U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 PM

5,834 posts, read 2,323,792 times
Do you know why there are no Motel 6's in Amish country? Because they can't leave the light on for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,431 times
Smile We moved to Lawrenceburg area too

I'm laughing as I read some of these posts because it is like seeing a history of our travels. We too relocated to the area earlier this year from DC. Why? Well, if you think Lawrenceburg has traffic, then you've never driven in DC, LA, Las Vegas, NYC, or any of the other major cities that we've lived / worked in. Right now if there is 1 car coming down our road at the same time we're trying to pull out of the drive - that's considered traffic around here. While I have seen some 'traffic' in town, it's nothing compared to other major cities.
As for the Amish, it's funny to read the responses here as well. Just reinforces what I've seen with my new-ness to the area and my talks with folks in Lawrenceburg and my talks with the Amish. Many of my new friends are Amish. And many of the folks I talk with in town don't seem to like them and can be quite vocal about it. But the really interesting thing is that those same folks who are vocal, are also the same ones attending religious services many times a week. I just don't get it.
So, if you are considering relocating, I'd say go for it. I also telecommute. We aren't in-town, but we are near Ethridge. Had to go for satelite hook-up to get web access for work, but it's worked great. We have kids about the same age and with similar gifts. From what we've seen so far, there are a number of options here in the Lawrenceburg area, and if you need a bigger city 'fix' for a larger theater or event, it's about an hour to Nashville or Huntsville, and quite easy driving.
Tornadoes are here along with rains, floods, and other similar stuff you get weather wise no matter where you are. But, much less chance of terrrorist attacks that our family worked and lived through - and would like to avoid going forward. Sounds like you know the drill with tornadoes, so you'll do fine.
I don't know where Penny's is, but there's Goody's in Lawrenceburg and if you're into thrift shops, there's plenty of consigment shops around as well that you can find some good things for everyone. We're about 45 minutes from Columbia & Spring Hill. All kinds of new shops in Spring Hill.
No big box lumber / home stores here, but plenty of saw mills and hardware stores that generally have everything you need - or can get it quickly. But if you need the box guys, there's Home Depot in Pulaski and Lowe's in Columbia.
As for dr services, etc, there's lots to choose from. One thing I've noticed though is that there aren't as many options with our current insurance carrier, so you might want to check that. Seems that most of the pediatricians require a pre-registration & approval before kids can be seen, so plan in advance of a sick visit. Otherwise, there are urgent care facilities, and just like everywhere - some are better than others.
There's every fast food you can think of, and lots of family run restaurants.
As for schools, I don't know much about the schools in Lawrenceburg, but I've heard that Ethridge schools are quite good. (We go to private school.) I really haven't heard anything bad about any of them - only good things.
Economy is depressed, but not as bad as some places we've lived recently in upstate NY and central PA. Don't expect your home to resell quickly if you change your mind. They seem to stay on the market for a while.
Auctions are big around here, so you might find a good bargain that way, or a fix-up type.
And like all towns, there are good neighborhoods and not as good. You'll know your preferences as you travel around town checking things out.
We wish you the best in your adventures and travels! And don't take everyone's opinion as what things are really like. Sounds like you don't and that you'll form your own opinion.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM

631 posts, read 1,639,011 times
Default moving soon...

Thanks Jane,
I have a friend that lives in Lawrenceburg.
She's been sending me updates.
I've also been in touch with a realtor, and my friend has visited several houses for me.

We'll be down in the spring '09 to see what area we like best.
I've been keeping an eye on several houses on the market, one of the houses is in Ethridge.
If not that house, I'm sure there will be another one.
It's getting closer to our move.
Unfortunately, we have to go through one more winter here.

My 9 year old is excited, because she will be closer to a good friend of hers, and her grandpa lives in White House, which is only a couple of hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee