Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I can not stand plain stupid people either!Lets gather all the plain stupid people of this world and put them before the firing squad and shoot them!
Better yet how about we gather those same plain stupid people and if they are of child bearing age, lets do mass sterilaztion of them all! That way we can control who has kids and stop the generations perpetuating the same plain stupid thinking. Once we rid the world of plain stupid people, which group should we target next? Who is going to define what and who are plain stupid people and who makes the executive decisions on doing what we need to do???
Once the world is rid of plain stupid people, will anyone be able to tell who is intelligent at some future point? After all if we get rid of the undesirable people of the world, then what basis do we have to compare? Hengy Mama in case I need to clarify this point, my post is completely sarcastic.
Pam

Hmmm a few different adjectives and verbs here and there and you have a very well written speech from Hitler!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM

19 posts, read 59,704 times
I totally agree with lrm777 on all posts!

I grew up in a smoke-filled home but it hasn't hurt me yet. I hated it and I would never do that to my own children. However, since there is no proof that it is going to kill a kid or an adult who grows up around it, then there is no reason to use it as an excuse to police the private lives of families.

"They" are just using it as an excuse to start the process of minimizing our freedom. Next, it will be illegal to go to McDonald's with our kids 3x a week. (Now, that one I might sign up for with all the blubber-bellied kids these days); but,
What if we are moving, and it is the only time all year we go to McDonald's but we have to go EVERY NIGHT for TWO WEEKS while we unpack our kitchen...we'd lose our kids to...oh, yeah, to people who want them for the money.
And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to discover the death-sentence the foster care system is....how many thousands of kids have been "lost" never to be found?

And don't forget, Dana Reeves died of lung cancer at a younger age than I am now, and she was not a smoker, nor were her parents.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 AM

33 posts, read 118,189 times
Many more children die in car accidents than die of second hand smoke. If you REALLY want to save kids lives, outlaw driving with kids in the car period.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 AM

65 posts, read 220,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
And next they will tell you that you cant spank your kids. Or you have to send your kids to a certain school. Or you cant drive over 55 mph with your kids in the car because its dangerous. Keep giving away your parental rights and see how hard it will be to get them back!
yes they do not spank in schools in chattanooga
schools but they do in counties north of their. Our Republican county mayor just secured a ten thousand dollar grant for tobacco danger education.
Its probably going to be used to educate the children of smokers to tell their parents that they will be arrested for child endangerment if they smoke inside a car or house with them in it and the children themselves will be taken into protective custody.
I think they should worry more about spending some money on teaching people the dangers of burning plastic trash, or hand washing with soap and hot water or not to go downtown after after they spread human waste treatment fertilizer (it smells worse than pig manure) on the surrounding farm fields for feed crops or go outside when they spray with pesticides or artificial fertilizers or not to leave dead dog carcasses on the side of the road till they cause blow flys to swarm your house or don't drink the shallow wells or leave your batch of puppies on the side of the road cause you can find money for your beer but not any for the spay job. or not to swim in the river where an old truck fell of the mountain and into it and is still leaking gas oil antifreeze. or heck explain how dangerous it is to join the service even in peace time for lack of any goverment standard of workplace safety cause they are exempt from OSHA requirments . remember when the kids in vocational school shop class all smoked in the smoking lounge on school grounds inside cause heck they were going to die early anyhow from the welding, grinding, cleanig solevants,motor oil and fuel inhalation in the service bays smoke from fire fighting, arsinec in treated lumber ac freon, flux fumes, heck if smoking killed them first then they could not sue the company they worked for . go on- and now you can't nueter hogs with your pen knife without anesthesia . what about banding them so they fall off. people in the cities making laws for a whole diffrent world out here in the country is like us country folks bringing chickens and cows to the big city, they made laws so you could not . we should keep not enforcing those city laws that do not work here in the country .

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
A few points:

My grandmother was a three-pack-a-day smoker. She died peacefully in her sleep at the age of 88. No cancer or heart disease.

That same grandmother kept my mother in a small room with her when she was a baby and smoked like a chimney. My mother is a hearty, healthy 72-year-old.

I was a foster child. You don't ever want to do that to a child. Trust me. Most of the foster parents that I encountered shouldn't have been allowed to keep pets, let alone be paid by the state to keep children.

The less government intervention in you lives, the better off you will be. The federal government can barely run itself, let alone human beings.

Oh, and I'm a dreaded, evil liberal.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 AM

65 posts, read 220,422 times
I had a friend put in foster care for the first time at the age of sixteen. His mother broke probation and went to jail had no family to stay with went to a lady's house who was so obese she was bed ridden. She had two other foster kids living there. She stayed in her room and they cooked for her and cleaned the house. In return they did what they wanted when they wanted as long as one of them was there to take care of her the others could go out and party all night or bring whoever they wanted over to party their. She would stay in the bedroom and not care as long as her demands for food were met and the house was clean. At least his mother the "known drunk" did not allow any of that. So when he went back home he fought with her and threatened to tell on his mom for drinking again so she let him do what he wanted.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
You have no idea how many homes were exactly like that or much, much worse.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
A few points:

My grandmother was a three-pack-a-day smoker. She died peacefully in her sleep at the age of 88. No cancer or heart disease.
Your grandmothers longevity proves nothing. Not everyone succumbs to tobacco related illnesses, but many, many long term smokers die young because of it.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Times have changed. I remember the story mom told (a smoker for over 50 yrs. died at age 74 from a mass on her lung) about my bro. birth. He came really fast, she was in the labor room and had just taken a drag off her cigg when he crowned and they had to rush her into delivery. Can you imagine smoking in the labor room.

I can remember when newborns were brought home and all the ladies came to see the new arivial with ciggs hanging from their mouths and a cloud of smoke lingering throught the room.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
I am an ex-smoker..the worse kind of critic. I do not allow smoking in my home, nor do I allow it around my grandson. One of the cities here in Maine has a "no smoking with child in car" law in effect. I am not sure how its going as its not close by to be in the know.
None of us want anyone interfering in our lives, Unfortunately, it happens every day. I do not have the answer, not sure anyone does.
Anyhow, I know since I quit smoking, I have had one cold and no bronchitis at all. When I smoked, I was sick all the time. Just wish I had quit a bit sooner, might of avoided ending up with asthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee