Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:58 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-Torak View Post
Did I mention Good Schools !! Class size initative has reduced the teacher/ student ratio quite a bit !

Now to the last question !

Housing is readily available in E Tenn and prices are reasonable.
You can buy in any price range you'd like. It's more expensive around the
big cities / tourist traps. ( Can you imagine that ! )
And living expenses are similar to Florida

Very nice place to live , just not as much to see / do as florida

IMHO !!
The living expenses are NOT the same as Florida. Do you pay for your own auto insurance? In S Florida it will be 3-4k with no accidents. In TN it is 300.00 per year.

TN is not in the same category as Florida- you are comparing apples and oranges with no facts.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
The living expenses are NOT the same as Florida. Do you pay for your own auto insurance? In S Florida it will be 3-4k with no accidents. In TN it is 300.00 per year.

TN is not in the same category as Florida- you are comparing apples and oranges with no facts.

No facts ! RIIGGHT !!

Food and Food Ingredients costs the same if not more in TN
Did you forget they're TAXED.

Average Sales tax in TN is slightly over 9 % compared to a 7% average.
( that can add quite a bit to many purchases )
Gas, Water, Electric, Phone, Cable, Internet, Cellular Service, cost are nearly identical.
New Vehicles are not cheaper when equally equipped .
Property taxes in the Bigger Cites have roughly the same mil rate.
**Bigger the city the more it costs **
Outside city limits/agricultuiral /rural areas are naturally a different stories.

3 to 4 k for Insurance !! http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/mrmxylplk/faint.gif (broken link)

Where in the world did you get that insurance quote from ??
Who ever it was they were trying to Stick It To You !!
I keep full coverage and 500k liability each on a 2005 Yukon and a
2002 Mustang GT it only costs around $2200 per year.
(a State Farm office in Knoxville quoted much higher )

YES ! ,You can get coverage in Florida for around $300 (PIP & 10/20 Liability)
I have a home and property to protect. Have you seen some of the ridiculous amounts
juries are awarding people in frivilous lawsuits these days.
Also do keep in mind Insurance as a whole in Florida. (Homeowners and Auto)
is based in part on the individuals credit rating. Bad Credit = Bad Risk
Bad Risk = Higher Prices

Don't Get it wrong I am not bad mouthing Tennesse,Quite the opposite.
If you read my post as being that, I APOLOGIZE as that is
not my intent.
My family and I love our home in Kingston. (well technicaly Mid-Town but )
It is a wonderful area, 30 to 45 minutes from Knoxville, close to Gatlinburg
Pigeon Forge etc and easy access to Nashville.
And locally Fort Southwest Point is a particular favorite.
Next year we plan to sell our home in Tampa and make Tennessee our permanent home..

I have checked my facts ! And Yes there are somethings that are cheaper in Tennessee
and I plan to enjoy every single one of them !!

And besides the Apples from Washington are better anyway
so there !!

Kal-Torak

Last edited by Kal-Torak; 12-14-2006 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 PM

7 posts, read 14,791 times
And did I mention that Hurricances, Almost NEVER hit Tennessee
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/mrmxylplk/4_1_113.gif (broken link) http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/mrmxylplk/dance.gif (broken link)

Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,736 times
From all that I have researched, the cost of living is less in TN than in FL. And according to Salary.com, you get paid more.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Some guy is quoting KalTorak on the Florida board. I set that straight:

"Whoever posted that info about Florida vs. Tennessee is lying through their teeth.

Same vehicles that cost us $1,600 in Fort Myers, FL, cost us $680 in Knoxville. Same exact coverage, no changes in drivers or circumstances, except that we moved!

Groceries the same? WHAT? You have got to be kidding me!!!!! An hour ago I bought NY strip steaks for 4.99 a pound. All food is MUCH cheaper. The higher tax does NOT even it out.

Utlilities? We have the TVA. Tennessee Valley Authority. See, the people of Tennessee actually plan ahead. They've been making there own electricity for decades through the use of the rivers, steam and nuclear power. Google TVA to see what I am talking about.

Our electric bill every month in the summer? About $60 a month, and that was with the electricity running 24-7. We also rent a MUCH bigger place.

Our water/sewer bill runs about $36 a month.

Gas is MUCH cheaper here than in Fort Myers."

Old 12-16-2006, 04:37 PM

83 posts, read 326,216 times
Default Tennessee or FL?

Wow, I am trying to make a move too. I am searching for answers too. I live in Miami Florida, with my husband and 3 kids, and we all want to leave. Lakeland is a very nice area. About an 1 or 2 drive form here. Florida is expensive, and to buy a home at this time if you do not have at least $200,000 cash down payment, your looking at a $5,000 mortgage on a 4 to 5 bedroom home in a nice area. The Insurance premiums are unaffordable. Taxes are sky high. Your looking at $17,000 in taxes yearly in a nice area like Weston or Lakeland if not more. The schools that my kids go to are A+, and lakeland has good schools too. I have visited Tennessee and I am leaving the 29 of Decemeber for vacation. I would love to move to NC, maybe Lake Norman area. I think Tennessee is a safer place to raise children. I wish I had the opportunity when my kids were babies. However, Lakeland is different from Miami. I have some relatives in Lakeland, they are rich and have no money problems, they can survive here. Florida is a millionairs paradise -and it is no lie. Good Luck in your choice.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Default Tenn VS FL.

Hmmmm, can we say no brainer? I've lived in FL my whole life & I'm 38 yrs. old. Years ago, this was the best place on earth. In the last 3-5 yrs. Fl. has changed drastically! For starters, if you don't speak Spanish or Creole, forget it! Unfortunately, the Senator from Colorado was correct calling this place a
3rd world country.
The taxes & property insurance has sky-rocketed. the average property insurance for a$500,000 home is $5000. & average tax rate is 2% of the purchased price. A $500,000 home 2,000 sq. ft. in FL. is equivalant to a $200,000 home with 3000 sq ft. in TN. It's true that our salaries are more however, your money goes further in TN. When I retire, I'm moving to where people have family values & respect for others. I hope TN, will still be that way in 7 yrs. Living in So. FL. is comparable to the hood. The crime rate has increased drastically. Hopefully you will do the math & pick the best place for your family. Good luck!

PS. Invest in a bullet-proof vest & a gun for protection if you choose FL.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Actually, I find the pay here to be higher. It's tough getting work. First of all, I don't think there is a lot of hiring going on anywhere. But once you do, you will be better off.

Bear in mind, I lived in Fort Myers, which had NO industry, strictly service jobs.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 PM

9 posts, read 28,629 times
I want to leave South Florida as soon as my kids are in college so I have no loyalty.

OJ's kids went to a very exclusive private school (he lives 2 miles from me).

Lakeland is COMPLETELY different from South Florida. We;re a whole different country down here.

My impression from driving through Lakeland, often, is that it's still mostly quiet retired, military and people who do not want to be near a big city.

I'm sure within several years expansion and new developments will take over but I can't see choosing nowhere Florida over TN where you have property, seasons and close to mountains.

BTW, my kids are not in the same school that OJ's were.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 28,629 times
auto insurance $2000 for one car, additional $1600 to add my teenage son.
ground beef is $4.99 a pound.
hurricane ins just went up to over $8K
it takes a long boring drive to get anywhere, lakeland is a little closer to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee