Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM

70 posts, read 79,536 times

Advertisements

After living here for only 16 months or so, I have several mounds of fire ants in my yard. I finally gave over my pest control to a professional company bc 4 acres is a bit much for me all around. The guys that came out said they've never seen fire ants in TN until now.

Do you live in TN and have FA's? I was a snowbird prior to this. I guess it's possible I brought some with me, but I'm hardly the first Floridian to move here, esp on the Plateau... Someone plz tell me I'm not the only one w/ them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
I have not seen them on my lot, but if you have them on your lot, it is only a matter of time before I have them also.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
I have been here 14 years --- on 24 acres---- the fire ants were here ahead of us and they are still here. I don't know where your pest control folks are from but they've never been to my county if they haven't seen fire ants.

If your pest control people don't kill the queen who is protected by a large army and will move her to safety at a moment's notice, they won't make much headway.

They are an on-going battle --- if I drop the mower deck on the mounds that have invaded the personal space of my horses, the ants will pack up and move somewhere else, which is usually fine by me ---- unless they decide to re-establish close to the house or barn, then out comes the mower again

Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I have been here 14 years --- on 24 acres---- the fire ants were here ahead of us and they are still here. I don't know where your pest control folks are from but they've never been to my county if they haven't seen fire ants.

If your pest control people don't kill the queen who is protected by a large army and will move her to safety at a moment's notice, they won't make much headway.

They are an on-going battle --- if I drop the mower deck on the mounds that have invaded the personal space of my horses, the ants will pack up and move somewhere else, which is usually fine by me ---- unless they decide to re-establish close to the house or barn, then out comes the mower again
What county are you in.
I've been in Putnam/Cumberland for 40 years and have not encountered fire ants.
I have however noticed sprays for fire ants in the stores.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:43 PM

121 posts, read 162,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What county are you in.
I've been in Putnam/Cumberland for 40 years and have not encountered fire ants.
I have however noticed sprays for fire ants in the stores.
Same here. Been in Cumberland County for some time and never have I seen any. I know what a fire ant looks like too having spent a number of years living in Florida.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:28 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Bedford County.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Does anyone have free-ranging chickens? I used my neighbors chickens on several mounds. Call the chickens over, throw some scratch on the hills and then kick it. Chicken all you can eat buffet.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:15 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
Everywhere I lived had red ants. They never really bothered me much compared to other insects like the flying ants, yellow-jackets or the various spiders species. Then there are the bigger critters that are more of an issue like snakes, possums, moles and other various rodents.

I had a hognose snake visit my basement the other day.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I hate red ants. They've been slowly making their way through Tennessee. In East Tenn., they are as far north as Oak Ridge, last I heard.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
They are evil creatures, and slowly spreading their wrath north. I hate to hear you're getting them in TN. In Texas they are an absolute hazard and pain to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: