Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,931,864 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing a lot of information here regarding the northwestern area of Tennessee. My husband and I are considering retiring to this area from NJ. He is an avid hunter and we both enjoy fishing. We were originally considering Missouri, but Tennessee seems more tax friendly regarding pensions. We would be looking to purchase a minimum of 10 acres.

The area of NJ we currently live in is very rural (believe it or not). We are used to being a 20 minute drive from most services.

What areas would you recommend for us to look into?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
There just isn't a lot in Northwest TN. Union City and Martin are both pretty small and they aren't on the way to anywhere else so not a lot of people go up that way other than the students going to UT Martin. Paris is pretty and would make a nice retirement destination, but it too is kind of out of the way. I think that over the years there have only been a few posters that are from that area and I'm not sure they're active anymore.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Dyersburg is a bigger town in that area, but it's still pretty small. Reelfoot Lake is a well known sport lake for hunting and fishing.

The problem with most of the towns in NW Tennessee is that they lack good restaurants and shopping. Union City and Martin are both an hour from any towns with a decent number or restaurants. And you might have to drive multiple hours for specialized medical care. So if you are used to living 20 minutes from amenities, it could be a hard transition.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,912 times
This board seems to be very Nashville-to-Knoxville focused. That makes sense because that's where the vast majority of people are moving to. For us around Nashville and Knoxville that area seems incredibly remote (far northeast Tennessee is also very remote for us). I grew up in far western Kentucky and have family in South Fulton, TN, so that area is a little more "real" for me.

The are area from Dresden to Martin to Union City to Dyersburg uses Paducah, KY, or Jackson, TN, as their primary healthcare and shopping and restaurant destinations. Obviously, for BIG city amenities they will come to Nashville or Memphis. For specialized care you'll be traveling to one of those places in general and for anything needed from a mall or most big box stores that's where you'll head as well. It isn't the most convenient place to live, but property is inexpensive and there are large tracts available. The area has access to lakes with Reelfoot in the far west and Kentucky Lake further east.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:47 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm not seeing a lot of information here regarding the northwestern area of Tennessee. My husband and I are considering retiring to this area from NJ. He is an avid hunter and we both enjoy fishing. We were originally considering Missouri, but Tennessee seems more tax friendly regarding pensions. We would be looking to purchase a minimum of 10 acres.

The area of NJ we currently live in is very rural (believe it or not). We are used to being a 20 minute drive from most services.

What areas would you recommend for us to look into?

Thank you.
NW Tennessee sounds like a good fit. Are you sure that the Hall tax doesn't apply to your pensions? (I'm not an expert on how it works, but it is my understanding that it functions like an income tax on investment income. Not sure if it applies to pensions or not)

You can pretty well throw a dart at a map in NW TN and you will be able to find what you want. Reelfoot Lake is definitely a big fishing area. What type of terrain are you looking for? In general, the terrain gets hiller the farther east you go.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Thank you for your replies. The central and eastern parts of TN seem like they would be full of NJ/NY retirees, kind of like FL. I actually know a couple NJ people that retired to TN. One to the Gatlinburg area and the other to Murfreesboro. That's not what we are looking for. As I said, we were originally considering MO to be somewhat near St. Louis and NW TN would still be within reasonable driving distance to St. Louis.

I guess I'm not that surprised that there is not much info regarding this area of TN. If you go to the NJ forum, it's very rare that anyone discusses the NW corner of NJ, and that's where I live.

I will keep investigating.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Thank you for your replies. The central and eastern parts of TN seem like they would be full of NJ/NY retirees, kind of like FL. I actually know a couple NJ people that retired to TN. One to the Gatlinburg area and the other to Murfreesboro. That's not what we are looking for. As I said, we were originally considering MO to be somewhat near St. Louis and NW TN would still be within reasonable driving distance to St. Louis.

I guess I'm not that surprised that there is not much info regarding this area of TN. If you go to the NJ forum, it's very rare that anyone discusses the NW corner of NJ, and that's where I live.

I will keep investigating.
No, central and eastern Tennessee are not full of NJ/NY transplants other than the planned retirement areas around Crossville and Tellico Village. Otherwise, rural areas in places like Clay County, Jackson County, Grundy County, and others would give you lots of fishing and hunting, inexpensive land, very few transplants, and closer proximity to larger towns than what you'd get in NW TN.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 05-22-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
No, central and eastern Tennessee are not full of NJ/NY transplants other than the planned retirement areas around Crossville and Tellico Village. Otherwise, rural areas in places like Clay County, Jackson County, Grundy County, and others would give you lots of fishing and hunting, inexpensive land, very few transplants, and closer proximity to larger towns than what you'd get in NW TN.
THIS!

Also, stay away from Gatlinburg, Sevierville, etc. Lots of people go there on vacation and then decide to live there.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:45 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times
If you want to be reasonably close to St Louis, I wouldn't stray too far from Dyersburg, as I-155 will be your fastest route.

Check out Obion, Trenton, and Rutherford.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
If you want to be reasonably close to St Louis, I wouldn't stray too far from Dyersburg, as I-155 will be your fastest route.

Check out Obion, Trenton, and Rutherford.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee