Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,176 times

Advertisements

in 1960 I was transferred from Mobile ala to Charleston SC. I drove to Chattanooga to my parents then located a route which I thought looked the best(no freeways then!). My drive took me out of Chattanooga and on a 2 lane road bordering water with rocks in a shallow stream. I think maybe hwy 64 or 27---but can't recall positively.
The road was NOT friendly as it curved often and no places to stop. The route continued on thru and I wound up in NC and then had to drive south! Does anyone remember that route? I drove it alone and just remember the twisting and turning and the water with the rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,346,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj salmeron View Post
in 1960 I was transferred from Mobile ala to Charleston SC. I drove to Chattanooga to my parents then located a route which I thought looked the best(no freeways then!). My drive took me out of Chattanooga and on a 2 lane road bordering water with rocks in a shallow stream. I think maybe hwy 64 or 27---but can't recall positively.
The road was NOT friendly as it curved often and no places to stop. The route continued on thru and I wound up in NC and then had to drive south! Does anyone remember that route? I drove it alone and just remember the twisting and turning and the water with the rocks!
Are you talking about (the Tail of) the Dragon, US 129?

Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM

4,872 posts, read 4,984,538 times
Could've been 64. It follows the Ocoee River. It runs east and west, 27 runs north and south.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:28 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,203,296 times
Definitely Hwy 64/74. In 1960 the Ocoee was fully tamed with 95% of water diverted through a tunnel and a historic wooden flume for power generation. It's since been let loose during certain summer days for commercial whitewater rafting and kayaking. The whitewater portion of the 1996 Summer Olympics were held there. The Olympic Park makes a pleasant rest-stop on a long trip, with restrooms, walking paths, and rangers staffing it during the day.

You might be surprised to learn that, other than the Olympic Park and a few improvements after some massive rock slides a few years back, the route along the Ocoee is mostly unchanged since the 60's and yet it's still the best route from Chattanooga to Charleston. There are several places to stop and pull off now, though.

I greatly prefer it over taking the interstate to Atlanta, so I'll driving it from Chattanooga to Clemson in early June.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,176 times
Default 1960 route

Hooray and thanks!! Thought that might be the way I was thinking--but things have changed so much I wasnt completely sure. Someone else replied and ask if I were refering to the "tail of the Dragon". We recently drove the "tail" and that is why I posted the 1960----because the "tail" reminded me of my long ago trip from Chattanooga to Charleston. And yes, there is a portion when you start the downside that has shallow water with rocks---but knew it was not close to starting point in Chattanooga.
Thanks for the confirmation that my original route was the best heading to Charleston! I absolutely hate going thru Atlanta!

Old 05-30-2017, 04:13 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,203,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj salmeron View Post
Hooray and thanks!! Thought that might be the way I was thinking--but things have changed so much I wasnt completely sure. Someone else replied and ask if I were refering to the "tail of the Dragon". We recently drove the "tail" and that is why I posted the 1960----because the "tail" reminded me of my long ago trip from Chattanooga to Charleston. And yes, there is a portion when you start the downside that has shallow water with rocks---but knew it was not close to starting point in Chattanooga.
Thanks for the confirmation that my original route was the best heading to Charleston! I absolutely hate going thru Atlanta!
Oops... I was thinking of Charlotte. No, these days the full Interstate route to Charleston through Atlanta would be somewhat faster than through the mountains. About 6.5 hours vs. 7.5 hours.

That said, it's about the same distance in miles, would be much more pleasant (at least the first section), and one major Atlanta snarl would kill that hour... so maybe the mountain route would still be better. YMMV... literally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee