U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,550,254 times

Advertisements

Great info! Thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,885,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
I wonder why people aren't attracted to west tennessee( memphis, etc) like they are to middle and east tn
Jobs (Middle>East)
Retirement (East>Middle)

Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,309,882 times
Quote:
I wonder why people aren't attracted to west tennessee( memphis, etc) like they are to middle and east tn
The economy here in West TN just isn't nearly what it is in Middle TN, or much of East TN for that matter. The Mid-South is heavily agrarian so the economic situation of West TN is much more in line with the Missouri Bootheel, Eastern Arkansas & the Mississippi Delta (Read: Depressed to very Depressed) than the rest of Tennessee.

West TN seems to be better off than the other regions I mentioned though. The oppressive summers & low terrain don't help much either.

I'm not a native though, so I may be missing a few things.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:44 PM

713 posts, read 1,035,740 times
Quote:
The government in Memphis is very corrupt. Lots of companies try to avoid corrupt governments. Fedex is a glaring exception but even that company refuses to go into the city limits.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:34 PM

6,428 posts, read 12,540,042 times
Yeah...

AutoZone
International Paper
ServiceMaster
And Fedex.

City Limits of Memphis:
City of Memphis

Fedex World Headquarters Location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fe...!4d-89.7912329

It's cool to hate on Memphis, just don't be an idiot.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
No. It's not cool to hate on Memphis. It's certainly OK not to like it -- or to think it's not the city for you. But it receives a disproportionate amount of hate. I have friends there. I've had a bit of fun there. It's not my town, but it's cool town in its own right. A lot of history and a lot to be proud of.

The statistics aren't too kind right now, but not all is grim. There's actually a fair bit of development happening in the Bluff City. It's not as happening as Nashville, for sure, but there are some very decent urban developments happening there. But they need a few big projects to get some attention. One Beale would go a long way to accomplishing that. It would give the city some visible momentum. Developments like Crosstown are great -- and it would also be *fantastic* if they can get something going in Sterrick -- but new construction will be what draws attention. Memphis could really use something new to hang its hat on -- something to say "we're moving forward."

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

6,428 posts, read 12,540,042 times
*shrug* I long ago gave up the ghost on countering Memphis trolling on C-D. If folks wanna do it, whatever. I'm not really in the business of engaging with that. But I can provide facts.

I lived in the shadow of Crosstown when that development was fomenting. It was a pretty cool time to be in the neighborhood. I had some friends on the development team so we got to go inside the building. The photos that I see now really show an amazing redevelopment. I honestly think the Crosstown dev is the shot in the arm that a lot of folks needed. It's an all-local team of folks and most (maybe all?) of the tenants are local, major organizations. I'm not sure Memphis is in the place, economically or spiritually, to be amped up to a new stage of identity by big new downtown towers. But it sure is amazing to see the Chisca, the Tennessee Brewery, and Crosstown saved by local folks and contributing as structures.

Now about that Sterrick....

Old Today, 05:40 PM

23 posts, read 3,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Yeah...

AutoZone
International Paper
ServiceMaster
And Fedex.

City Limits of Memphis:
City of Memphis

Fedex World Headquarters Location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fe...!4d-89.7912329

Because Fedex is HQ'd there is enough... Man they are the most passive aggressive delivery service in the history of mankind..

Old Today, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCis33 View Post
Because Fedex is HQ'd there is enough... Man they are the most passive aggressive delivery service in the history of mankind..
...outside of the US Postal Service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee