Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
TN poor numbers get thrown off a bit by Memphis and a lot of rural poverty like much of the South. TN is pretty safe overall at least in Middle TN and most of East TN. I do agree on average TN residents tend to have poor eating habits and health care here is not the best but overall the quality of life is high here if you can find a high paying job because of the low taxes.
Quality health care can be found in Tennessee. Vanderbilt Medical Center is just one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 06:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
I don't pay attention to such statistics. They're a one-size-fits-all view of any place. You must visit. Seeing is my "statistics".

Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM

223 posts, read 315,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
I don't pay attention to such statistics. They're a one-size-fits-all view of any place. You must visit. Seeing is my "statistics".
There's a big part of me that totally agrees with that, but it's kind of hard to overlook the statistics, especially for things like murder and rape. I don't imagine those things are simply underreported elsewhere.

My wife and I have been looking toward income-tax free states. Namely Tennessee and New Hampshire. I really like the idea of living in Tennessee for a lot of reasons, but the crime data is kind of giving me pause. Since visiting both places will require time, money, driving and energy; I'm trying to really do my homework first.

Specifically we're looking at Knoxville, TN and Nashua, NH. When you compare the data for actual violent crimes like murder and rape, it makes you wonder if it's even a good idea to consider Knoxville....or maybe it's not a big deal, I dunno:

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

In Knoxville, you’re twice as likely to be murdered, about 50% more likely to be raped, about 4 times more likely to be robbed, and about 5 times more likely to be assaulted.

Also: "In 2010, only Washington, D.C., had a higher rate of gun violence.[1] Tennessee came out highest in the nation in the rate at which its residents are victims of aggravated assaults with a firearm.[1]"

It's kind of hard to imagine that such violent and serious crime isn't really a big deal or doesn't really apply.

Not to mention things like drug use. Of note, meth: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2176684/th...H-LABS-900.jpg

There are so many statistics and reports that come together to overwhelmingly suggest that Tennessee is generally much less safe than most other states. How is it possible that all of this data "isn't a big deal"?

That said, what are some really safe and nice areas of Knoxville that we should check out? And are there any areas of Knoxville that are really dangerous?

Last edited by Yac; 06-22-2017 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 09:23 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
There's a big part of me that totally agrees with that, but it's kind of hard to overlook the statistics, especially for things like murder and rape. I don't imagine those things are simply underreported elsewhere.

My wife and I have been looking toward income-tax free states. Namely Tennessee and New Hampshire. I really like the idea of living in Tennessee for a lot of reasons, but the crime data is kind of giving me pause. Since visiting both places will require time, money, driving and energy; I'm trying to really do my homework first.

Specifically we're looking at Knoxville, TN and Nashua, NH. When you compare the data for actual violent crimes like murder and rape, it makes you wonder if it's even a good idea to consider Knoxville....or maybe it's not a big deal, I dunno:

In Knoxville, you’re twice as likely to be murdered, about 50% more likely to be raped, about 4 times more likely to be robbed, and about 5 times more likely to be assaulted.

Also: "In 2010, only Washington, D.C., had a higher rate of gun violence.[1] Tennessee came out highest in the nation in the rate at which its residents are victims of aggravated assaults with a firearm.[1]"

It's kind of hard to imagine that such violent and serious crime isn't really a big deal or doesn't really apply.

Not to mention things like drug use. Of note, meth: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2176684/th...H-LABS-900.jpg

There are so many statistics and reports that come together to overwhelmingly suggest that Tennessee is generally much less safe than most other states. How is it possible that all of this data "isn't a big deal"?

That said, what are some really safe and nice areas of Knoxville that we should check out? And are there any areas of Knoxville that are really dangerous?
Believe what you want but statistics are often skewed depending on the manner in which they are derived. Just a suggestion but try reading the local newspapers (most are on-line) to get a real feel for the amount and types of crime in a particular area. There is usually a section that lists arrests and court dockets.

Last edited by Yac; 06-22-2017 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Do you think I should warn this guy when I'm visiting Franklin? It's the most upscale town in the state.
Are you fat, sick, a dullard or do ya stink?
Maybe the upscale communities should put out public service announcements when a certain segment comes a calling.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Sometimes it's not a matter of whether a state to potentially is different according to safety/cleanliness/healthiness statistics. Comparing any two states, you could make the case that they are even essentially the same in those categories. But it still wouldn't be a smart change. From what I've seen, culture and region play a huge role, and shouldn't be overlooked. A person might move from State A to State B, and find no major difference in health/income/safety, but still not like their new home. When you are very different in thought and culture and "the way of doing things" from most or everyone in your new location, it can suck and feel like you're an alien or in exile.

So, TN might not make sense for people from certain areas/states. The same in reverse is obviously true too, where natives from TN wouldn't feel right in other places/states. And these factors (culture, etc.) are not covered in the usual statistics sets (crime, health, income, age, cost of homes, driving time to work, etc.) So, it's unwise to make decisions based solely on numbers and statistics.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-09-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
I had been watching real estate ads for homes in Knoxville for a few years. One thing I noticed is that so many homes have security signs out front ... ADT. I was a bit surprised by this. These homes ranged in price from low to mid $100,000.

Last edited by smpliving; 06-09-2017 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-10-2017, 08:10 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post

I'd look at the background for some of those crimes as well. I the small TN community I live in, there was a murder, actually two that I know of. One was a live in girl/friend and boy friend with issues where the teacher girl friend shot the boy friend, and the other was a husband and wife, where the wife was buried in the woods....again, it's the friends and family issue.

There was a rape and kidnapping---overnight guests kidnapped the adult female in the home, took her and raped her. Friends and family issue.

I would not be concerned with the friends and family violent crimes. I would look at crimes against unknown people, which, at least in my community seems lower...except for theft, and there are thieves here...Walmart has lots, and the neighborhoods get hit occasionally too.

I's also take a look at the population, for example, if there is a college or lots of colleges, then the reported rapes will be higher than other areas.

Statistics are just some information, look at the whole picture to understand what the numbers mean.

And TN may not be right for you.

Last edited by Yac; 06-22-2017 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
[quote=Green Guy;48445304]

Specifically we're looking at Knoxville, TN and Nashua, NH.

Have you considered the difference in weather in these 2 states. If you don't like a lot of snow in winter, Knoxville would be a better choice as it snows much less in Knoxville than it does in Nashua.

I suggest you visit Knoxville before making a decision. Drive around the city, visit stores, restaurants, churches, parks, attend events, and talk to as many people as possible. I know that Knoxville has some very nice areas/neighborhoods as my cousin used to live there. Her neighborhood was very nice and was safe. She left Knoxville to be closer to her son. Good luck in finding that special place.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:45 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
I lived in TN for a time and traveled extensively through it staying in the various of regions of it for extended time periods.

There are cities that are crime-ridden such as Memphis; it's pretty much the same as D.C. or Detroit. I lived around the Jackson, TN area and the crime rate was surprisingly high for a smaller city. Nashville is a pretty large city that has a much lower crime rate than average and I enjoyed visiting there as often as I could.

Overall Tennessee is not expensive to live in. Housing costs in much of the state are low outside of the upscale areas around Nashville and Memphis. There are no state payroll taxes but keep in mind that the state has a 9% sales tax and everything--including food--is taxed.

Good quality healthcare is available around some of the major cities but less so around the rural areas.

If you are from up north the weather in the western and central part of the state is tolerable for about 5 months out of the year--winter and the one month each of Fall and Spring. The rest of the year, you are going to find out what HOT really is. Forget that "hot" that those of us up north complain about when it's a mere 85 degrees--we are talking upper 90s hot. And not just one or two days of this...it goes on, and on, and on all season long. Some people like the heat or don't mind it. Just wanted to be fair and warn you, lol.

The eastern part of the state gets hot, too but in the higher elevations it is more moderated.

The best thing to do is further research the various areas that you are interested in and arrange to visit them. I can tell you about it all day but we are all different and you might enjoy the things that I found annoying or vice versa.

If the choice came down between TN vs. VT or NH? I'm going to NH or VT but then again I'm a hardcore yankee

Hope that you find the right place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee