Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 11,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I used to get really irritated when people twanged out the theme from "Deliverance" or asked about inbreeding.

Now, I find I have a weird reaction to these questions. I just nod and agree with them. Nuclear fallout? Yeah, it's here. Horrible, unhealthy air quality? Uh-huh. Trailers, junk cars, shotguns? Yup, yup, yup.

Tennessee is my secret. I don't want people flocking here. I love it just like this. With all the places we've lived, I've never felt that way. I don't correct anyone anymore.
hahahaha i agree 110%

i get same thing here in florida its like there is an east coast and a west coast and orlando and nothing in between
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 PM

29 posts, read 119,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmotic View Post
General attitude of southern people is absolutely nicer. No question about that. The real problems are poverty, underdevelopment, retardation, less-educated, less-open minded, less-diverse, and more religious culture.
Any Stats on that? Where did you come up with that information?
ouch!

Last time I went to (blank) I was afraid to walk down the street.
Beggars stopping and asking for money near the hospital there. Drunks sitting on benches with their bottles in a paper bag drinking while waiting on a bus.. man walking down the side of the street cursing and yelling ..at himself?? must be, he was alone...I quickly rolled up my window. People walking right out in front of your MOVING vehicle...No one looked at you, just kept walking. No one smiled as they passed you. People I saw ..Were they retarded? I don't know. Were they uneducated? I don't know. Was it underdevelopment/overdevelopment that caused it? I don't know. Where they poor? I still don't know. I wonder...were they more diverse than me? If so, I don't want to be that way.

I don't know why they act that way. Musta been the state they lived in..eh?
I don't think so. What I do think is, they have problems. Maybe if someone had taken the time to say hi and be friendly...Or maybe if they had gone to church and had a little religious culture in their life..Maybe if someone just gave a big rats ... am I upset? Yep...I am. Some of us may be uneducated but having lived a long time I can tell you, I have met some educated people that are just plain stupid. Some in my area have a 1st or 2nd grade education and have more sense than a few PHD's I know. I know some retarded folks too, they smile and say hello as well.
Tennessee, The Volunteer State. We help our neighbors, we love our families, we protect our children and guard our land....regardless of the fact that we are: poor, closed -minded, un-educated, and retarded and believe in the Bible. Welcome Home To Tennessee!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM

64 posts, read 303,888 times
I think Southern people are friendly and helpful because most of us are Christians. Jesus commanded us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Alot of people make fun of us because we believe in God and go to Church. Take that away from us and we would probably be just as mean as a snake.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,302 times
My mom raised me catholic and i married a jewish raised man both of us from New England now in FL. Though we don't go to church or get involved with our religions we would help anybody even if it was our last dollar we gave them. You don't necessarily have to be religious to be friendly and helpful. It just takes a special person to be able to do it on their own. I hope when we move to TN that people will realize what kind of people we are. Just because we may not go to church or follow our religion anymore, we'll still be the nicest people just like the ones you sit next to at church whatever religion it may be.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 PM

7,533 posts, read 17,219,213 times
I'm agnostic/antitheist (depends on which mood I'm in), and I'm as altruistic as anyone else here in the great state of TN. I've known some amazing Christians, Jews, Greek Orthodox, Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists, Muslims, Baha'is, and many more. I've also known people in most of these categories that are rotten to the core.

Thus, I think it's a bit unfair, and dare I say offensive (to me, if no one else) to posit that I'm as mean as a snake because I don't believe in a god.

Edit: I'm also native.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 PM

61 posts, read 244,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm agnostic/antitheist (depends on which mood I'm in), and I'm as altruistic as anyone else here in the great state of TN. I've known some amazing Christians, Jews, Greek Orthodox, Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists, Muslims, Baha'is, and many more. I've also known people in most of these categories that are rotten to the core.

Thus, I think it's a bit unfair, and dare I say offensive (to me, if no one else) to posit that I'm as mean as a snake because I don't believe in a god.

Edit: I'm also native.
Try not to be offended Jabo, I know people who don't believe in God that are very kind and generous people. And people who do beieve in God that are MEANER than a snake. You may not believe in God, but always remember this, He believes in you!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 PM

7,533 posts, read 17,219,213 times
Hee hee, I didn't know it was possible to get meaner than a snake!

Poor snakes, so maligned!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 PM

64 posts, read 303,888 times
Oops sorry didnt mean to offend anyone. I just have read so many posts about people asking why Southerners are nice and that was the only reason I could think of. Most of us have the Bible read to us from birth and when you believe in God and Heaven you just have to be happy. As far as a snake, my Grandmother use to tell me I was mean as a snake

Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeneve View Post
This is exactly what my daughter and son-in-law have encountered in their first few weeks in Tennessee. At first they were taken aback by "strangers" striking up a conversation with them... but then realized these were genuine, friendly people. Because of their experience in Florida (crime), they were hesitant to talk to people they don't know...

My daughter was shocked in a restaurant when someone apologized profusely for just bumping into her at the salad bar!
Yeah, when people from Tennessee smile and strike up a conversation, they don't necessarily want to sell you something or go to bed with you.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:17 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,376,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Yeah, when people from Tennessee smile and strike up a conversation, they don't necessarily want to sell you something or go to bed with you.
I can attest that all of the people from Tennessee that I have had the pleasure to meet have been very friendly and wonderful people. Some of the transplants aren't too bad either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee