixed town with some modern tourist areas and a lot of very run down, rust belt regions).

If you're talking more of a production place rather than tourist gift shop, middle Tenn is good to think of, such as Murfreesboro region. Good manufacturing base and workforce with easy access to distribution.

Which now that we mention it, there are three states to Tennessee, each with their own culture. Eastern Tennessee is the mountainous region with a strong Scotch Irish heritage. Most insular part of the state. Middle Tennessee is probably most middle American like of the state with good education level. The western part of the state (Memphis) is different once again, with a bit of deep South thrown in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee