Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:30 PM

12 posts, read 9,956 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Tennessee next month. It’s a quick trip arriving in Memphis Thursday morning then driving across the state by way of Nashville, Knoxville, Kingsport, and ending in Chattanooga no later than Saturday morning (I have a flight to catch in Atlanta GA Saturday afternoon). My wife and I are thinking about moving to the eastern part of the state because of the mountains but I also want to see west and middle TN first.

With only two full days I may skirt around Nashville proper as we have no desire to live in a large city. And since my goals is to get a feel for the people and communities I plan to visit small town grocery stores, hardware stores, local diners and such as much as I can. Figuring on 8-10 hours of driving and 4 hours of feet on the ground each day it seems like a reasonable plan for a first impression of TN. Then if its positive we can both return to visit some more specific communities once the summer weather kicks in.

I will have my route well planned before I go and will have researched the areas I plan to visit. But I would value any suggestions about this trip from you folks that know the area. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh man View Post
I will be visiting Tennessee next month. It’s a quick trip arriving in Memphis Thursday morning then driving across the state by way of Nashville, Knoxville, Kingsport, and ending in Chattanooga no later than Saturday morning (I have a flight to catch in Atlanta GA Saturday afternoon). My wife and I are thinking about moving to the eastern part of the state because of the mountains but I also want to see west and middle TN first.

With only two full days I may skirt around Nashville proper as we have no desire to live in a large city. And since my goals is to get a feel for the people and communities I plan to visit small town grocery stores, hardware stores, local diners and such as much as I can. Figuring on 8-10 hours of driving and 4 hours of feet on the ground each day it seems like a reasonable plan for a first impression of TN. Then if its positive we can both return to visit some more specific communities once the summer weather kicks in.

I will have my route well planned before I go and will have researched the areas I plan to visit. But I would value any suggestions about this trip from you folks that know the area. Thanks.

Since you'll be on I-40 and want to visit small town grocery stores, check out Spring Street Supermarket in Cookeville, opened over 50 years ago in downtown Cookeville and is the oldest supermarket between Nashville and Knoxville:
Home

Here's a great local diner in Cookeville:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Tennessee.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-28-2017, 08:00 AM

186 posts, read 283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh man View Post

When you head down from Knoxville toward Chattanooga, use US Route 11 (Lee Hwy) instead of I-75. You will drive through "downtown" areas of Lenoir City, Loudon, Sweetwater, Athens, etc. and it's a scenic ride as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:10 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
Honestly, if East Tennessee is your target destination, I don't think you are giving yourself enough time this trip. Memphis to Kingsport, skirting Nashville, with 4 hours feet on ground, could be well after dark you arrive in Kingsport.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 9,956 times
With two days I'm counting on the first night being spent in Knoxville. Then having all day Friday to explore the east and spend the night down in Chattanooga. But you are correct, it is a short time. Especially as I also need to stop by some of the HVAC supply houses as well (my industry).

Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Since you will be backtracking to get to Chattanooga I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to spend the night in Kingsport. It would knock about 1.5-2 hours from your drive time on Saturday. You could do the drive to Kingsport after dark and not miss anything since you'd see the same scenery on the way back, just coming from the other direction. Friday for Cookeville/Knoxville and more time on Saturday for Kingsport/Chattanooga. Just a thought.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:37 PM

361 posts, read 861,777 times
Marsh Man,

Not sure if this will help but my wife and I spent several years looking into semi retiring in TN, between Chattanooga and Knoxville; we originally felt the west Knoxville area was a great fit. We ended up moving to Cleveland TN two years ago and do not regret the move however we find ourselves planing to move to the west Knoxville/Lenoir City area with in the next couple of years.

Both Chattanooga and Knoxville have a lot to offer so take your time looking but here are three of the things that made Knoxville appeal to us, access to the river & Lake Tellico, close to the mountains and take a look at everything along Kingston Pike (AKA Hwy 11) from Lenoir City to downtown Knoxville (also Old City). This may be more than three things but I was trying to be brief. Have fun exploring!

Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
It's not enough time and you'll make yourself crazy.

If nothing else, start in Cookeville and make your way to Knoxville, etc.

If we knew what you were looking for, frankly, we could do a better job of directing you to the best places to visit. More details, please!

Old 12-29-2017, 09:14 AM

367 posts, read 585,186 times
Skip Memphis and West Tennessee all together. Fly into Nashville instead.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:55 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Fly into Nashville (BNA) and head east on I-40. Spend time in Cookeville, Crossville, Knoxville. Head north up I-81 to explore the "Tri Cities" (Johnson City is your best bet there). Spend Thursday night. Friday head south via I-81 and I-75 to to Chattanooga. Stop to visit Athens and Cleveland along the way. Spend night in Chattanooga. Next day head to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee