U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times
Smile Good Tennessee City to move to when you are legally blind and can't drive.

I am legally blind and live in Florida. I am planning on moving to Tennessee between May and July. I am 46, single and very independent. I can't drive of course so I need an area that has great local transportation.

I have been to a few towns in Tenn and loved the area. Everywhere I visited and traveled thru was so beautiful, simple and friendly.

What is a great place to live in Tennessee that has, public transportation, great medical care, layed back life style, cooler summers, low cost housing. I will be renting a house of apartment. I have two small dogs so I need a place that allows dogs and is fairly inexpensive. A pool would be great but I am not sure how often people build pools in their yards in Tennessee. I have other medical issues and need water therapy for my knees and back. I am falling apart but keep going and going.

I would love some help in finding the perfect city and place to live. If I could walk to shopping that would even be better.

Any help you can give is so appreciated. I thought that this was better than just picking a city at random. I don't want to live in a city that is too busy like knoxville, etc.

Thanks for any help. D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 PM

5,527 posts, read 9,022,750 times
Argh! This board is so weirdly frustrating sometimes. I posted a reply, which it posted 4 times, then I tried to delete the duplicates, and it deleted all four "as one"!!!

Argh.

I'll try to remember what all I said....

I think that in order to get fair public transport here in TN, you'd need to stick to the "big 4" TN cities: Nash/Knox/Memphis/Chattanooga. Chattanooga is the smallest of the four, and actually I'm not sure how its transport system (someone else will, I'm sure). Knoxville probably has the coolest summers, but you said that was a bit too big, so...

Johnson City (smaller city) has "okay" public transport - it'll get you where you're going, but you might have to be a bit more flexible with your schedule. Or, if you live near ETSU's campus (Walnut St, Seminole Dr, Greenwood Dr) you could conceivably walk to Kroger's/Earth Fare/liquor stores/fast food/coffee house. I see people do it, but this is definitely a traffic city. Due to our geographic location we probably have the coolest summers of any big or mid-sized cities in TN, along with Kingsport and Bristol (the three of which constitute the Tri-Cities).

I'm not sure of any other smaller cities that have public transport. Cookeville probably does, along with some Nashville burb cities.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 PM

9,016 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Argh! This board is so weirdly frustrating sometimes. I posted a reply, which it posted 4 times, then I tried to delete the duplicates, and it deleted all four "as one"!!!

Argh.

I'll try to remember what all I said....

I think that in order to get fair public transport here in TN, you'd need to stick to the "big 4" TN cities: Nash/Knox/Memphis/Chattanooga. Chattanooga is the smallest of the four, and actually I'm not sure how its transport system (someone else will, I'm sure). Knoxville probably has the coolest summers, but you said that was a bit too big, so...

Johnson City (smaller city) has "okay" public transport - it'll get you where you're going, but you might have to be a bit more flexible with your schedule. Or, if you live near ETSU's campus (Walnut St, Seminole Dr, Greenwood Dr) you could conceivably walk to Kroger's/Earth Fare/liquor stores/fast food/coffee house. I see people do it, but this is definitely a traffic city. Due to our geographic location we probably have the coolest summers of any big or mid-sized cities in TN, along with Kingsport and Bristol (the three of which constitute the Tri-Cities).

I'm not sure of any other smaller cities that have public transport. Cookeville probably does, along with some Nashville burb cities.
Sadly, Cookeville doesn't have much of a public transportation system. I mean it DOES have one, but you have to call ahead of time to have them pick you up.

Having said that, Cookeville would be a WONDERFUL place. Excellent medical facilities, easily walkable downtown including a downtown supermarket and farmers market, low cost of living.

From what I've seen, Memphis has the best public transportation system in Tennessee. By far. However, Memphis hardly has "cooler" summer. They're more like Bangladesh muggy summers.

Anyway, I hope the OP is able to find something suitable here in Tennessee. I wish I could do more to help.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 16,803 times
Murfreesboro started a public transportation system not long ago called Rover. Rover (http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/government/rover/welcome.htm - broken link)

The route for the system does pass thru or very near several residential areas.

Also Nashville's MTA system offers a route from Murfreesboro into Nashville.
http://www.nashvillemta.org/maps/route96.pdf

The summers here are typically warmer than what East TN has but aren't quite as bad as Memphis.

Hope this info helps some and good luck on your move!
Frostfree

Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 AM

22,332 posts, read 17,183,095 times
The Nation Federation for the Blind has a chapter in Middle Tennessee with a website and contact information.

National Federation of the Blind - Middle Tennessee Chapter Home Page

Perhaps they could give you some advice on which Tennessee city is most blind-friendly because I don't think we who aren't blind would consider things we take for granted that might be important to you. Examples might be state and local laws regarding seeing eye dogs, local library facilities/equipment, blind-friendly traffic signals/crossings for pedestrians.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 PM
DRD

38 posts, read 85,982 times
Default Tennessee Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordvero View Post
I am legally blind and live in Florida. I am planning on moving to Tennessee between May and July. I am 46, single and very independent. I can't drive of course so I need an area that has great local transportation.

I have been to a few towns in Tenn and loved the area. Everywhere I visited and traveled thru was so beautiful, simple and friendly.

What is a great place to live in Tennessee that has, public transportation, great medical care, layed back life style, cooler summers, low cost housing. I will be renting a house of apartment. I have two small dogs so I need a place that allows dogs and is fairly inexpensive. A pool would be great but I am not sure how often people build pools in their yards in Tennessee. I have other medical issues and need water therapy for my knees and back. I am falling apart but keep going and going.

I would love some help in finding the perfect city and place to live. If I could walk to shopping that would even be better.

Any help you can give is so appreciated. I thought that this was better than just picking a city at random. I don't want to live in a city that is too busy like knoxville, etc.

Thanks for any help. D
If you didn't want to live in Knoxville, you might want to consider just south of Knoxville in Seiverville or Pigeon Forge, rentals are reasonable and Pigeon Forge has an absolutely beautiful civic center along with newer supermarkets and the outlet malls in town.

They have just about everything a person would want in restaurants.

Pigeon Forge also has a lot going on during the sunmmer so there's no shortage of things to do.

Gatlinburg is heaven on earth, being in the foothills of the Smoky's and has a trolley system that permits great coverage for the area.

People in general are pleasant and seem educated beyond what you normally find in the south.

Of course your medical care is top of the line in Knoxville, just a short 25-30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee