Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,104,608 times

Advertisements

Phyll, if the neighbor cannot eat red sauces, you wouldn't be able to use a tomato based BBQ sauce, either.

Take it from someone who has lots of food allergies - I would tell her what you were planning for dinner right down to the sauces and dressings. Ask her if she can eat all of those things you plan on serving.

With chicken, I love to serve creamy mashed potatoes with a milk and broth based gravy, sweet, fresh buttered corn scraped off the cob, a mixed green salad with chopped boiled egg and feta cheese, a relish - like cranberry/orange and lots of sweet tea. Yummy!

I would add the fresh-baked apple pie with a slice of sharp, sharp cheddar cheese, but I wouldn't ask your neighbor to take a nap! TINMAN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,150,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I LOVE collard greens. HATE turnip greens. Then again, the only food I don't like is turnips.

Phyl, I would think your neighbor would like anything you made. Why don't you just make the things you are good at and let her enjoy it? She just might be looking forward to seeing what a Yankee cooks.
That's not really a bad suggestion. I have a relative who's originally from Italy. Whenever she had us over for dinner she would cook what she thought would please us (southern, in other words); while I would have loved to have had something uniquely hers made by a "native Italian".

Well, heck, I would anything southern or Italian for that matter, but you know what I mean.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 PM

665 posts, read 1,921,515 times
Quote:
I LOVE collard greens. HATE turnip greens. Then again, the only food I don't like is turnips.

Phyl, I would think your neighbor would like anything you made. Why don't you just make the things you are good at and let her enjoy it? She just might be looking forward to seeing what a Yankee cooks.
LOL that sounds funny to me "how a northern cooks", up north we are big on cold Pasta salads, no red sauces,lots of veggies

Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
By the way, one thing that I've sometime noticed between cooks from "up yonder" and southern cooks, is that southerners enjoy more than one vegetable with a meal. Some northern cooks will serve a meat, a vegetable, and some nice bread. A southern cook with serve a meat, at least two or three vegetables, and either rolls or biscuits. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, say one "home-cooked" side and then something like green peas or yams out of a can that you've warmed up. It might not be quite as good as home-grown and canned, but it will do and no one will complain (at least not to your face ;-).
Yes, you are right about us "up yonder folks" LOL, serving a meat , veg and bread!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 PM

These ideas sound so wonderful and I will keep them ALL in mind!,hey you know Southern cooks are the best anyway,moving down here with all this GGOD food my hubby and I put on weight!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,092,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
LOL that sounds funny to me "how a northern cooks", up north we are big on cold Pasta salads, no red sauces,lots of veggies
No red sauces? What kind of weird part of Jersey are you from?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,254,078 times
Quote:

I SO agree with this! On the yucky turnip greens (I don;t like collard greens either though) and on make a dinner that you like and would serve to guests when they came over for dinner in Jersey. I did this for some new neighbors when we moved here. They were older folks, good southern farm family through and through. She was the first to introduce to me too the word "tobaggon" as something other than a sled hahhahaha.
Anyway, we invited them for dinner and had garlic grilled shrimp skewers, garlic smashed potatoes,(I love garlic) steamed asparagus and some rolls. I think there was another veggie but can't remember for sure. They LOVED it all.
She finished her plate first and even though we had been talking and having a nice meal, she put her fork down, looked up and me and said she needed to apologize to me. I was confused and didn't know what for. She said "I have never had a Yankee cook for me and I thought for sure I would eat enough to be polite then go home and cook us some real food. But this is wonderful and may I have seconds? Her husband half laughed and said "Yea, me too please, guess your gonna have to put that chicken back in the freezer when we get home Faye" LOL!
I love to cook and cook for other people. I think the more interesting the dish the better for company! You should see the menue I have planed for my folks 50th anniversary comming up, need to feed about 100 people from all over the country! Haven't had any complaints yet about dinner parties.....least none that I heard and folks come back next time around so I guess they like it too.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,368,987 times
You guys! I had to go get an after dinner snack! And now I am craving hot spinach dip (think Calhoun's). What's up with that? By the way, I feel sorry that your dinner guest can't have red sauces.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM

24,772 posts, read 28,406,474 times
Cool Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekeeper View Post
Phyll, if the neighbor cannot eat red sauces, you wouldn't be able to use a tomato based BBQ sauce, either.

Take it from someone who has lots of food allergies - I would tell her what you were planning for dinner right down to the sauces and dressings. Ask her if she can eat all of those things you plan on serving.

With chicken, I love to serve creamy mashed potatoes with a milk and broth based gravy, sweet, fresh buttered corn scraped off the cob, a mixed green salad with chopped boiled egg and feta cheese, a relish - like cranberry/orange and lots of sweet tea. Yummy!

I would add the fresh-baked apple pie with a slice of sharp, sharp cheddar cheese, but I wouldn't ask your neighbor to take a nap! TINMAN!!!
That depends on how well you know your neighbour. Then again that neighbour may have " Killer Cows"......

Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,390,213 times
If you're at a loss for a nice chicken recipe, this here is darn near the best chicken tenders recipe I've ever eaten--see "chicken strips":

http://www.lcni5.com/pages/specialse...ofroane/06.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee