Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,277,857 times

Advertisements

LauraC, we do hear about those things, that story ran for quite some time on the local news about that school and the paper clips, every now and again, we hear about it still. The news does have many "good news" "good deeds" "school activity" "pets that need homes" etc. stories just about everyday on just about every local channel. I love that fact. That the news here is not just the bad and the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 02:32 PM

37,769 posts, read 40,907,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
LauraC, we do hear about those things, that story ran for quite some time on the local news about that school and the paper clips, every now and again, we hear about it still. The news does have many "good news" "good deeds" "school activity" "pets that need homes" etc. stories just about everyday on just about every local channel. I love that fact. That the news here is not just the bad and the weather.
I know. But north of the state I think some people still have their head in Neil Young's Southern Man mindset or as another person said, there are some people who are still living with The Dukes of Hazzard when they think of the South.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,088,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
get confused when I read this statement. Can anyone explain where Tennessee (and other states) can be found in the bible? Am I missing something in the context?

I have just found this site, and read through it. I was a little surprised that the New Madrid Fault was of so little mention. It is a biblical fault line running under Tennessee, and other states.

I appreciate any help with this. It will be part of my "learn something new every day" plan.

Thanks,

Tek

I've never read anything about Tennessee (or the USA) in the Bible - and I have read it cover to cover. Perhaps the author of the other post has read someone else's interpretation of something in the Bible.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,163,143 times
We hear about the paperclip story a lot. Which is great. And thanks to LauraC for telling the folks that don't live here about it.

Just so y'all know, I was a newspaper reporter up north for about ten years. I was a "features" writer, which means I did "happy" or "fluff" stories. I still got stuck writing stories about landfills and the like, but I lived for stories where I could write about an elderly couple taking care of injured wildlife in their backyard, for example.

I get angry when people say that there is only bad news. I made a living off good news. Of course, it was not much of a living, but I was happy!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
Well I've got the biblical comment figured out. I should have bugged my wife first.

She says the earthquake was of biblical proportions, which makes sense. I can't believe I didn't pick up on that.

Some days...

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 PM

59 posts, read 163,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Factoids

Bristol, Tennessee is closer to Canada than it is to Memphis, Tennessee. Memphis is closer to the Gulf of Mexico than it is to Bristol.

That's crazy to think about.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_native View Post

That's crazy to think about.

I believe the information in tourist books is merely to illustrate the long width of the state of Tennessee. It's not driving distance. It's map point to map point. Not sure what the closest Canadian town to Bristol would be but Mapquest says driving distance from Bristol to Memphis is 503.5 miles..

Old 12-29-2006, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 36,299 times
I am looking to move to TN and love your posts. Please keep um coming. I have gotten more info from you than I have been able to find on the internet.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Yet Some More Factoids

More factoids:

Of the Top 10 killer tornadoes (114 or more deaths) in US history, none were in Tennessee.

There are 19,433 bridges on public roads in the State of Tennessee. There are 3 covered bridges: Elizabethton Bridge in Carter County, Harrisburg Bridge in Sevier County, Parks Covered Bridge in Obion County.

The hottest temperature on record in Tennessee is 113 degrees F. in Perryville. The lowest recorded in Tennessee is 32 degrees below zero at Mountain City.

Of all of the US states, Tennessee ranks last in the number of binge drinkers (5 or more drinks on one occasion - source: Center for Disease Control and the Department of Public Health - 2004) (Note: Wisconsin was Number 1)

Knoxville has a law on its books that says you are not permitted to electrify garbage cans so that anyone coming in contact with them will receive an electric shock. Knoxville also has a law on the books that says that it's unlawful to take unrequested photos of pedestrians on the street or in public places.

On the 33,725 acres of land of the government owned Oak Ridge Reservation (Oak Ridge National Lab, Security Complex and East Tennessee Technology Park), which includes 500 acres of wetland, there are more than 1000 plant species, 60 reptile and amphibian species, 63 fish species, 152 bird species and about 40 mammal species. 12,000 Employees work there. Wildflower and birdwatching eco-walks are conducted in April and May, pre-registration required.

There are 70 animals and 20 plants on the endangered species list in Tennessee.

There are 16 species of bats in Tennessee. (Note: There are no vampire bats in the US.)

Using Class A-sport fishing methods here are some Tennessee State records: Smallmouth Bass - 11lbs 15oz (Dale Hollow Reservoir), Laregemouth Bass - 14lbs 8oz (Sugar Creek in Lawrence County), Striped Bass (Rockfish) - 65lbs 6oz (Cordell Hull Reservoir), Brown Trout - 28lbs 12oz (Clinch River), Rainbow Trout - 16lbs 15oz (Ft Patrick Henry Reservoir), Walleye - 25lbs (Old Hickory Reservoir), Northern Pike - 24lbs 8oz (South Holston Reservoir), Muskie - 42lbs 8 oz (Norris Reservoir).

The Duck River is the longest river completely in Tennessee.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:03 PM

We've had the Food Festivals. We've had the Music Festivals. Here are some Arts and Crafts Festivals throughout TN:

Townsend: Autumn Leaves Arts & Crafts Festival (September)

Morristown: Mountain Makin's Festival (October)

Greeneville: Iris Arts & Crafts Festival (May)

Elizabethton: Christmas Crafts Show (November)

Gatlinburg: Craftsmen's Fairs (July and October)

Fort Louden: 18th Century Trade Fair (September)

Woodbury: White Oak Country Crafts Fair (August)

Rugby: Spring Music and Crafts Festival (May)

Norris: Tennessee Homecoming (Note: this one is demonstrations of old time Appalachian crafts) (October)

Nashville: Tennessee Association of Craft Artists Fall Crafts Fair (September)

Nashville: Tennessee Crafts Fair (May)

Winchester: Arts & Crafts Fair (September)

Beersheeba Springs: Beersheeba Springs Arts and Crafts Festival (August)

Bell Buckle: Webb School Arts and Crafts Festival (800 exhibitors) (October)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee