U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,468,409 times
I cannot see why it is considered infringing on a parent's rights if we insist that public places be smoke-free environments, enforce seat belt laws, some states and/or cities have "no cell phones while driving" laws, and under age drinking or driving laws. God forbid, we even had speed limit laws.

If a parent has no concern for not only their own health, but that of their child, I think it is reasonable to consider a "no smoking in the car with children" law. Not only for health reasons, but drivers are often distracted while digging around for another butt.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,685,847 times
"Ehh what's another government intrusion? After all, it's for the good of the children!"

Those of us who feel this way need to get used to saying this, over and over. Because if we don't stop it somewhere, soon, it will not stop, ever.

Just because the govt has already intruded and we've gotten used to it, doesn't mean it's right.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,036,024 times
Then again, they have put into place the fact that it is illegal to drink and drive but has that law really changed anything except the increase of fine income received by the state/county the incident happens in? People are still getting killed by drunk drivers and look how many repeat offenders there are. Stupid people will always be stupid people. I love the way Bill Engval says it "You can't fix stupid".
Look how prohibition turned out? But then again, hey, we got NASCAR out of that one! LOL!
(ya gotta understand that I live less than 10 miles from the Bristol Motor Speedway, it is a requirement for me to plug NASCAR to live here hehehehehehehe)

Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM

12,503 posts, read 17,930,327 times
Does anyone know if this has been addressed this week or when it will be (by our Legislators)?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,605,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I'll take the parents rights to raise their kids as they see fit! If you think that the government will stop at just this one issue--then you are either very naive or very ignorant of past government intrusions into peoples lives!!!
So are you actively protesting the current seat belt laws in effect? How about smoking in public places?

I guess we should just let everyone do as they please.....no laws, no prisons, child molesters can run free??????

What's the difference between the current laws in place and new ones that state's institute?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM

Exactly the mentality I mentioned earlier:

"What's one more law?"

"And one more?"

"And one more?"

We'll just keep getting "used to them" and suddenly nobody is responsible for doing the right thing anymore.

Nobody chooses the correct path, because it is told to them by the government.

Suddenly we wake up and wonder, "Hey, what happened??!"

It's just one more government intrusion, after all we got used to the seat belts and the public smoking laws, right?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I cannot see why it is considered infringing on a parent's rights if we insist that public places be smoke-free environments, enforce seat belt laws, some states and/or cities have "no cell phones while driving" laws, and under age drinking or driving laws. God forbid, we even had speed limit laws.

If a parent has no concern for not only their own health, but that of their child, I think it is reasonable to consider a "no smoking in the car with children" law. Not only for health reasons, but drivers are often distracted while digging around for another butt.
I agree......my mother once told me a story about the day that she brought me home from the hospital as a newborn. My aunt was smoking next to my car seat and dropped the red hot ashes of a cigarette on my head. She had to take me back to the hospital and treat me for the burn. Parents have no business smoking around their children. What if it went in my eye or caught the car seat on fire? People just don't think about what they are doing!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Exactly the mentality I mentioned earlier:

"What's one more law?"

"And one more?"

"And one more?"

We'll just keep getting "used to them" and suddenly nobody is responsible for doing the right thing anymore.

Nobody chooses the correct path, because it is told to them by the government.

Suddenly we wake up and wonder, "Hey, what happened??!"

It's just one more government intrusion, after all we got used to the seat belts and the public smoking laws, right?
People say they don't want more laws but they are usually the first to complain that someone didn't get what they deserved. Laws are meant to keep people from going hog wild and killing everybody else. Sodom and Gomorrah comes to mind about right now. Even God has laws for us to live by. The Ten Commandments right a bell?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Sodom and Gomorrah? lol Now who's exaggerating?

We are all individually responsible for following the Ten Commandments.

Enforcement comes after the fact.

God doesn't poke his head into our lives to make sure we're following the rules.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM

4,733 posts, read 6,468,409 times
I think one important point was made by several people and that is the fact that we have many laws concerning drinking and driving (from mbmouse) and seat belts and car seat laws, even laws that govern the cutting of a neighbor's tree limb hanging into our own yards, but we cannot legislate morality. (Not my words, but I wish that they were. I think a politician or great thinker, like the man behind the curtain, said this.)

We could have millions of laws, but unless we are driven by just one - the Golden Rule, whether you are a believer or not - no number of laws will serve us well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee