Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:29 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times

Advertisements

Next month, I am driving from New York City to Dallas. I am looking for suggestions as to where to stop for the night about midway there. I’m guessing somewhere between Memphis and Nashville. Towns? Hotels? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 08:46 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
Are you taking Interstate 81 and Interstate 40?

Knoxville is closer to halfway, but overnight in Nashville or further west will allow for a more relaxed drive your second day.

The quality and selection of hotels will generally improve with the larger a city gets. However if you’re on a budget, I’ve found that mom and pop motels are actually higher quality in more rural areas.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Yes, I am taking 81 and 40. I’d rather go further (towards Nashville) the first day and have that more leisurely drive on day two.

I’m not into mom and pop hotels. I’d rather stay in a Marriott or Hilton chain hotel that’s accessible to the highway.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
I should also add that the hotel chains are pretty consistent and reliable in their comfort, amenities, and service; it shouldn’t matter where the Hampton or Holiday Inn you stay at then.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
it shouldn’t matter where the Hampton or Holiday Inn you stay at then.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. S/he probably would like to know hotels that have easy on/off accessibility to the highway and a safe neighborhood within walking or short driving distance to some decent places to eat. Having wound up up in hotels where the n'hoods (and sometimes the hotel itself) have deteriorated, are in isolated business parks, or require convoluted navigation of access roads or side roads, I can say it definitely matters.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that. S/he probably would like to know hotels that have easy on/off accessibility to the highway and a safe neighborhood within walking or short driving distance to some decent places to eat. Having wound up up in hotels where the n'hoods (and sometimes the hotel itself) have deteriorated, are in isolated business parks, or require convoluted navigation of access roads or side roads, I can say it definitely matters.
I’m familiar with the chains, that’s why I look to them. On/off highway ease is a plus.

I am looking for exactly what Dubble is saying (thanks!). I’m a big guy, but I don’t want to have to fight my way through a bad neighborhood, or worry as to whether my car will still be there in the morning when I’m looking to leave.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:12 AM

How is Mt. Juliet in terms of crime?

Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
How is Mt. Juliet in terms of crime?
Mt Juliet is fine. There are several nice hotels right off Exit 226.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:24 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
You might want to consider going through Nashville the first day to avoid rush hour the next morning. I’d also recommend staying out of Nashville- Davidson County, as hotels are typically a lot more expensive here.

With that in mind, I’d recommend Dickson, exit 172. There is a brand new Fairfield, a Hampton Inn, and holiday inn express right off the interstate.

To put the cost difference into perspective, the Hampton Inn in Dickson is $118, whereas the Hampton Inn in Bellevue on the edge of Nashville, about 25 mins from Dickson, is $180.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
You might want to consider going through Nashville the first day to avoid rush hour the next morning. I’d also recommend staying out of Nashville- Davidson County, as hotels are typically a lot more expensive here.

With that in mind, I’d recommend Dickson, exit 172. There is a brand new Fairfield, a Hampton Inn, and holiday inn express right off the interstate.

To put the cost difference into perspective, the Hampton Inn in Dickson is $118, whereas the Hampton Inn in Bellevue on the edge of Nashville, about 25 mins from Dickson, is $180.
That's a good suggestion.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee