Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 04:35 PM

459 posts, read 475,207 times

Advertisements

Tennessee Introduces Bill Allowing People To Hit Protesters Blocking Roads - C.S.C. Media Group U.S.

I won't be committing on this as I have nothing to do with Tennessee, but those who live in Tennessee or drive through Tennessee a lot feel free to commit. Would you guys simply run them over? Is it ok if they shoot you if you do try to run them over claiming self defense? Lots of legal issues here.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The bill referred to says a driver must exercise due care, so no, you can't just run them over. It also only protects drivers from civil liability. So a protester who was "pushed" aside by a car could not then sue that driver.

It is the result of a sick baby from Arkansas whose parents were trying to rush the child over the Hernando DeSoto Bridge to a medical center in Memphis when the Black Lives Matter protesters had I-40 shut down over the bridge. It was a nightmare. The parents had to hand the baby off to paramedics on the other side of a concrete barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAg67adwJUY

Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 PM

263 posts, read 614,307 times
This bill is not really Tennessee-related. It's being pushed by a national group and has been introduced in several states. (It was first introduced in North Dakota if I remember correctly.)

Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
This bill is not really Tennessee-related.
Well, a version of it was filed and passed first consideration in the Tennessee state senate.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I support the bill, sends a message to these protester types that we won't permit thier disorder and un-American activities here. If you feel the need to have a protest or a tantrum then do it legal, get a permit and do not obstruct roads and the lives of people who actually have jobs and contribute to our society. If you are foolish enough to stand in the middle of a highway then you have chosen to risk being hit by a car. Why should the drivers of the cars on the road be held accountable for a foolish persons stupidity? They shouldn't, I hope the bill becomes law.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I support the bill, sends a message to these protester types that we won't permit thier disorder and un-American activities here.
Um......protesting is how America began....?

Old 02-14-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
Yeah, the American Revolution was a pretty good example of uncivil disobedience.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Tennessee Introduces Bill Allowing People To Hit Protesters Blocking Roads - C.S.C. Media Group U.S.

I won't be committing on this as I have nothing to do with Tennessee, but those who live in Tennessee or drive through Tennessee a lot feel free to commit. Would you guys simply run them over? Is it ok if they shoot you if you do try to run them over claiming self defense? Lots of legal issues here.
I support the bill. I have nothing against legal, civil protests but I also support citizens rights to travel unobstructed on roads built and maintained by their tax dollars. If your going to protest do it within legal boundaries.
I'm sure attorneys would have a field day with a lethal weapon self defense plea by some jackhole obstructing traffic and endangering lives.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:06 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post

these clowns are not protesting. they are anarchists rioting. They have no RIGHT to interrupt interstate commerce or emergency services. They deserve to be hit if they try to unlawfully block a highway. Didn't your parents teach you to not play on the interstate?

no one is saying do not LEGALLY protest. I may disagree with the message, but if they are legally and peacefully protesting fine, have at it. Causing violence, breaking the law, trespassing, vandalizing and taking over a highway is NOT LEGAL. EVER.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 PM

263 posts, read 614,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

these clowns are not protesting. they are anarchists rioting. They have no RIGHT to interrupt interstate commerce or emergency services. They deserve to be hit if they try to unlawfully block a highway. Didn't your parents teach you to not play on the interstate?
So in your view, if a person inconveniences you, they deserve to die?

Last edited by JMT; 02-15-2017 at 06:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee