Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,373,219 times

Advertisements

Officials in Clarksville are studying whether the city should choose metro government. Doing so will make Clarksville the third largest city in Tennessee.

Task force to consider Clarksville-Montgomery County merger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 PM

320 posts, read 540,290 times
Interesting.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
This is one topic that deserves coffee over conversation. :-) like everything there are pros and cons. I personally do not see much benefit. The Davidson county Metro seems to always be the example, they forget to mention that Goodlettsville is part of Davidson County, not part of Metro.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeMartin View Post
This is one topic that deserves coffee over conversation. :-) like everything there are pros and cons. I personally do not see much benefit. The Davidson county Metro seems to always be the example, they forget to mention that Goodlettsville is part of Davidson County, not part of Metro.
That isn't true. Goodlettsville is a split city. Part of it is in Sumner County and part of it is in Davidson County. The part that is in Davidson County is part of Metro. Goodlettsville residents vote for the Mayor of Nashville and have a Metro Councilman. They also have a leadership structure for the city of Goodlettsville. 100% of residents in Davidson County are part of Metro Nashville. The few "satellite cities" in Metro (Goodlettsville, Berry Hill, Oak Hill, Forest Hills, & Belle Meade) maintain some functions like land use policies, but all rely on Metro for schools, EMS, parks, and police. Goodlettsville maintains a Fire Department, but Metro Fire supplies EMS service and also provide "backup" to Goodlettsville Fire. Goodlettsville, Belle Meade, and Berry Hill all have police departments, but those cities are also fully in the jurisdiction of Metro Nashville Police. These satellite cities are something more than neighborhoods but something less than cities - hence the name "satellite city."

As far as benefit, I think there are plenty of positive examples. Nashville has a Metro Government and is clearly successful. Other large cities with metro style governments include Louisville, Lexington, Jacksonville, and Indianapolis, all of which are doing well.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
That isn't true. Goodlettsville is a split city. Part of it is in Sumner County and part of it is in Davidson County. The part that is in Davidson County is part of Metro. Goodlettsville residents vote for the Mayor of Nashville and have a Metro Councilman. They also have a leadership structure for the city of Goodlettsville. 100% of residents in Davidson County are part of Metro Nashville. The few "satellite cities" in Metro (Goodlettsville, Berry Hill, Oak Hill, Forest Hills, & Belle Meade) maintain some functions like land use policies, but all rely on Metro for schools, EMS, parks, and police. Goodlettsville maintains a Fire Department, but Metro Fire supplies EMS service and also provide "backup" to Goodlettsville Fire. Goodlettsville, Belle Meade, and Berry Hill all have police departments, but those cities are also fully in the jurisdiction of Metro Nashville Police. These satellite cities are something more than neighborhoods but something less than cities - hence the name "satellite city."

As far as benefit, I think there are plenty of positive examples. Nashville has a Metro Government and is clearly successful. Other large cities with metro style governments include Louisville, Lexington, Jacksonville, and Indianapolis, all of which are doing well.

I agree. I think Clarksville has a good argument for going metro. Being the only incorporated city in a largely rural county does help the city streamline services. I also think it will help Clarksville be seen as a more serious city in the state rather than a small town. Once metro government occurs, the city can start to invest the new tax dollars into creating more urban development in the core. Clarksville is also long overdue for infrastructure upgrades. Lexington and Louisville are good models.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,887,996 times
Ohh Really

Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Clarksville Metro Government

Clarksville is putting metro government up for a vote November 6th.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/co...ounty-heats-up

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
I think you're burying the lede here. You don't create a metropolitan government for the simple reason of becoming the "3rd largest city in the state." That's ludicrous. Clarksville would still be the 6th largest metro and Montgomery County the 7th largest county.

What would actually be significant from a state perspective is that it would be the first significant city-county merger since Nashville and Davidson County in 1963 -- 55 years ago. Yes, Lynchburg and Moore County and Hartsville and Trousdale County have merged....but those are tiny towns with largely rural counties. If Clarksville and Montgomery County merge, it opens the door to other mid to large counties exploring the metropolitan government (and whether its benefits make sense in today's era).

I always thought Knoxville/Knox county made a lot of sense for metropolitan government, but one of my professors at UT laid out some fair points on why it wouldn't be as beneficial as you see in Nashville.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:33 AM

320 posts, read 540,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I always thought Knoxville/Knox county made a lot of sense for metropolitan government, but one of my professors at UT laid out some fair points on why it wouldn't be as beneficial as you see in Nashville.
Care to share those points, Nashvols?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsmith42 View Post
Care to share those points, Nashvols?
Mind you, this conversation was probably 12 years ago, so I can't remember too many specifics -- but this was a professor that I respected because he was very independent minded and, as far as I could tell, unbiased.

He did some research into the cost savings and found it would have minimal financial benefits -- and neither the city nor unincorporated county are too bad off with the current situation (unlike Nashville and Davidson County in the 1960s, where the city had the services, but a crumbling tax base, and the county had the tax base, but almost no services).

The other main point that stuck out was that it would dilute minority representation within the county. Census numbers at the time put the black population of the city of Knoxville at 16% (of 174,000 people) and Knox County at 8.6% (of 382,000).

Also (this is not from the professor's points), it would pretty much neutralize the Democratic party within Knox County. If you are a Democrat in Knoxville city currently, you have little chance of electing a Democrat to a county-wide office (though it is kind of cool that Knox County has the most kick-***** mayor in the country).

I'm not saying that Knoxville/Knox County should never consider it -- but it actually makes sense for the city of Knoxville to stay where they are right now.

Another quick statistic (relevant to this thread):

Percentage of county population:
Clarksville (153,205) ==> Montgomery (200,182) = 76.5%
Knoxville (187,347) ==> Knox (461,860) = 40.6%

It kind of makes sense for Clarksville to consolidate, because not only is it the only incorporated place in the county, but it already dominates. Knoxville, relatively speaking, is a smaller part of it's county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville